Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 200mm shoot out....f/8 & f/11 with crops
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Vivitar 200mm shoot out....f/8 & f/11 with crops Reply with quote

ISO 200 f/8 1/80 sec & f/11 1/40 sec manual mode at 35-40 feet distance.

Vivitar T4 200mm f/3.5 with tripod mount

f/8

Crop

f/11

Crop

Vivitar 200mm f/3.5 Bright Band lens

f/8

crop

f/11

crop

Vivitar T4 200mm f/3.5 without tripod mount

f/8

crop

f/11

crop

Vivitar Series 1 200mm f/3.0

f/8

Crop

f/11

Crop

Vivitar 200mm f/3.5 Komine made with rubber focus grip

f/8

Crop

f/11

Crop

Vivitar 200mm f/3.5 Kiron made with metal focus ring

f/8

Crop

f/11

Crop

Vivitar 200mm f/3.5 Komine made with metal focus grip

f/8

Crop

f/11

Crop

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Komine with rubber grip looks disappointing! I surely did not expect that.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:

Do not despair as it could be my focusing at fault. I did my very best focusing but still it is a matter of my determination of a good focus that may be at fault.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very useful Big Dawg. You've certainly done me an enormous favor by posting these tests.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:

It's a focusing error for sure. Other than focusing errors, I'd say that all the lenses look similar stopped down.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to me the Kiron-made f/3.5 is the obvious winner. And I think the Komine-made one with the metal focusing ring was almost as good at f/8. Hard to believe things would soften up so much at f/11 with that lens, though.

Guess I'm a bit disappointed in the Series 1. I can see CA in the f/8 image, and neither are as good as the Kiron f/3.5

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Zen wrote:
Very useful Big Dawg. You've certainly done me an enormous favor by posting these tests.

Thank you Jeff but it ain't over yet. I still want to do another with them wide open.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
Minolfan wrote:

It's a focusing error for sure. Other than focusing errors, I'd say that all the lenses look similar stopped down.

I agree. The cheaper ones are really the Komine and Kiron with the metal focusing rings.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Well, to me the Kiron-made f/3.5 is the obvious winner. And I think the Komine-made one with the metal focusing ring was almost as good at f/8. Hard to believe things would soften up so much at f/11 with that lens, though.

Guess I'm a bit disappointed in the Series 1. I can see CA in the f/8 image, and neither are as good as the Kiron f/3.5

You've got to remember too that the 200f/3 is a PK mount and to get it to stop down you must use the green hyper manual button to set the exposure, then the camera stops it dow and sets the shutter speed for you. The screw mount lens you focus with it wide open then step them down manually with the shutter setting you choose. Just gives a bit different exposure from each of them.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, according to your descrpition for taking a pic with the S1 then, it still seems to me that that wouldn't affect the CA I see at f/8 (magenta fringing), and the softening at f/11, if not the lens's fault, would have to be from camera shake or missed focus then.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Well, according to your descrpition for taking a pic with the S1 then, it still seems to me that that wouldn't affect the CA I see at f/8 (magenta fringing), and the softening at f/11, if not the lens's fault, would have to be from camera shake or missed focus then.

Used a tripod with a 2 second timer and mirror lock-up.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm . . . did you take more than one shot at f/11? Just to be sure nothing funny happened? I'm asking all this because that particular lens is the same as the one I have. Lessee . . . I did some tests with that lens -- using film -- and a couple others. I'll have to dig for the pics.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I remembered I started a thread about my 200/3.5 and compared it with a couple of other lenses -- a Canon 200/4 and a Tamron SP 60-300, which is the best non-prime I have in that focal length.

Here's the thread:
http://forum.mflenses.com/vivitar-200mm-f-3-5-t21678.html

Be sure to check out page 2, where I show duplicates -- and not scans -- I took of three of the images, which show more detail.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Hmmm . . . did you take more than one shot at f/11? Just to be sure nothing funny happened? I'm asking all this because that particular lens is the same as the one I have. Lessee . . . I did some tests with that lens -- using film -- and a couple others. I'll have to dig for the pics.

