Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

50mm MF Lens - a serious question.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

revers wrote:
Here is a link to the post Franco.

http://forum.mflenses.com/four-50s-compared-t28276.html

And another one:
http://forum.mflenses.com/50s-wide-open-now-with-part-ii-t6804,highlight,50mm+test.html

Sometimes the search function helps a lot. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

revers wrote:
Here is a link to the post Franco.

http://forum.mflenses.com/four-50s-compared-t28276.html

I was referring to tikkathree post photos with the EF 50/1.4, for comparison.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikkathree wrote:
No-one is mentioning the
Asahi Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4

I take it there's good reason for this. Crying or Very sad

I would Wink
it's a great lens!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djmike wrote:
One thing I am sure that you will have a batch of 50mm lenses soon.....

You're not wrong...

UPDATE on acquisitions for which you lot take the credit/blame in equal measure:

Asahi Pentax Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4
Pentacon 50mm f/1.8
CARL ZEISS TESSAR 50MM F2.8

WATCHING: these at present.
CARL ZEISS JENA DDR 50MM F1.8 MC PANCOLAR
Meyer Optik Gorlitz Oreston 50mm f1.8
SMC Takumar 55mm f1.8
Canon Fl 50mm 1:1.4 lens

I've got to stop this. What I really want is fast lenses in the 100-200mm range.

Care to speculate how many by the end of July? Laughing Laughing Shocked Confused Laughing Shocked Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikkathree wrote:
djmike wrote:
One thing I am sure that you will have a batch of 50mm lenses soon.....

You're not wrong...

UPDATE on acquisitions for which you lot take the credit/blame in equal measure:

Pentacon 50mm f/1.8

WATCHING: these at present.
CARL ZEISS JENA DDR 50MM F1.8 MC PANCOLAR
Meyer Optik Gorlitz Oreston 50mm f1.8
SMC Takumar 55mm f1.8
Canon Fl 50mm 1:1.4 lens

I've got to stop this. What I really want is fast lenses in the 100-200mm range.

Care to speculate how many by the end of July? Laughing Laughing Shocked Confused Laughing Shocked Shocked

it's a good start Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:

Yep, it'll hit the mirror of your 5D when focused beyond about 7-10m. Other than that, it's a character lens; not necessarily as sharp wide open as the Canon, but quite interesting in rendering.

Not quite the done thing but I'd have to bung it on the 1DII

aoleg wrote:

I tried quite a few 50mm lenses. If you're interested in f/1.4, Contax Planar 50/1.4 is your best bet. Lots of "pop" and huge contrast. Yashica ML 50/1.4 gives about 80% of its performance at about 1/3 of the price. Nikkor 50/1.4 (Ai and AIS versions) is nice and sharp with lots of "pop", just like the Planar, but its bokeh is quite ugly wide open, and still dubious at f/2. Olympus Zuiko 50/1.4 (past 1,000,000 serial numbers) is a nice character lens with lots of "glow" and a very special bokeh wide open. Whether you like the way it draws or not is up to you, but it's a character lens for sure.

Oy vey!

My list!

My wallet!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex wrote:
I'd have to add plus one to the tally for the CZ Planar 1.7 or 1.4 (have 'em both).

Why thank you, how very Laughing Laughing generous of you LOL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikkathree wrote:

Pentacon 50mm f/1.8

They've arrived!

Nothing smites the mirror and playtime has begun!!

And what else shall I shop for? hmm!

You knw, I love the way MF lenses make me think and adjust every variable on the camera. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tikkathree Hello, would be now interesting to compare the manual lenses with the EF 50 1.4 which is also a good lens.
Welcome to addiction MF. Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

francotirador wrote:
Tikkathree Hello, would be now interesting to compare the manual lenses with the EF 50 1.4 which is also a good lens.

Yes, I've played with each to make sure they work and nothing strikes the mirroe etc. Tonight (hopefully) I'll take identical shots with each at their widest setting and all on the widest common setting which'll have to be f/2.8.

Right now the f/1.4 Super Tak is on the 5D and coming to work with me.

And still I'm on EBay looking at lenses... aaaaaaarrrgghhh!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
you will learn to focus and compose outside of the AF red marks in other world, you will learn photography Very Happy

ha it's funny, cause i also had a 1.8 that i sold , then got a 1.4 AF ... well it's a very good lens, no doubt, but as i come from film i loved the focusing by yourself. I sold it to get a Zeiss Very Happy.

So yes you'll learn photo tricks a bit more, more important you won't be AF slave anymore.

Try a Planar 50mm, which is cheaper or a Olmypus Zuiko, or any another M42 lens and tell us your thoughts about MF.

For me it's a pleasure to manual focus Cool

welcome by the way

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikkathree wrote:
francotirador wrote:

Yes, I've played with each to make sure they work and nothing strikes the mirroe etc. Tonight (hopefully) I'll take identical shots with each at their widest setting and all on the widest common setting which'll have to be f/2.8.

Right now the f/1.4 Super Tak is on the 5D and coming to work with me.

And still I'm on EBay looking at lenses... aaaaaaarrrgghhh!

I think that if you ever tried the SMC Tak 50/1.4, find much difference with the Super Takumar.

Relax, or the effects of addiction can be worse.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
Try a Planar 50mm, which is cheaper or a Olmypus Zuiko, or any another M42 lens and tell us your thoughts about MF.

BTW, I found latest Olympus Zuiko 50/1.8 lenses (those that have "made in Japan" on the front ring) to be only second to Planar 50/1.7 in sharpness, contrast and color definition. I like Zuiko's bokeh better than Planar's, so for me it's a better choice - especially when you consider the price differential.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great lens, great shot. Congrats for the two.