Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

M42 Or?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: M42 Or? Reply with quote

M42 or something else? I'm pretty sure, but not quite. What do you think?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the diameter? Miranda used M44.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like an m42 tx mount Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

75-200MM 1:49 I think. I'm almost positive this is an M42 49MM but the pics they sent me are a bit blurry and obviously not taken with a very good digital camera. M42-TX? What's the TX part? Hadn't heard that one yet, that suffix Is this an M42 that would still fit a Pentax SPII? Ah, okay, I found it. A Vivitar made by Tokina? But still an M42 okay for Pentax, right?

RioRico wrote:
What's the diameter? Miranda used M44.

Last edited by magkelly on Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soligor lens with Soligor's universal U/S mount for M42. If you press in the metal tab on O<->L and turn, the M42 mount can be removed. Soligor made U/S mounts for many cameras; I have M42 & Nikon U/S mounts...

edit: That (above) is wrong! Lens shown has TX mount, not Soligor's later U/S mount; I have both, the mounts are not interchangeable between U/S and TX lenses. (after morning coffee Smile)

Last edited by visualopsins on Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:26 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did Soligor make lenses for Vivitar that had removable mounts? Just curious because I was told it was a Vivitar. I've been looking at this and trying to figure it out all week, if this is worth $10 or not. I like my C/Y 300MM Vivitar and I was hoping to finally have one for my SPII's. This is pretty cheap...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed, that's looking just like a Soligor universal TX mount,
not so dissimilar to Tamron's Adaptall system.

Very much like my Soligor 400 with a M42 mount.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vivitar and Soligor TX and T4 mounts were very similar as far as I'm aware. I identified yours as a Vivitar TX.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it goes on the SPII okay? Good lens, bad lens, middle of the road indifferent? They have that or a Tokina, which definitely is an M42 for about $10 each. I was thinking about picking up one or the other but I wasn't sure which one to spring for. They're both nice and clean supposedly. They're definitely not Takumars, but I figure for $10 maybe I should grab one?

Thanks for the info, I do appreciate it. I still get messed up with all the different mounts, even the M42's sometimes and they're easier than most.

Craig, that's wicked. I've never seen anything like that. I know there are supposedly removable mounts, but that's the first time I've ever seen pics of one.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I'm aware, all the TX lenses were actually Tokinas anyway Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

magkelly wrote:
So it goes on the SPII okay? Good lens, bad lens, middle of the road indifferent? They have that or a Tokina, which definitely is an M42 for about $10 each. I was thinking about picking up one or the other but I wasn't sure which one to spring for. They're both nice and clean supposedly. They're definitely not Takumars, but I figure for $10 maybe I should grab one?

$10 is a great price for this one. TX lenses were Tokina built, so whichever lens you get, you'll probably get the same optics (unless they belong to different generations, e.g. MC vs. non-MC).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks just like T4 to me. How is T4 and TX different?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Looks just like T4 to me. How is T4 and TX different?

TX (Soligor) is later version of T4 (Vivitar/Soligor). T4 mounts work on TX lenses, with loss of some functionality(?), but not the other way.

ref: http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-99.html (bottom of page)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

magkelly wrote:
Did Soligor make lenses for Vivitar that had removable mounts?
Soligor made no lenses of their own, just as Vivitar made nothing.
They and many other brands were most often made by prominent and
upcoming Japanese makers, with custom cosmetics and other features to
distinguish them from others on the market at the same time. They are/were
prominent distributors of third-party manufacturers, with enough buying
power and influence to have makers put their own names and features
on the lenses they chose to distribute under their own names.

The Soligor 400mm f/6.3 I pictured, as well as a Soligor 75-260mm f/4.5
M42 and a Soligor 135mm f/2.8 TX that I own, have all been identified
as being manufactured by Tokina. Serial number patterns often make
this identification possible, but not always.

Vivitar and Soligor lenses have been manufactured by many different
makers over the years. It's normally the cosmetics and serial numbers
combined that let our superbly knowledgeable members here make the
positive identification for us.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

magkelly wrote:
Craig, that's wicked. I've never seen anything like that. I know there are supposedly removable mounts, but that's the first time I've ever seen pics of one.

Removable mounts are dangerous, they can lead to a serious condition called adaptamania. So far no cure has been found to that. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
magkelly wrote:

Removable mounts are dangerous, they can lead to a serious condition called adaptamania. So far no cure has been found to that. Wink
Laughing

Witness my newest quest for Tamron Adaptall SP lenses, not caring
what mount end, if any, is included with the lens. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the Tokina lenses vary a bit. I had a Tokina 24mm which was a stinker.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
magkelly wrote:

Doctor doctor, when I buy a lense which needs an adapter I don't aleady have, first I buy one adapter for that lens, then I buy another two, just "in case I need them". Have I got adaptamania ???

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be an interesting read for you TX and T4 collectors... Very Happy
http://photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00Tva4
There was a great site T4 for two by our member casual collector but it is not up and running at the moment?
I think TX lens are named under the mount as TX.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few T4 and TX adaptors and lenses. Here is a reference to another member's collection:
http://forum.mflenses.com/vivitar-tx-series-lenses-t18324.html
cheers
bb2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swapping lenses works for me. Two different cameras using one lens takes up that much less space in the gear kit. I wish I could do that with all my lenses. I'd love to get it to the point where they could fit on both kinds of SLR's and later on a DSLR and yet still be just that same number of lenses. I'm not really big on having 5 lenses for each camera type I own. I rather do like the idea of being able to carry my lens bag from place to place without the risk of giving myself a ruptured disc.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I was wrong. I didn't read that info on the front quite right. It's a bit longer than I thought. It's a Vivitar Tele-Zoom 75-260mm f/4.5 which is made by Tokina. I've looked it up and so far I like what I am seeing. Looks decent. I'm going to grab it. It's entirely too cheap not to go there and while it's not the Takumar long lens of my dreams it will do. Once I have that then all I'll need to complete my Pentax kit is an M42 wide angle.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooh!
If your 75-260 is anything like my Soligor 75-260, it'll be a huge
but high-quality lens! It'll probably be the same, as I don't think there's
been any other 75-260 zoom lenses manufactured. If I am wrong,
Luis will probably jump in here to correct me.
It's a two-ring setup, right?

It weighs a lot, and it's made from brass and glass; it's heavy.
But if it's clean and operational, it's a fun lens to use and experiment with.
Grab a quick-release plate for your tripod head to mount on the lens,
because you really don't want to be swapping tripod mounts and/or
collars. The collar is integral anyways, so it's not open for debate. Wink

Build quality of my Soligor is first-rate, and mine arrived exceptionally
clean. Mine has been identified as Tokina-made, thanks to Luis and
other intrepid members of this forum.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 75-260 is a decent lens and well worth that price. The PX mount is an M42 TX mount and if the lens has a rubber focus grip it is a Vivitar TX lens. The T4 lenses had knurled metal focus grips.

Left to right these are T4 and then TX lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a done deal.

Smile