Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which Soligor lenses are worth having?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject: Which Soligor lenses are worth having? Reply with quote

I already have couple of them...
135mm/2
200mm/2.8
that i'm satisfied with and
28-80mm/3.5-4.5
that i'm not so satisfied

which other could be worth having?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You already have 2 of the rarer Soligors. If you want to stay in the same series. 28/2, 85 1/5, 105 2/8.
These are out of my price range, but I'm sure some of the members have these lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what you mean by "worth".

Most of them are at least OK for taking pictures well enough for me at least.

There are plenty of Soligor-brand tele-lenses in particular that are perfectly fine. Any lenses of 105-400mm are almost sure to be sharp enough for anyone.

Even almost all 28-35mm are fine on a crop sensor camera, nearly all the time.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soligor C/D 35/2 will be a very pretty lens too Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like using the Soligor 28.2.8 T4(metal kind) and I have an older 135/2.8 (metal kind) that I really like.
I am not fussed on the 70-235 M42 fixed mount (metal)...but to be honest I have not used it enough to really say it is no good.I think all lenses need you to take time with them and learn how they perform.If you can buy one for under $20 then I think it's worth buying to try out....then tell us how it went Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used an old all metal 135 2.8 for a while now and it's OK, I've had some good results with it.

I bought a 300 5.5 in the same series at the weekend ( both are M39 ) and a quick test with it looks very promising.

If I get a chance today I'll have a decent go with the 300.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
You already have 2 of the rarer Soligors. If you want to stay in the same series. 28/2, 85 1/5, 105 2/8.
These are out of my price range, but I'm sure some of the members have these lenses.

thanx Smile

by "worth" i mean that they are quality and sharp, because Soligor had several lens manufacturers and i'm sure they all are not same quality

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:

you have 200/2.8 soligor made by Tokina right now on ebay for buy it now price of 300$
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:

Hi,

I think I may not be fully understanding the notion of these lenses as a series; or it could be that you have versions of these lenses in mind than the ones I'm thinking of.

I have the 200/2.8 in the C/D series, and I know there was an earlier version that didn't carry the C/D designation - both auto lenses, in all-black finish. The C/D lens, I think, dates from the 1970s. My recollection is that the 28/2 is also a C/D lens, from the same era.

On the other hand, the 105/2.8 that comes immediately to mind, for me, is the T4 version - with the distinctive Soligor chrome "ears". Definitely earlier than the C/D lenses. I've got that one too, and I've been happy with the results from it. But price-wise, I wouldn't put it in the same class as the 200/2.8 or the 28/2. I've seen the 105 trade at very reasonable prices.

The 85/1.5, though - that's a very different creature. It's an earlier preset lens, and rather scarce. I don't have that one, but I do have its cousin, the 85/1.8. A lovely lens, in T-mount (and also quite uncommon), but I can't work out how it could be part of a "series" with those others. It's not the same lens as the 85/1.8 Vivitar preset T-mount, by the way.

It's hard, of course, to speak in generalities about Soligor lenses, if only because they were made by so many different manufacturers, in so many different versions, for so many years.

To answer the OP's question, these are the Soligors I've been happy with: 105/2.8 T4, chrome "ears"; 35/2.8 T4, chrome "ears"; 135/2.8 preset, chrome "ears"; 85/1.8 preset T-mount, all black; 200/4, auto, all-black, with the aperture ring "north" of the focus ring - a somewhat odd arrangement. In my experience, the 200/2.8 is a slightly above average performer: heavy and nicely styled, but not nearly as good as, say, the Vivitar Series 1 200/3, with which I believe it was intended to compete.

I briefly owned an example of the Soligor 100/2.8 C/D macro, and I wouldn't go out of my way to buy another. Mine was mechanically messed up in just about every way imaginable, although it was cosmetically near mint, and I've heard anecdotal reports of mechanical issues in other copies; so I'm not convinced of that lens's build quality.

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on the 105 T4 - to my eyes it is fully on par with the SMC Takumar 105

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
you have 200/2.8 soligor made by Tokina right now on ebay for buy it now price of 300$

Can't you get a Sonnar 200mm f/2.8 for that money?

I have a 35mm T4 that is a very decent lens, but I don't used it because I also have a Flektogon.

Univer: I've been wondering about the 105mm, can you ground this somehow by comparison to other known lenses? I'm wondering also if it has any distinctive characteristics. Thanks much.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good Soligor lens cost same as a good Russian, Carl Zeiss Jena or Tamron costs I prefer Carl Zeiss Jena over on Soligors. I had 200mm f2.8 it was okay but not comparable with Carl Zeiss Jena 200mm. I had 28mm f2 and I still have a zoom 70-205 which one that is good lens about same than Tamron SP zooms. I have a 35mm f2.8 pre-set Soligor what is crap really.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/Soligor/sligor_70-205_cd_f3_8/

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/Soligor/soligor_200mm_f2_8/
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/Soligor/Soligor_28mm_f2/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Which Soligor len worth having Reply with quote

Soligor 70-220 3.5 C/D zoom, made by Tokina,great len

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
WolverineX wrote:

Can't you get a Sonnar 200mm f/2.8 for that money?

