Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

50mm MF Lens - a serious question.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: 50mm MF Lens - a serious question. Reply with quote

This is a serious question rather than a frivolous one.

I have a Canon f/1.4 EF lens. It's sharp, it does the things which I want a 50mm lens to do. It replaced a Mk1 nifty fifty EF 50mm f/1.8 which geve lovely results but sounded like.. well, crude.

I'm developing an interest in MF lens use and have so far acquired examples in 28mm, 135mm and 200mm.

Here's my serious question then: what could I get from a 50mm MF lens which my EF f/1.4 doesn't give me?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, one of the reasons many people start using MF lenses is to get quality, fast lenses at low prices. Many enthusiast photographers can't afford / aren't prepared to spend £300.00 on a 50/1.4 lens.

You already have the EF 50/1.4 so the differences you should be looking at are:

* Better build quality (metal v plastic)
* Better MF ring (if that's the way you wish to focus)
* Sharpness across the plane (the EF may already do this!)
* Character

The last one is very important. Personally, I love the 3D "pop" that my Zeiss Planars produce. I have the MkII 50/1.8 EF and I don't like the character anywhere near as much. So, for me it's the clincher but of course likes vary among photogaphers and character among lenses!! Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is depend what you like to get from a lens, to me all modern lens with a few exception is too neutral what you see what you get lenses.

I recommend to you to try following 50mm lenses by your self.

Carl Zeiss Jena Pancolar 50mm f1.4, 1.8, f2 M42
Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 50mm f2.8 M42
Carl Zeiss Tessar 50mm f2.8 Oberkochen M42
Carl Zeiss Planar 50mm f1.4 , 1.7 Contax
Nikkon 50mm f2, 1.8, 1.4 Nikon 50mm f3.5 macro
Olympus OM 50mm f3.5 macro, 1.4, 1.8
Nikon 50mm f1.2 , Pentax 50mm f1.2

etc etc all compatible with your camera

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/a-kea-my-favorite-parrot-in-budapest-zoo-t1134,highlight,kea.html

On above sample bird color is green, but old lens made it to brown what I like it pretty much.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila,

You'd have me buy and try over a dozen lenses there.... help like that I can barely afford Laughing Laughing

and you'd include a lens which takes a perfectly healthy green bird and turns it to a pretty but muddy brown? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikkathree wrote:
what could I get from a 50mm MF lens which my EF f/1.4 doesn't give me?

you will learn to focus and compose outside of the AF red marks
in other world, you will learn photography Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikkathree wrote:
Attila,

You'd have me buy and try over a dozen lenses there.... help like that I can barely afford Laughing Laughing

and you'd include a lens which takes a perfectly healthy green bird and turns it to a pretty but muddy brown? Rolling Eyes

Yes, in my opinion color changing many times better than genuine scene. As I told before if you like better to see same thing on pictures , modern lenses are good for you. If you like better to see something different old ones are better choice.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
tikkathree wrote:
what could I get from a 50mm MF lens which my EF f/1.4 doesn't give me?

you will learn to focus and compose outside of the AF red marks
in other world, you will learn photography Very Happy

Ah yes. With my new MF lenses I'm doing all kinds of thinking rather than just dialling in shutter speed or aperture and having a quick peep at ISO.

My question sought to identify any shortcomings in my EF 50 f/1.4: foolish me for thinking the answer might be a simple this or that. It's anything but!!!

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you want to explore why so many folks like the MF lenses, you should pick up a Helios 40 in any of its varieties. After that, you'll be hopelessly hooked!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the thing that convinced me to get manual focus lenses is trying to photograph birds while they are perched among the branches of a tree. The auto-focus would invariably focus on the leaves and limbs instead of the bird. Manual focusing solved this but that can also be done with a auto-focus lens, but it just feels different with them. I love the feel of a good manual focus lens as I twist the focus ring. A well dampened manual lens just screams quality to me as I turn it. But back to the reasons...one good one is the ability to vary the focus point for different effects. You can use the select focus but to me....I repeat to me...it is just easier with a manual focus lens.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The canon 50/1.4 is a bit soft wide open MF zeiss planar 50/1.7 is not.... Very Happy maybe the zeiss 50/1.4 will give the canon a go....if you want the extra light
It has better color for skin tones anyway ,and micro contrast

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty wrote:
The canon 50/1.4 is a bit soft wide open MF zeiss planar 50/1.7 is not.... Very Happy maybe the zeiss 50/1.4 will give the canon a go....if you want the extra light
It has better color for skin tones anyway ,and micro contrast

If I'm really picky I use mine at 1.8 and cut myself on the image. 1.6 is okay but 1.4 I prefer not to use.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No-one is mentioning the
Asahi Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4

I take it there's good reason for this. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

better tonal gradation (Leica lenses tend to excell in this category)
micro contrast (zeiss)
sharpness throughout the frame
color rendition
bokeh (crazy swirly type of biotars/helios, painterly brush stroke type bokeh, watercolor blotchy, etc)

This all culminates in character or the unique finger print of how they render a scene. Now, I'm not going to say you can see these differences in every pic taken with a certain lens. But once you understand the characteristics of the lens you can create a situation or condition that brings these unique characteristics to the forefront. There are many fine examples here and you can see the diversity of rendering amongst various 50/58mm lenses with the pics people have posted.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody can answer this questions for you !!!

