Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Problem with Contax IIIa+Sonnar 50/1.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:41 am    Post subject: Problem with Contax IIIa+Sonnar 50/1.5 Reply with quote

I received my Contax IIIa and Sonnar 50/1.5 earlier this week. This old 1957 masterpiece is still shinning but inevitably has problems too. The diaphragm ring is rather tight. I have to have the lens locked at infinity before trying to turn the diaphragm ring otherwise it is focus, instead of aperture that will be adjusted. Is it a normal procedure for this camera and lens combo to lock before turning, even if the diaphragm ring is not so tight as mine?

Then comes another question: as a matter of fact I can make focus by simply turning the lens, but will this damage the mechanism? The focus wheel on my Contax IIIa is heavy too.

By searching the forum I know Orio and F16SUNSHINE (Andy) have Contax IIa or IIIa and some others have Kiev 4 but I was not able to find answers to my questions so I'm posting this topic. Thank you very much for your help.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Problem with Contax IIIa+Sonnar 50/1.5 Reply with quote

x.z. wrote:
I received my Contax IIIa and Sonnar 50/1.5 earlier this week. This old 1957 masterpiece is still shinning but inevitably has problems too. The diaphragm ring is rather tight. I have to have the lens locked at infinity before trying to turn the diaphragm ring otherwise it is focus, instead of aperture that will be adjusted. Is it a normal procedure for this camera and lens combo to lock before turning, even if the diaphragm ring is not so tight as mine?

It's not normal, you need to have the lens serviced.

Quote:
Then comes another question: as a matter of fact I can make focus by simply turning the lens, but will this damage the mechanism? The focus wheel on my Contax IIIa is heavy too.

You can focus the lens from the barrel. It is more convenient to focus with the wheel for two reasons: 1- your hand does not interfere with the rangefinder vision and 2- you don't risk to unlock the lens if focusing ring is stiff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much Orio.

This camera is not so popular around here, I wonder if any local camera man would like to take care of it. I'll try some lubrication first.

I did notice the interference with rangefinder when hold the camera like a Leica or even when tweak the wheel with index finger. I'll find a way to hide my middle finger Smile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

x.z. wrote:

This camera is not so popular around here, I wonder if any local camera man would like to take care of it. I'll try some lubrication first.

I did notice the interference with rangefinder when hold the camera like a Leica or even when tweak the wheel with index finger. I'll find a way to hide my middle finger Smile

If you not find any good expert, I have one here at Hungary, he is currently fix my Contax IIa what I did purchase.
I am very happy KIEV user , much more cheaper and I have many of them which has better quality what I could buy from Contax.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, x.z.
Orio is perfectly correct.

Fixing the aperture ring on the lens should be easy for a competent repairer. The focus wheel on Contaxes has a stiff feeling to it very often and needs some effort to work it with your forefinger. Dismantling the body to attend to it - IF it actually needs attention - is probably best left to a repairer who is familiar the Contax.

If the lens rotates smoothly when using the milled ring on it, then the body almost certainly doesn't need any attention. Because of the gearing in the mechanism, Contax focusing never has the same silky smooth feeling you get with other cameras. I find it's easier to turn the lens rather than the wheel. It won't harm anything. Bring your left hand up from below the camera and you won't block the viewfinder/rangefinder windows.

The easiest way to change aperture without moving the focus is to press your right forefinger hard down on the wheel.

It's a great old camera, I hope everything else works perfectly for you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
x.z. wrote:

If you not find any good expert, I have one here at Hungary, he is currently fix my Contax IIa what I did purchase.
I am very happy KIEV user , much more cheaper and I have many of them which has better quality what I could buy from Contax.

Thank you for your offer. I just have this camera shipped all the way from Canada to me. It'll travel around the world a whole circle if I ship it again to Hungary Very Happy

That's right Kiev is much much cheaper and they have very good lenses too. It's sad to find out that Jupiter 12 can't fit on Contax IIIa Sad

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
Hi, x.z.
Orio is perfectly correct.

Fixing the aperture ring on the lens should be easy for a competent repairer. The focus wheel on Contaxes has a stiff feeling to it very often and needs some effort to work it with your forefinger. Dismantling the body to attend to it - IF it actually needs attention - is probably best left to a repairer who is familiar the Contax.

If the lens rotates smoothly when using the milled ring on it, then the body almost certainly doesn't need any attention. Because of the gearing in the mechanism, Contax focusing never has the same silky smooth feeling you get with other cameras. I find it's easier to turn the lens rather than the wheel. It won't harm anything. Bring your left hand up from below the camera and you won't block the viewfinder/rangefinder windows.

The easiest way to change aperture without moving the focus is to press your right forefinger hard down on the wheel.

It's a great old camera, I hope everything else works perfectly for you.

Many thanks for your advice Stephen. I'm at ease now knowing that focus the "traditional way" won't damage the camera.

I didn't have time to finish the first test roll yet. I'll upload some scans if the result doesn't turn out to be a mess and if it does, it must be my poor photographing skills Smile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps not all J12, I found they have diameter differences, for example my ZK 5cm lens not fit into early KIEV body and not even fit to a latest one, but fit into a third one Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Perhaps not all J12, I found they have diameter differences, for example my ZK 5cm lens not fit into early KIEV body and not even fit to a latest one, but fit into a third one Laughing

Please inform me if you find a J12 that fits your IIa Wink

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remind me a pm in 2 weeks later I will try my lenses into IIa body, currently my IIa on maintenance, my IIA is made in Stuttgart latest one.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm posting some test shots here

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1209969.html#1209969