Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Jena 180mm f2.8 P6 - problem with aperture ring
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Jena 180mm f2.8 P6 - problem with aperture ring Reply with quote

Hello,

I have recently acquired this lens from eBay and upon inspection the diaphragm is either stuck or missing altogether. I am hoping it's the former because it can be repaired but I have no way of ascertaining if that is the case or not. I have another CZJ 300mm f4.0 P6 mount, when it's shaken the diaphragm assembly rattles around quite loudly but on the 180mm it's very quiet. If anyone has the same lens, can you peer at the lens with the diaphragm wide open to see if the aperture blades can be seen or not? Or given a shake to listen to the lens for any distinct sound that might verify the presence of the diaphragm assembly? I would like to repair and keep the lens rather than returning it for a refund because the lens is in excellent condition other than the problem with the diaphragm assembly.

Your help would be much appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just sold one on eBay, when adapted to Nikon D2H it worked fine and aperture control was without problems, but now buyer is returning the lens to me because he wrote there is no aperture control with his adapter to Sony alpha mount... I suspect incompatibility with adapter is reason, but I can't confirm or help you out before I have received the lens, returned back to me.

You aren't by any chance from South Korea, are you? Cool

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problems to aperture are unfortunately quite common with CZJ lenses and with the Sonnar 180 especially. One of my two copies has this problem and I need to take it to servicing - still have to find the time to as my repair person lives 120 Kms away.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Carl Zeiss Jena 180mm f2.8 P6 - problem with aperture ri Reply with quote

tadwil wrote:
Hello,

I have recently acquired this lens from eBay and upon inspection the diaphragm is either stuck or missing altogether. I am hoping it's the former because it can be repaired but I have no way of ascertaining if that is the case or not. I have another CZJ 300mm f4.0 P6 mount, when it's shaken the diaphragm assembly rattles around quite loudly but on the 180mm it's very quiet. If anyone has the same lens, can you peer at the lens with the diaphragm wide open to see if the aperture blades can be seen or not? Or given a shake to listen to the lens for any distinct sound that might verify the presence of the diaphragm assembly? I would like to repair and keep the lens rather than returning it for a refund because the lens is in excellent condition other than the problem with the diaphragm assembly.

Your help would be much appreciated.

I have stucked one also, I see blades in , return it and buy an another one.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
I just sold one on eBay, when adapted to Nikon D2H it worked fine and aperture control was without problems, but now buyer is returning the lens to me because he wrote there is no aperture control with his adapter to Sony alpha mount... I suspect incompatibility with adapter is reason, but I can't confirm or help you out before I have received the lens, returned back to me.

You aren't by any chance from South Korea, are you? Cool

Thanks for the reply. I am using these lenses with the Pentax adapter on a K20D and the adapter has no bearing on the aperture control or anything else - strictly Av mode with stop down metering - so I am somewhat surprised that aperture can be controlled by the adapter. Perhaps Sony does - I live on the west coast of Canada.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using genuine adapeters , M42 and Exakta trouble free, I had Nikon Chinese made it was also trouble free. I don't think so any Chinese made is this wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Problems to aperture are unfortunately quite common with CZJ lenses and with the Sonnar 180 especially. One of my two copies has this problem and I need to take it to servicing - still have to find the time to as my repair person lives 120 Kms away.

Thanks for your reply, somewhat mollified and chagrined at the same time to find that this problem is not uncommon. Can you look into the lens and see if you can identify the aperture blades? I am trying to determine if the Aperture blades are just stuck or was removed altogether. Whether to return the lens or get it repaired, because cosmetically the lens is in a very ,very good condition.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Problems to aperture are unfortunately quite common with CZJ lenses and with the Sonnar 180 .....

I hacked into your post to mention that the problems mentioned are with the Zebra model.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copies are MC.
The stuck one will be sold after I get it fixed by service.
I have no idea how to look into the lens, I'm sorry. Also I would not want to, because under all other respect, the lens is a jewel. I prefer to pay what is necessary and committ to professionals.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can you look into the lens and see if you can identify the aperture blades?

Quote:
I have no idea how to look into the lens, I'm sorry. Also I would not want to, because under all other respect, the lens is a jewel. I prefer to pay what is necessary and committ to professionals.

Laughing I think tadwil just wants a view through the lens wide open, not to dismantle it.

My 2.8/180 is the 'star wars' version just prior to the 'zebra'. Looking through it wide open, I can not see the aperture blades.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fergus,

Thanks for clarifying that, I never thought it would be understood any otherwise. Surprised

Orio,

Mine is five digit serial numbered MC and what I was asking was that you look through the front element with a small flashlight shining on the inside of the lens and rotate the aperture ring. Please tell me where the aperture blades are, the color of the blades, and are the blades visible when the aperture is wide open? I wouldn't dream of asking anyone to dismantle their lens, which I think is the precise cause of the problem with my lens - someone inexperienced in lens repair opened it up and improperly reassembled it - there is a screw missing from the rear P6 mount of the lens.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have taken a picture of the inside of the lens where I think the aperture blades are located. If any member here can either confirm or refute my finding, I can make the decision whether to keep the lens or return it for refund.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty much like iris blades.

I had a stuck aperture some ~ 10 years ago on my Zeiss Jena Sonnar 180/2,8 MC for Pentacon Six too. I opend the lens a bit and cleaned the aperture blades and I think parts of the mechanics - without full opening of the iris mechanics, and without full cleaning.
One part of the mount mechanics seems to me unused, and I did not put it back. As far as I tested it back then, it worked well without that ring. It seems that ring was for an exposure measurement with open iris - at least that was my finding back then.

Due to my not full cleaning of the lens the aperture stuck sometimes in the past (I do not use that lens often) but I could bing it back to life with some movement of the iris ring and the pin.