I have a 35mm T4 that is a very decent lens, but I don't used it because I also have a Flektogon.

Univer: I've been wondering about the 105mm, can you ground this somehow by comparison to other known lenses? I'm wondering also if it has any distinctive characteristics. Thanks much.

Hi,

I wanted to think a bit before replying. In terms of putting the Soligor 105 in context: many of my 100s/105s are preset triplets, so it's understandable that the Soligor would be a very different lens. I don't own the Nikkor 105 (well, I owned one long ago, but I don't remember it well enough to make a comparison), the Kaleinar 100 or the Meyer 100. And to compare it to the Yashinon-DX 100/2.8 would be unhelpful, I suspect, simply because that doesn't seem to be a lens many people own.

I think I'm going to have to go along with Jussi here, and say that the T4 Tokina-made Soligor does not suffer by comparison with my Super-Tak or Super-Multi-Coated Tak 105. (I haven't owned the Auto-Tak 105 long enough to form any meaningful impressions.) It's a good-handling lens, nicely made. I've found it to be acceptably sharp wide-open, improving (naturally) when stopped down, with accurate color and decent bokeh. I seem to find lenses of 100/105 focal length easy to use in general, and this one is no exception.

I picked mine up for a good price, and I've seen them since at just-as-good prices. Then again, I occasionally see a Takumar 105 at an advantageous price, too. Given the choice between two lenses in equal condition and at equally good prices, I'd probably opt for the Tak. But if I already owned the Soligor, and a Tak came along at a good price, I don't think I'd bother with an "upgrade."

I have the feeling that's not terribly helpful, but I wanted to share whatever info I could.

Cheers,

Jon

PS I wouldn't pay $300 for the Soligor 200/2.8. At that price, I'm with you: I'd look for the Sonnar.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did try the classic 2.5/105 Nikkor. I had one for a few weeks and then sold it.

It is a very nice lens indeed, but I could not tell the difference between the Nikkor and my Vivitar T4 105 (Tokina-made like the Soligor), my Tamron Adaptamatic 105, Accura Diamatic 105, various Soligor preset 105's etc.

All of these seem to be Sonnar-type designs.

Maybe its just me, maybe I cannot see these differences.

The US market may be very different. Old Japanese-made lenses like the Soligors are often very, very cheap in the US, almost all German-made or Russian made lenses are expensive.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the 135mm 2.8 with a ten blade iris and a 300mm 5.5 with a twelve blade iris, both are M39, all metal.

The numbers are -
135. M163924
300. 375860

I've had decent pictures from the 135, once I got the hang of it, and I think the 300 will be the same.
I only got the 300 a few days ago, but I've tried it today and I'm impressed so far. The colours are a little flat, but that's soon corrected. The speed at 5.5 is slooooow, but on a tripod it's good and I got a few shots hand held that surprised me.

They're heavy, maybe not the greatest lenses optically, but they're fairly cheap and readily available, and the build quality of the two I have is 'weapons grade'

This was a hand held with the 300 from today's first real trial -
[/img]
Ironbridge power station by Mudplugga, on Flickr

and this is from the 135. Also hand held and a big crop from original
[img]
Sculpture at the Museum of Iron in Coalbrookdale. by Mudplugga, on Flickr
[/img]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Univer wrote:
walter g wrote:

Hi,

I think I may not be fully understanding the notion of these lenses as a series; or it could be that you have versions of these lenses in mind than the ones I'm thinking of.

I have the 200/2.8 in the C/D series, and I know there was an earlier version that didn't carry the C/D designation - both auto lenses, in all-black finish. The C/D lens, I think, dates from the 1970s. My recollection is that the 28/2 is also a C/D lens, from the same era.

On the other hand, the 105/2.8 that comes immediately to mind, for me, is the T4 version - with the distinctive Soligor chrome "ears". Definitely earlier than the C/D lenses. I've got that one too, and I've been happy with the results from it. But price-wise, I wouldn't put it in the same class as the 200/2.8 or the 28/2. I've seen the 105 trade at very reasonable prices.

The 85/1.5, though - that's a very different creature. It's an earlier preset lens, and rather scarce. I don't have that one, but I do have its cousin, the 85/1.8. A lovely lens, in T-mount (and also quite uncommon), but I can't work out how it could be part of a "series" with those others. It's not the same lens as the 85/1.8 Vivitar preset T-mount, by the way.

