Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New Arrival: Vivitar 135/2.8 SN28509265
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: New Arrival: Vivitar 135/2.8 SN28509265 Reply with quote

Today I found at small local antique market this lens in mint condition.
I bought it and did not expect very much of it.
Untill I tried it.... it is sharp wide open, nice bokeh and gets very sharp when stopped down.
This one was really big surprise.

It seems i need to collect more vivitars Wink

100% crops no sharpening

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats for this great lens!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! It holds true that there's no such thing as a bad 135mm lens. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not surprising to me. I've posted about that lens. Quite sharp with great colors and low CA.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought it I was expecting lots of CA and horrific sharpness wide open.
Everything turned out very different.
And for 7$ I can not complain Smile

This lens is going to be one of my favorites.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After seeing this post, it reminded me that I did not try this lens with a recent subject. I've been photographing a tiny spider for the past three weeks, trying to get the perfect picture. Hundreds of clicks later I still don't have a perfect shot, but many good ones.

I've used the following lenses and combinations:
Zeiss Flektogon 35mm f/2.4
Vivitar Close Focus 28mm
Helios 44-2 with short extension tube
Standard Vivitar 200mm with extension tube
Vivitar Series 1 200mm with and without extension tube
Vivitar Series 1 135mm with and without extension tube

The best shots came from the Helios and Flek. The Close Focus 28mm was a close second to the Flek, but actually produced more usable images. I was able to get good shots with all lenses, but those top three did the best. Today I took out the standard Vivitar 135mm, which is the subject of the post. I used the sam extension tube, which is actually a 2x tele-extender with glass removed.

I'm amazed how well this lens did, and it will become one of my go-to lenses for macro with this short extender. For one, the focus was the easiest of all the lenses I tried. It was much more clear when the spider poped into focus, and consequently I received the greatest percentage of usable pictures. In fact, some of the better shots I've gotten overall. The Flek provided the smallest percentage of in focus shots.

I would gladly provide pictures from each lens if anyone should ask, but this post is about the Standard V-135, so here are a couple from today. Oh, I should also tell you that the spider is very tiny, about 1/2" including the long legs.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh oh!! You are now infected with the Vivitar version of LBA. Join the crowd!! That is one of the good ones from Vivitar. Love mine and should use it more but so many lenses(and getting more every day) prevents me from using one too much. Keep that lens...It won't disappoint!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also unexpectedly very impressed so far with the C/Y Vivitar 300MM zoom I have. Compared to the other C/Y 200MM lens I have it's very sharp and very easy to focus. The other one actually isn't a bad lens, supposedly, but next to the Vivitar it pales a bit somehow. I'm very much looking forward to that Vivitar T-mount (M42) I have coming.

I'm definitely still a Takumar fan but with my budget being what it is these Vivitar's are proving to be a real bargain in terms of price and quality and I am definitely going to be on the lookout for any I can pick up cheaply if this 300MM is any indication of how good they are.

I don't think I could consider it wasting the $5-10 when it comes to acquiring more lenses like these.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm you have persuaded me to pack my rarely used Viv 135mm f2.8 for my holiday. My backpack of 35mm gear is now 9kg/20Ibs Shocked
Oh wait I've forgotten why I don't use it, well I have a Canon 135 f3.5 and Meyer 13 blade 135mm so I think I'll take the Meyer for some portrait shots instead.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of all my 135's I have this one surprised me the most.
I never thougth I could find a 135 that could rival my CZJ 135/3.5 in terms of color/contrast (and in some cases even in sharpness). But his one is really nice. Especially if you see what they are going for. There are also some versions of this lens with lower quality. This ones seems to bemade by Komine.
Not every Vivitar 135/2.8 is the same in terms of quality.

Excalibur wrote:
erm you have persuaded me to pack my rarely used Viv 135mm f2.8 for my holiday. My backpack of 35mm gear is now 9kg/20Ibs Shocked
Oh wait I've forgotten why I don't use it, well I have a Canon 135 f3.5 and Meyer 13 blade 135mm so I think I'll take the Meyer for some portrait shots instead.

Last edited by zippie on Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Komine also made a nice 135/2.8, apparently. Smile Your crops look pretty crisp.
Build quality should be nice too, like my Komine Vivitar 28/2.0.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

magkelly wrote:
I'm also unexpectedly very impressed so far with the C/Y Vivitar 300MM zoom I have. Compared to the other C/Y 200MM lens I have it's very sharp and very easy to focus.

magkelly: Which lens is that? Did you mean to say "zoom"? Or is it a fixed length?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 75-300MM MC 1:4.5-5.6 (#77412825)

Now it's true I don't have much to compare it with yet, but it does seem quite a bit more sharp to me when compared to my Kotaishi MC 80-200 MC 1.45. That's not supposed to be too bad according to what I've read so far but the Vivitar is definitely better.

That 75-300MM is half the reason I went after the M42 Vivitar I just got. I was holding out for a 200MM Takumar, but the optics on the 300MM surprised me and I eventually decided to try another one for my SPII. I love the Takumars I've got but recently they're just getting too pricey for me to be able to afford them. I really wanted to add a 28MM and a 200MM Takumar to my SPII kit but I've priced them and I can't go there just yet, shrug.

I got a 75-260mm f/4.5 Vivitar with a T-mount and M42 adapter last week for $5 plus shipping. If it's as good as the Vivitar C/Y 300MM I think I'll like it just fine. I'm still learning so it's okay if all of my lenses aren't the better, most expensive ones. I'll save being ultra picky for later when I know more about lenses and I'm actually more qualified to use them well.