That is why I want to shoot ten photos refocusing each time and post the best from each lens. With these photos I only had time for one shot at each f/stop for each lens.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dawg, jpeg from the camera? Any post processing?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Hey Dawg, jpeg from the camera? Any post processing?

I sharpened only with an action in Photoshop 7 so the exact same sharpening would be done to each one.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. I was wondering if I could take a similar shot with my lens for comparison. Don't know if it could be considered a fair comparison when it isn't the exact same subject and environment. I have a Komine standard f3.5 and the Series 1, and I could throw in the Minolta Beercan just for kicks.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodrim, I'd like to see your results. If you don't want to hijack BD's thread, then start your own, please.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do, Michael. Weeken almost here and I can use some lens therapy. Just a little earlier I posted some recent pictures, but not a comparison with another lens.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel free to add to my thread or start a new one. Either way I'd like to see the results myself.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd still like to shoot my lineup of 200mm Vivitars,but don't know when I'll get the time till next spring.

I've been busy with a lot of scheduling,expediting,conferences,safety prep, and the usual stacks of paperwork for preparation.

I had retired,but my old company wants me to run a few jobs for them through the fall and winter.I was hoping my old second in command could run the jobs,but there have been some incidents and accidents since I left.Unfortunately the last accident recently,resulted in the death of a young welder.Other then one foot injury,my crews had an unblemished safety record for over 20 years.

Piledriving here in the Northwest on the Puget Sound,we're only allowed to drive pile from August 15 to February 15...the second job for the Port of Tacoma involves driving almost a 1000 concrete pile offshore and a new 800' inshore seawall of sheet pile,and we won't be able to start driving pile till November...usually a job of this scope we would begin driving in August...so like Big Dawg I'll be working 7 x 12's or more through the winter till February or beyond,if we can obtain an extension of the driving dates outside the Fisheries window.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer Depp wrote:
I'd still like to shoot my lineup of 200mm Vivitars,but don't know when I'll get the time till next spring.

I've been busy with a lot of scheduling,expediting,conferences,safety prep, and the usual stacks of paperwork for preparation.

I had retired,but my old company wants me to run a few jobs for them through the fall and winter.I was hoping my old second in command could run the jobs,but there have been some incidents and accidents since I left.Unfortunately the last accident recently,resulted in the death of a young welder.Other then one foot injury,my crews had an unblemished safety record for over 20 years.

Piledriving here in the Northwest on the Puget Sound,we're only allowed to drive pile from August 15 to February 15...the second job for the Port of Tacoma involves driving almost a 1000 concrete pile offshore and a new 800' inshore seawall of sheet pile,and we won't be able to start driving pile till November...usually a job of this scope we would begin driving in August...so like Big Dawg I'll be working 7 x 12's or more through the winter till February or beyond,if we can obtain an extension of the driving dates outside the Fisheries window.

Drive safely my friend.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dawg!

After 38 years in this trade,you can imagine how many miles I've driven commuting all over the Northwest as well as out of state.With a little over a million an a half commuting miles racked up,I don't cotton to driving much anymore.Since I retired I mostly walk or ride my bike to town,so I only gas up the vehicles every other month or so for a trip...my hours may be longer then the crews,so I'll sleep on one of the rigs and drive home once every month or two till the jobs done.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer Depp wrote:
Thanks Dawg!

After 38 years in this trade,you can imagine how many miles I've driven commuting all over the Northwest as well as out of state.With a little over a million an a half commuting miles racked up,I don't cotton to driving much anymore.Since I retired I mostly walk or ride my bike to town,so I only gas up the vehicles every other month or so for a trip...my hours may be longer then the crews,so I'll sleep on one of the rigs and drive home once every month or two till the jobs done.

Kind of a working getaway? could be fun if that is what you are happy doing.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Boomer, I think Dawg meant that as a pun when he said "drive carefully". But sleeping on site for months - jeesh, that can get old real quick. At least take a camera; must be some interesting picture opportunities. And be safe.