Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Voigtländer SLII lenses discontinued for Pentax PKA
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Voigtländer SLII lenses discontinued for Pentax PKA Reply with quote

And a few more lenses. Pretty sad IMHO:

COLOR-HELIAR 75mm F2.5 Black
COLOR-SKOPAR 20mm F3.5 SLII KA
ULTRON 40mm F2 SLII KA
NOKTON 58mm F1.4 SLII KA
APO-LANTHAR 90mm F3.5 SLII KA
ULTRA WIDE HELIAR 12mm F5.6 Aspherical

http://www.cosina.co.jp/seihin/voigt/english/dispo.html

I have heard the Zeiss ZK's will be discontinued too. So, if you have a Pentax and want one or more of those primes THEN ACT NOW! There will be NO more primes from Voigtländer/Zeiss for the PKA mount.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty sad news for us Pentaxians... The prices of PK/A versions Cosina/Zeiss lenses will only rise up Sad

With Tamron not releasing their new better lenses for PK mount, remains only Pentax, Sigma and Samyang....

What's wrong with Hoya/Pentax? Are they stopping licenses for PK/A mount lenses to third-parties? Or is Pentax perceived just like a cheap brand? So no top lenses for PK mount...

Maybe time to start selling my Pentax AF lenses and go for Canon or Nikon full-frame. But I do really like in-body stabilization...and dislike Sony's way of image quality....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cosina manufactures the Zeiss Z* line, and also holds the commercial ownership of the Voigtländer brand (and manufactures the Voigtländer SL series). While they have been known for introducing small-volume anti-mainstream lenses for many mounts, I think it was only a question of time before they discontinued some mounts. I read an interview last year where they stated that Canon/Nikon/Sony mount lenses sell in volumes whereas the other mounts sell "in hundreds".

Re-allocating the use of their production line makes sense, as they have to make room to manufacture the new Distagon 35/1.4 Z* and continue making SL II lenses. It is also possible that capacity previously used for PK/A lenses will be allocated to new SL II lenses, though this is pure speculation on my behalf.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought my first DSLR I was choosing between Pentax and SONY. I went with the SONY primarily because of the price I got, but had since considered Pentax Kx because of its low noise and good support of manual lenses. However, Pentax it seems has been slow in developing and has questionable long term support. On the other hand, SONY has just come out with two totally new cameras; A55 and A33 to rave reviews. I question the future of Pentax.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good thing I grabbed myself the 58mm Nokton, the S11 90mm Apo Lanthar and the Planar 50mm over the last few months with this announcement about no more PK lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will still be the Zeiss ZS (m42 mount) lenses if Cosina isn't discontinuing that line as well (I can't imagine they sell many of those either though).

Perhaps some Voitgländer SL(II)'s can be Leitaxed for Pentax too.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Certainly not happy news. Maybe - and I freely acknowledge that I may be viewing the situation through the filter of my own personal priorities - it's more difficult to justify producing premium full-frame lenses for a mount that seems unlikely, in the near term at least, to find itself attached to a full-frame camera.

Of course, the most powerful reason for the discontinuation of these lenses is an economic one: the K-mount versions don't sell in high enough numbers to sustain production. But at some point all of these factors converge. Canon, Nikon and Sony all manufacture full-frame cameras; Pentax seems to have little interest. If I manufactured high-end aftermarket automotive suspension equipment, and a car brand showed no enthusiasm for producing performance models that could benefit most significantly from my upgraded equipment, I don't think I'd keep those specific pieces in production.

(And as for the M42 versions, adaptability alone presumably warrants keeping them in production.)

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the new compact prime series from Zeiss have interchangeable mount
if they do the same for more lens, maybe pka will have a come back via adaptall

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
I read an interview last year where they stated that Canon/Nikon/Sony mount lenses sell in volumes whereas the other mounts sell "in hundreds".

Maybe Pentax users ar happy with their high-quality Limited primes, which are also designed with manual focusing on mind. So unlike Canon and Sony users, they have no reason to search alternative solutions.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
Esox lucius wrote:
I read an interview last year where they stated that Canon/Nikon/Sony mount lenses sell in volumes whereas the other mounts sell "in hundreds".

Maybe Pentax users ar happy with their high-quality Limited primes, which are also designed with manual focusing on mind. So unlike Canon and Sony users, they have no reason to search alternative solutions.

