Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Some thought about "sharpness"... (or rather "
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Some thought about "sharpness"... (or rather " Reply with quote

In a photo magazin from 2009 I have found a nice essay about "sharpness" and the problems to achieve it. Wink

It's in German. Allow me to summarize the main aspects:

- The higher pixel count causes an increasingly dense pixel pitch. A 15 MPix APS-C-Sensor needs an optical modulation of the image which is twice as high as on (analogue) film.

- Not only the lens needs to have higher resolution power, also the precision of the whole focus mechanism and the bayonet need to be more precise to focus directly on the sensor level.

- Thus Curvature of Field, focus shift or variation of rendering within one lens copy are also more visible, since there is a displacement of the AF-calculated and the real focus level.

- Lenses that are controlled and focused by small motor rods have a normal free play which prevents the necessary exactness. That's one of the reasons why more and more manufacturers change to lenses with internal focus drive.

- Many photographers want a faster AF which can be achieved by lighter focus elements which moves faster but needs more play and by a steeper thread translation. Both methods cause a less precise focusing. The good old volution of highly precise manual lenses are not suitable for fast-focusing AF lenses. (Tell us about it! Wink)

- Contrast-AF of compact cameras is more precise than the phase-AF of DSLRs but much slower so it is not used.

- The possible solution "manual focus" (hear, hear!) is often not usable, due to the super-bright matte screens inside the cams. In order to produce a bright viewfinder image with slow lenses (f/5.6 zooms), these superbright screens deflect the air image and thus do no longer base on a genuine matte screen*. The air image then does not have a defined position because the eye can re-focus on different levels estimating each one as "sharp".

- AF field indicators and other symbols that are casted on the screens distract the eye and impede the ability of the eye to focus correctly.

- APS and esp. 4/3 cams sport a smaller viewfinder and thus hamper precise focusing as well.

- Even LiveView does often not equal the image resolution (not even with the magnifying function) so that a mis-focus still is easily possible.

Conclusion: precise focusing is only possible when a lens with a not too steep focus translation and a suitable matte screen are used. (What a surprise! Wink)

----------------
*Some replacement screens can still do that (e.g. the EE-S for the 5D)

Last edited by LucisPictor on Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:10 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you mean that we've been correct all the time? Wink Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Some thought about "sharpness"... Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
AF field indicators and other symbols that are casted on the screens distract the eye and impede the ability of the eye to focus correctly.

That was also one of my main gripes with the 5D, whose focus points in the vf were incredibly distracting. I bought a spare screen (the one that sits on top of the focusing screen) so as to cut away most of it in order to free my vf from the focusing points. In the end it was easier to switch to the K-x, which has no focus indicators and coupled with an EE-S screen (cut to size) gives me a totally naked viewfinder. Smile

Thanks for summarizing the article!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for summarizing the article LucisPictor! I am enjoying all of your recent informative posts.

This essay might have been about 'Focus' imho. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe: focusing, PD and CD, AF and MF, in the future will all move to the main sensor (a la Fuji).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
So you mean that we've been correct all the time? Wink Laughing

It seems so. Wink

visualopsins wrote:
This essay might have been about 'Focus' imho. Wink

Yes, perhaps. But in this essay dissatisfying sharpness was mainly reduced to misfocus. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Some thought about "sharpness"... Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Conclusion: precise focusing is only possible when a lens with a not too steep focus translation and a suitable matte screen are used. (What a surprise! Wink)

Thanks for the translation.
I knew there was a reason I was doing this again Smile
http://www.pentaxuser.co.uk/forum/topic/split-focus-screen-for-k100d-adventure-22770
Pete