Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Coney Island
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Coney Island Reply with quote

All shot with a Pentax MX loaded with Ilford Delta 100 ASA and a variety of manual focus primes...

Best wishes, Kris

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#4 is stunning, very detail.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the shots at the railway station, especially No.3.... Good job!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I like them all too. That Ilford seems to be good stuff! Did you develop it? If so, what developing chemicals did you use?

I guess I'd have to say I like #4 the best, but I also really like the composition in #5. They all have a nice, rich tonal range.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I used a commercial developer and had lo-res scans done at the time. I am planning to set up a darkroom at some point but have only just moved apartment.

Best wishes, Kris.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kris, those are really nice, and remind me of my youth as i grew up about 5 miles north of CI.

i love the look of your photos. obviously youve shot b&w film for some time. as i am just starting out using that medium, do you have any advice for 120 b&w high contrast/small grain outdoor film?
thanks
t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
Kris, those are really nice, and remind me of my youth as I grew up about 5 miles north of CI.

I love the look of your photos. obviously you've shot b&w film for some time. As I am just starting out using that medium, do you have any advice for 120 b&w high contrast/small grain outdoor film?
thanks
t

Thanks for the kind comments.

I have had some success with Kodak Tri-X 100 ASA. See the images from here: http://forum.mflenses.com/some-lubitel-shots-t29935.html

I am using Delta 100 ASA for 35mm, but I would have thought it was a good choice for medium format too provided light isn't an issue.

One advantage of 120 film is that you can get away with a 400 ASA film without the grain showing as badly as with 35mm. HP5+ is probably a good one to start with. I have had problems with Kodak Tri-X 400 fogging in airport x-rays so I would avoid that if you are flying.

Using filters is important with BW film especially to control contrast. I often use a YG (yellow-green) filter and occasionally a red one. I also have yellow and orange filters. Ansel Adam's "The Camera" (available cheap 2nd hand) has excellent advice on that. Alternatively, if you are using something like Adobe CS3 or Lightroom for digital images you can take a colour image and apply a variety of preset BW conversions which mimic the various filters. It is an excellent way to learn!

Best wishes, Kris.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks kris. my southwest series was ilford fp4plus, which came grainier and w less contrast than i would have liked. i will be developing a roll of fuji neopan soon; and i have ilford sfx and ilford pan f 50asa coming today. i think i will shoot the pan f at an outdoor party w my pentacon 6 this weekend....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goombles wrote:
Love the shots at the railway station, especially No.3.... Good job!

+1 and last one!! Great candid! Stunning!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rd also for me, but the woman in pic one is worth seeing : ) great contrast under harsh sun it seems in the 2 firsts.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#2, #3 and #4 for me!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is an excellent set, classic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really nice set, Kris. Nos. 1 and 4 are my favorites.