;p

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$5 is a hard to beat price; I hope that's not your limit Laughing I paid twice that for my 135mm. If you're still looking for a 28mm, I suggest another Vivitar; the Close Focus version by Komine. It must say "Close Focus" on the front. Superb lens.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

magkelly wrote:
It's a 75-300MM MC 1:4.5-5.6 (#77412825)

Now it's true I don't have much to compare it with yet, but it does seem quite a bit more sharp to me when compared to my Kotaishi MC 80-200 MC 1.45. That's not supposed to be too bad according to what I've read so far but the Vivitar is definitely better.

That 75-300MM is half the reason I went after the M42 Vivitar I just got. I was holding out for a 200MM Takumar, but the optics on the 300MM surprised me and I eventually decided to try another one for my SPII. I love the Takumars I've got but recently they're just getting too pricey for me to be able to afford them. I really wanted to add a 28MM and a 200MM Takumar to my SPII kit but I've priced them and I can't go there just yet, shrug.

I got a 75-260mm f/4.5 Vivitar with a T-mount and M42 adapter last week for $5 plus shipping. If it's as good as the Vivitar C/Y 300MM I think I'll like it just fine. I'm still learning so it's okay if all of my lenses aren't the better, most expensive ones. I'll save being ultra picky for later when I know more about lenses and I'm actually more qualified to use them well.

;p

The 75-300 is a Kobori made lens (serial number 77 denotes a Kobori made lens) and they are usually quite good but the lens barrel may have to be tightened up from time to time. The 75-260 is a T4 lens not a T-mount and will be quite good too but not as contrasty as the 75-300. Enjoy them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That "Vivitar" post was supposed to be a reply to the thread here. I have NO idea how it ended up being a new thread. I just posted it the normal way below? Can we move that back here?

Surprised
The new lens it's coming this week sometime. I think I was talking and typing at cross purposes. Sorry, I've been up all night. I haven't slept at all yet. I'm probably mixing up all my lens info. I'll post pics of all 3 when I have them with the serial #'s and such visible and then you all can tell me which one is which, okay? I'm off to bed soon. I'm turning into a blithering idiot rapidly here.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you Vivitar experts know about this old preset T-mount?

Click here to see on Ebay

Short S/N begins with 74. Price seems a bit steep.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed that mine is a little different than zippie's. Mine has a different grip - not rubber. Perhaps older, but otherwise the same?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

If i understood the coding of the serialnumbers correctly, my lens was produced 1 year later then yours.
This could clarify why the grip is a little different. Maybe a production evolution or improvement?...

Just guessing

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Woodrim,

Your 135's styling is identical to that on my 200/3.5, which I've assumed is probably mid-70s. Could be off a few years either way, I suppose.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the serial number - the number 4 following 28 indicates either 1974 or 1984. More likely 1974 as you said. How is that 200mm?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's quite good. I commented on it over in Big Dawg's 200/3.5 thread. But to recap briefly, I compared it to a Canon 200/4 I also own, which I consider to be a lens that doesn't get the attention it deserves. Since both are Canon FD mount lenses, I had to do the comparison with a Canon film camera, an F-1 in this case. I used ISO 200 film, Kodak I believe, and shot the same subject with the camera mounted on a tripod at all lens apertures. I then made duplicates of the negatives with my slide/film duplicator rig attached to my DSLR, then reversed the negs in my image processing software, and compared them for sharpness, contrast, flare, etc.

I found the 200/3.5 Vivitar to exhibit quite a bit more flare than the Canon wide open, but by f/8 it was completely gone. Sharpness, color, and contrast were on par with the Canon. I'd have to go back and look at the test images again (they're on another computer), but as I dimly recall, the Vivitar may have slightly outperformed the Canon.

So, yeah, I consider it to be a very good lens, and I'll warrant that your 135/2.8 is as well.

Last edited by cooltouch on Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you can't use it on your digital camera? Maybe should look for an M42 version.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
What do you Vivitar experts know about this old preset T-mount?

Click here to see on Ebay

Short S/N begins with 74. Price seems a bit steep.

An EXPERT is a has been drip under pressure so I don't qualify. LOL But that is a very good lens. Great bokeh and very sharp for an early lens. I really like mine. The price at that bid level is about right. I have seen them go for over $100,00 US. Mine was $50 us plus shipping. They are getting pricey now.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
But you can't use it on your digital camera? Maybe should look for an M42 version.

Well, I can, and I have, but since it's an EOS, I have to use an adapter with an element in it for infinity focus. I've found that, with faster lenses wide open, there is a severe amount of flare with the adapter, but with slower ones, flare is minimal and gone by about f/5.6 to f/8. I can't really see an appreciable difference in sharpness when using the adapter, at least. But because of the flare issues, it really does constrain lens usefullness with my EOS, and as a result, the adapter doesn't get used much.

It was a spur-of-the-moment thing, buying that Vivitar. I didn't really need it, cuz I already had the Canon. I just really liked the looks of it, and it went for really cheap on eBay anyway. I should have been a little more patient and waited until one in Nikon mount came along. I don't have a 200mm Nikon tele, and I can use that with both my EOS and my Nikon F2. I've sorta been holding out for a Vivitar S1 200/3 at a reasonable price in Nikon mount, but that doesn't seem to happen very often. Smile