It's hard, of course, to speak in generalities about Soligor lenses, if only because they were made by so many different manufacturers, in so many different versions, for so many years.

To answer the OP's question, these are the Soligors I've been happy with: 105/2.8 T4, chrome "ears"; 35/2.8 T4, chrome "ears"; 135/2.8 preset, chrome "ears"; 85/1.8 preset T-mount, all black; 200/4, auto, all-black, with the aperture ring "north" of the focus ring - a somewhat odd arrangement. In my experience, the 200/2.8 is a slightly above average performer: heavy and nicely styled, but not nearly as good as, say, the Vivitar Series 1 200/3, with which I believe it was intended to compete.

I briefly owned an example of the Soligor 100/2.8 C/D macro, and I wouldn't go out of my way to buy another. Mine was mechanically messed up in just about every way imaginable, although it was cosmetically near mint, and I've heard anecdotal reports of mechanical issues in other copies; so I'm not convinced of that lens's build quality.

Cheers,

Jon

I was thinking of the C/D series lenses. I normally hear them called a series, but your right there were earlier versions of these lenses.
The pre 1974 lenses looked like they came from there makers. A tokina made lens looked like a Tokina.
Then they came out with the rubber grip lenses in 1974. as a general rule the 74 lenses had the chrome edge and 1975 lenses went to all black.

I really prefer the early lenses, mainley for looks. Smile

Sorry I should of been more specific. Smile Not trying to confuse the issue. It must have been a brain fart. Laughing ,

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@walter g: No worries! When it comes to Soligor, I tend to think confusion comes with the territory. Smile

I'm just glad there isn't an 85/1.5 C/D lens as well as the preset version. One unobtainable, unaffordable fast Soligor portrait lens is plenty for me.

@Lloydy: That's the 135mm model I was talking about. I've had good results from mine, and I do like the handling and styling.

Can I just ask: is it possible you meant to say M42 instead of M39?

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Univer
Start saving your money.

All the fast lenses I listed above were available pre 1974 made by Tokina.
Then in 1974 they were made by both Tokina and Sun.

So each lens including the 85 1.5 had at leat 3 versions maybe more.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my Soligor 135/2.8(taken with the Mamiya sekor 1.8/55) all black is it earlier than the chromed ring version with "ears"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
Univer
Start saving your money.

All the fast lenses I listed above were available pre 1974 made by Tokina.
Then in 1974 they were made by both Tokina and Sun.

So each lens including the 85 1.5 had at leat 3 versions maybe more.

Hmmm...interesting. Now you have me officially confused. (As opposed to casually confused, which is more or less my normal state.)

Focusing on the Soligor 85/1.5: are you saying that there are at least three distinct versions of this lens, some of them dating from the mid-1970s - presumably automatic-aperture designs?

I ask only because I have never encountered a single reference to any Soligor 85/1.5 other than the preset T-mount version (here and here) - same styling as my 85/1.8 preset, with the distinctive orange and green lettering. No photos, no catalog pages, no passing mentions, nothing. This is the only Soligor 85/1.5 in the vade mecum (my version of it, anyway), and it's the only one referenced in the widely circulated third-party lens database. When I see the lens discussed, it's invariably talked about in the singular: e.g., "the Soligor 85/1.5 is a rare lens."

I'm not challenging the statement, and I don't at all mean to put you on the spot, but I'd be awfully grateful if you could point me toward a Web reference or photo (of course, if you've got one, a photo of your lens would be even better). Since the existence of these other version(s) seems to have gone unrecorded, that would certainly extend our shared body of knowledge.

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Researching Soligors I've came up with some pretty weird stuff.
Like you the only version I'd seen of the Soligor 85 1.5 is the ones you've posted. Every version I've seen has been made about the same year.

Take a look at this version. Have you seen one that looked like this before. It is made by the same maker, but look at the differences.
Different version or design changes. You tell me what you think.
http://captjack.exaktaphile.com/Soligorpage.htm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there,

Thanks for the link. (I forgot to check with the good old Captain.)

I would probably class these differences - the single row of aperture numbers instead of double, and the green highlighting of the "16" instead of the "11" - as running cosmetic changes within a single version rather than a distinct version, but that's just me. Heaven knows there are similarly small differences among lenses and cameras that are generally accepted by collectors as version differences!

But at least these are all preset T-mounts, with most of the design details in common.

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked What a nice Soligor 85mm in that link!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a list floating around the net. I'm sure most people on this forum has seen it. It a list of lens with specs and builld dates from the 1960's thru the 1980's. It lists the Soligor 85 1.5 as coming out in 1968.
So there is an early version out there somewhere.Never seen one yet.

There was also a Miranda Soligor version made, that was out in 1967 possibly earlier.