Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leverectomy on Pentax K to mount it on Canon 5D : How to ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject: Leverectomy on Pentax K to mount it on Canon 5D : How to ? Reply with quote

Hi,

I wonder how leverectomy on the K mount lenses are done ?
Is anybody have a tutorial for that ?
Is there a method to do that ?

I also read that "sepcial" adapter exists (Pk to Eos EF)
The PK lenses with this adapter are not "in line" but mounted on the 5D with a rotation in order to prevent mirror hits ? Is it real ?
Ware can i buy one ? (i saw on ebay, but i'm not sure at 100%)

Here the protusion problem:

Thanks for your attention
Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Removing lever and shield Reply with quote

Hi Fourmix,

I have done this on a couple of lenses to try them out. I don't have details of which lenses, but can get them if you are interested. Essentially the same operations carried out on both. Both were pretty simple.

The shield was retained by three screws. Simply undid them and the shield can be lifted off. I put the screws back and tightended them so that they couldn't get lost.

The rear face of the lens was retained by four screws. Undid those and the rear face also lifts off. Had to be very careful, because there are sometimes one or even two springs inside here which can fly out. Even if you find them again, it's usually difficult to work out exactly where they go on re-assembly Smile Another thing to be wary of is that the aperture ring is often held on by the rear face and, if the two come away together, there may be a detent ball and spring which are also easy to lose.

The lever was held on by two screws which can now be undone. The lever then lifts straight off. Again the screws were replaced and retightened so they couldn't get lost.

If you want I can supply details and pictures - can't guarantee a timescale though Smile )

Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your experience.
Yep, pics would be apreciable, but don't worry, take the time to do it, i don't need to do that in the week Surprised

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Leverectomy on Pentax K to mount it on Canon 5D : How to Reply with quote

fourmix wrote:
Hi,

I also read that "sepcial" adapter exists (Pk to Eos EF)
The PK lenses with this adapter are not "in line" but mounted on the 5D with a rotation in order to prevent mirror hits ? Is it real ?
Ware can i buy one ? (i saw on ebay, but i'm not sure at 100%)

I think all PK/EF adapters are like that: the lens mounted with some rotation. You still need to do the leverectomy because the aperture pin and shield will push against the top of the mirror chamber (especially on fullframe bodies).

Some lenses can be mounted on APS-C camera's without leverectomy though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks AhamB
So this would say i have no choice... Confused

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always do destructive leverectomy, meaning just to cut off the lever and the shield, which is a bit easier but can cause metal dust/shavings in the lens if you are not careful. I did it using a Dremel, which was perhaps not such a good idea because of the high rotation speed of the cutting disk which makes the metal particles fly away at high speed. Next time I have to do something like this I will take a slower approach and do it by hand (with metal saw and/or file).

On my Vivitar 28/2.0 it's not possible to unscrew the shield, so you have to cut or grind that off (it's plastic so not difficult). The lens in your picture looks like a Vivitar with the same shield, so you have to cut that off.

I just noticed that my CZJ Pancolar 50/1.8 hits the mirror when focused at infinity, so I guess I need to give that one a small operation too... Rolling Eyes

When you decide to remove the mount to unscrew the lever, be sure that you have enough clean working space where small parts will not get lost. Don't do it over a wool carpet or something like that, where ball bearings/springs/ will be lost forever. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks AhamB

But really, i d'on't want to do destructive leverectomy on this:

Shocked

Wink

Last edited by fourmix on Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I can understand that. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting links here:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/667236/0

(Pentax limited's on 5D)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Leverectomy on Pentax K to mount it on Canon 5D : How to Reply with quote

AhamB wrote:

I think all PK/EF adapters are like that: the lens mounted with some rotation. You still need to do the leverectomy because the aperture pin and shield will push against the top of the mirror chamber (especially on fullframe bodies).

Finded this pics:

But possible that a modification has been done ?
(don't read german... Confused )
http://forum.digitalfotonetz.de/viewtopic.php?t=60502

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Leverectomy on Pentax K to mount it on Canon 5D : How to Reply with quote

fourmix wrote:
AhamB wrote:

Finded this pics:

But possible that a modification has been done ?
(don't read german... Confused )
http://forum.digitalfotonetz.de/viewtopic.php?t=60502

Yes, the topic states that the lens was modified (the diaphragm lever was removed).

BTW: I don't encourage "leverectomy" on any PK mount lenses. I'd try to find another way to mount each and every K-mount lens on a 5D. A 5D is worthless in a few years anyway, but the lenses will keep their value (if in original condition).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the lens i want to modify is a Pentax K 50mm f/1.2
Cause even on Pentax, i will never need the lever to use this lens Surprised

On the german 31 limited/5D pics, we can see that the lens didn't turn.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Leverectomy on Pentax K to mount it on Canon 5D : How to Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
BTW: I don't encourage "leverectomy" on any PK mount lenses. I'd try to find another way to mount each and every K-mount lens on a 5D. A 5D is worthless in a few years anyway, but the lenses will keep their value (if in original condition).

A few years is a lot of time to shoot and have fun with P/K lenses, and that 5D will probably be replaced by a 5Dmk2 (when it's affordable enough) anyway. Also, the 5D will remain as good as it is and definitely a camera worth using and keeping.

@fourmix: Interesting, I didn't see that before. All the ones I see on ebay have the rotation, but it's not a big problem actually. It's still easy to use the lens.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fourmix wrote:
Interesting links here:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/667236/0

(Pentax limited's on 5D)

tagged for future reference