Your eyes, your needs, your feeling about handling and the way you are taking pictures will make the difference in one or the other direction.
The only think we can do, is to give informations what a good lens could be in our opinions and some terms.. not more.

The best way... try to find a cheap Zuiko 1.4/50mm
try to find a cheap SMC Takumar 1.4/50mm

or as much 1.4/50mm lenses from older days.. and compair them against your Canon EF 1.4/50mm...

You will find some important differences.. in terms of sharpness, bokeh, Handling, 3D, color rendering..

Buy some good MF lenses and make clear for you, what you prefer.. you will see big differences.. for sure. And sell the lenses, which not fit to your needs..

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hinnerker wrote:
Nobody can answer this questions for you !!!

Your eyes, your needs, your feeling about handling and the way you are taking pictures will make the difference in one or the other direction.
The only think we can do, is to give informations what a good lens could be in our opinions and some terms.. not more.

The best way... try to find a cheap Zuiko 1.4/50mm
try to find a cheap SMC Takumar 1.4/50mm

or as much 1.4/50mm lenses from older days.. and compair them against your Canon EF 1.4/50mm...

You will find some important differences.. in terms of sharpness, bokeh, Handling, 3D, color rendering..

Buy some good MF lenses and make clear for you, what you prefer.. you will see big differences.. for sure. And sell the lenses, which not fit to your needs..

Cheers
Henry

+1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one has mentioned Minolta. Some of you may remember a trial I did with several 50 something lenses & the Minolta 50/1.4 was the best performer. I have yet to test it against two Russian lenses I have only recently acquired & I am guessing the Helios 44-2 will be stiff competition.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikkathree
Post photos with your 50 1.4 compare to other interesting lenses.
I primarily use a 58/1.2 Rokkor. And the picture is very different to me. And use it professionally. Wink

Last edited by francotirador on Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
It is depend what you like to get from a lens, to me all modern lens with a few exception is too neutral what you see what you get lenses.

I recommend to you to try following 50mm lenses by your self.

Carl Zeiss Jena Pancolar 50mm f1.4, 1.8, f2 M42
Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 50mm f2.8 M42
Carl Zeiss Tessar 50mm f2.8 Oberkochen M42
Carl Zeiss Planar 50mm f1.4 , 1.7 Contax
Nikkon 50mm f2, 1.8, 1.4 Nikon 50mm f3.5 macro
Olympus OM 50mm f3.5 macro, 1.4, 1.8
Nikon 50mm f1.2 , Pentax 50mm f1.2

etc etc all compatible with your camera

This list will lighten a bank account. Laughing Laughing You left out the Nikkor 58mm f1.2. Razz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue wrote:

This list will lighten a bank account. Laughing Laughing You left out the Nikkor 58mm f1.2. Razz

Just checked the price of that one: I wouldn't have a bank account!!
Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikkathree wrote:
Blue wrote:

Just checked the price of that one: I wouldn't have a bank account!!
Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

I could only afford the shade for one. I use it on my Pentax A 50mm f1.2.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikkathree wrote:
No-one is mentioning the
Asahi Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4

I take it there's good reason for this. Crying or Very sad

Yep, it'll hit the mirror of your 5D when focused beyond about 7-10m. Other than that, it's a character lens; not necessarily as sharp wide open as the Canon, but quite interesting in rendering.

I tried quite a few 50mm lenses. If you're interested in f/1.4, Contax Planar 50/1.4 is your best bet. Lots of "pop" and huge contrast. Yashica ML 50/1.4 gives about 80% of its performance at about 1/3 of the price. Nikkor 50/1.4 (Ai and AIS versions) is nice and sharp with lots of "pop", just like the Planar, but its bokeh is quite ugly wide open, and still dubious at f/2. Olympus Zuiko 50/1.4 (past 1,000,000 serial numbers) is a nice character lens with lots of "glow" and a very special bokeh wide open. Whether you like the way it draws or not is up to you, but it's a character lens for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to add plus one to the tally for the CZ Planar 1.7 or 1.4 (have 'em both).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to the post Franco.

http://forum.mflenses.com/four-50s-compared-t28276.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I am sure that you will have a batch of 50mm lenses soon.....