Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Isco-Göttingen Westanar 1:2.8/85 (now with samples)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Isco-Göttingen Westanar 1:2.8/85 (now with samples) Reply with quote

I've just received a VERY nice chrome Isco-Göttingen Westanar 1:2.8/85 in Exakta mount. I cannot find very much on this lens, but I discovered this one on eBay from seller Cameramate:

The funny part is that the above lens is M42, mine Exakta, and the serial number is only 1 apart. Mine is #452308.

Now I'm not really able to find more information on this lens. It seems to be somewhat rare to very rare. Any ideas as to its design? Wide open it appears to be very sharp, I think it's a triplet because most elements are situated in the front part of the tube. It does not show the Trioplan bokeh though...

Any owners of this lens on this forum?

Last edited by Spotmatic on Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:29 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks fab! In fact, it looks very similar to my Steinheil Culminar 85/2.8...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, if yours looks as nice as that one...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhamB wrote:
Damn, if yours looks as nice as that one...

In fact mine looks even better! Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the lens is more rare than I thought? Not even the Vademecum has anything on it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never seen any ... so at least rare Laughing Congrats!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the Steinheil BTW, just for reference:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that they look similar. Typical late 50's / early 60's West German quality! I hope to post some samples tonight (if the weather is not too bad; a storm warning was issued for today).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I) think Steinheil built them and was rebranded by ISCO - I doubt it was the other was round. Steinheil's star was already starting to sink at that time (jap. competition), so maybe...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair: I also had the Steinheil in the past (in Asahiflex mount) but the ISCO clearly is better mechanically. Everything is very smooth and turns without effort. The Steinheil was almost frozen solid. So I doubt that there's a connection between the brands; why would Steinheil build lenses for ISCO (maybe they did but I have not seen references)?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would the behaviour of a certain lens (which might be based on age, individual condition etc.) speak for ALL other such lenses? Had you argued about the different optical performance, different lens design (lens surface reflections tec.), different bokeh behaviour etc., then I could have followed your arguments. But that Steinheil worked for ISCO is an assumption, I have nor proof for that in hands, it could have been the other way round or just a coincidence, but these two lenses look just too similar.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaus, sorry you are right. What I said did not make sense and it was purely subjective Smile

The photo I have shown is also a bit misleading because it does not show a very distinctive feature of the ISCO: a large button to set the pre-set ring (not the diaphragm itself). I'll post a picture later!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The samples and photos of the lens! As I said the lens is surprisingly sharp and I like the bokeh.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked
What a lens !!!
and as always, you turn any lens in a gem. I love your shots. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great rendering !! Nice colours, and sharp !!

But I ask, Is it possible that the lens has a slight haze in the frontal elements? Of course, the pics are excelent. But I'm curious. Not haze? Only reflections?

Thanks for sharing.

Rino

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Shocked
What a lens !!!
and as always, you turn any lens in a gem. I love your shots. Smile

+1