Indeed; us Pentaxians have many choices when it comes to primes. It's tough for any 3rd party maker to sell similar lenses, even when they're superb.

I think Cosina-Voigtländer could have made more money by just dropping all Voigtländer lenses for the PKA mount save for one: the 125mm f/2.5 Apo-Lanthar. This is the one Voigtländer lens I think could sell better in Pentax land.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I sold my FA 50 f1.4 to fund my Voigtlander 58 and happy I did. I've yet to acquire or even try any of the Pentax limited lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xjjohnno wrote:
Well I sold my FA 50 f1.4 to fund my Voigtlander 58 and happy I did. I've yet to acquire or even try any of the Pentax limited lenses.

There's no doubt that the Pentax Limiteds are the best built AF lenses ever made, at least IMHO.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
I question the future of Pentax.

The K-r promises to deliver astonishing high-ISO performance and the K-5 will be the best Pentax APS-C DSLR ever. The 645D seems to sell like hot cakes.

I think there is a bright future for Pentax, their first full-frame will likely appear in 2012.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Class A wrote:
woodrim wrote:
I question the future of Pentax.

The K-r promises to deliver astonishing high-ISO performance and the K-5 will be the best Pentax APS-C DSLR ever. The 645D seems to sell like hot cakes.

I think there is a bright future for Pentax, their first full-frame will likely appear in 2012.

I think I'll hold on to my full frame star lenses a little longer Smile

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Class A wrote:
The 645D seems to sell like hot cakes.

Isn't the 645D for sale exclusively in Japan?

And was there any official statement from Pentax that they're planning to release a FF-camera, or are you just speculating? They actually just released another DX lens (35/2.4)...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhamB wrote:
Class A wrote:
The 645D seems to sell like hot cakes.

Isn't the 645D for sale exclusively in Japan?

The 645D will be for sale worldwide soon. The only problem is that Pentax cannot make them fast enough (it's always sold out in Japan).

Quote:

And was there any official statement from Pentax that they're planning to release a FF-camera, or are you just speculating? They actually just released another DX lens (35/2.4)...

Pentax officially stated that they were thinking about it, nothing more. The 35/2.4 has the same optical layout as the fullframe SMC Pentax-FA 35mm f/2 AL, so it is possible that it will work on fullframe. At least one website has declared it a fullframe lens.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I hope the patience of you Pentaxians will pay off and that Pentax will come around and release a FF body soon. So far they thought that the world would be satisfied with crop, while they couldn't even succesfully market those camera's.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read on a blog that Zeiss will bring out their full lineage of MF lenses for Sony A-mount.
Perhaps Cosina needs the capacity for these now?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
the new compact prime series from Zeiss have interchangeable mount
if they do the same for more lens, maybe pka will have a come back via adaptall

Which series is that?
Other than the ZX series?
I do not see something else on the Zeiss lens shop.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Class A wrote:
I think there is a bright future for Pentax, ...

I agree. Pentax will not vanish from business.
They have always managed to find their own track and have grown a group of fans that has always supported them.

Class A wrote:
... their first full-frame will likely appear in 2012.

Is that more than a rumor?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blende8 wrote:
Just read on a blog that Zeiss will bring out their full lineage of MF lenses for Sony A-mount.

I'm quite sure that Cosina isn't going to make the Sony/Zeiss lenses. Sony will be making those Zeiss lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant the MF lenses.
Cosina is making them. This is fact.
I don't know who is making the Zeiss AF lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blende8 wrote:

Do you have a link for that? I know some Sony users who will be really happy if that is true. The Sony Zeiss lenses are good, but not the same designs as the Zeiss Z-series.

blende8 wrote:
I don't know who is making the Zeiss AF lenses.

They are made by Sony in the factories that they took over from Minolta. They still make a number of the same Minolta AF-lenses there but just re-branded them to Sony.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Today I talked to the Zeiss guy at IBC, and he told me that at Photokina they will launch the full MF line of lenses for A-mount (18mm all the way to 100mm (including the 50 1.4), they start with bringing the 100 macro on the market at beginning 2011).
Also, he said Zeiss/Sony will release a new lens at photokina (besides the 24)!!!
He said he couldn't tell me what lens, though he said it's a very big one.
Could this be the CZ 200mm? "

http://feeds.zeissrumors.com/~r/ZeissRumors/~3/-Ip7MqSoXcY/complete-manual-focus-lineup-in-mount.html