Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax 135/2.8 stitched lighthouse and reflection
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Pentax 135/2.8 stitched lighthouse and reflection Reply with quote

The old Pentax 135/2.8 turned in a very creditable result in this stitched pano of Rethymnon lighthouse (I'm constantly playing with stitching now). I thought the colour rendition was spectacular. It is also a surprisingly sharp lens wide open (though this was stopped down). The camera was a Canon 5D Mk2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really like the colours in the bottom half/reflection. Would of been really nice with a Grad. ND for the top half but I guess it would be quite awkward when stitching.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count your camera too Smile nice result, this lens is one my favorite 135mm lens.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goombles wrote:
Really like the colours in the bottom half/reflection. Would of been really nice with a Grad. ND for the top half but I guess it would be quite awkward when stitching.

That's an interesting question. The top half is made of two or three separate photos. Maybe it is possible to adjust their exposure in RAW to create a faked ND effect, but I am not sure if Hugin would just reverse the exposure change.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about this? Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it does suggest itself, doesn't it? I think I would chop all of the wall off if I was doing it like that. But at heart I feel that upside-down reflections are a novelty that quickly loses its interest.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is stunning Paul...I love the color,the faded sky in the top half then the beautiful blues captured in the water.Which Pentax 135/2.8 is it?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like to criticise Paul, but I'd have liked the horizon to be level and the end of the jetty not cropped off. Great colours in the bottom half, I think they would stand the brightness being reduced a little to correct the top half.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful reflection!Great picture

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
I don't like to criticise Paul, but I'd have liked the horizon to be level and the end of the jetty not cropped off. Great colours in the bottom half, I think they would stand the brightness being reduced a little to correct the top half.

Criticism is always welcome. That's how I learn stuff.

I was bothered by the horizon, too, I'm not entirely sure what is going on but I wanted the lighthouse iteself to be vertical. I think the angle of the jetty behind creates a false impression of the horizon line, with the true one probably hidden behind it. I didn't notice this when I was shooting, and I should have done.

I did make another vertical row of frames to the right of the picture to include the end of the jette and get a squarer output, but the lack of detail in the sky and the movement in the water makes Hugin go weird. I had to fake up the bottom right corner with the clone stamp, anyway.

In general, attempting to stitch a sea with waves on it in the foreground of a picture is a very awkward proposition, because the surface and therefore the reflections shift far faster than it is possible to shoot, making mis-matches inevitable.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
It is stunning Paul...I love the color,the faded sky in the top half then the beautiful blues captured in the water.Which Pentax 135/2.8 is it?

It's the last version, not the Pentacon "bokeh monster". The way the waves made sharp-edged blobs of colour in the water strikes me as quite unusual, maybe a result of high pressure damping the wave surface.