Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

[HELP] Newbie questions on Helios 44-2 58mm f/2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: [HELP] Newbie questions on Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 Reply with quote

I just received my Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 yesterday and there are few wierd flaws that I need to clarify before I complain the seller...
1. The aperture ring turns the other way around opposite the f-numbers, so now f/16 has the widest opening. I'm pretty sure the Russian don't read the other way around, so I guess this is wrong?
2. The aperture ring doesn't click, it turns like a wheel... very smoothly! like from the widest aperture to the smallest aperture without any stops... Do old Russian lenses behave like that?
3. The aperture blades are very oily... does this mean they open up the lens and oil the blades?

I know this kind of lenses are cheap but I don't like to be cheated. Thanks for anyone willing to answer my questions...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: [HELP] Newbie questions on Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 Reply with quote

adoi wrote:

1. The aperture ring turns the other way around opposite the f-numbers, so now f/16 has the widest opening. I'm pretty sure the Russian don't read the other way around, so I guess this is wrong?

This is asked many times. There is nothing wrong. I don't have 44-2 but other version also have the same design. Let me see if I can able to search the answer for you later.

Quote:

3. The aperture blades are very oily... does this mean they open up the lens and oil the blades?

Oil blades are very common with Russian lens. This has to do with the lubricant they used. There is nothing wrong with the oil and the oil does not affect the photos.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a ring on the front of the lens which carries the numbers. This one turns - with clicks. The idea is that you (i) use this ring to set the working aperture, (ii) use the second ring (the one that moves smoothly without clicks) to open the aperture to wide open, (iii) focus, (iv) use the second ring to close down the aperture to the working aperture and (v) take the shot.

Oil on the blades is normal. This lens was designed to have, and built with, oil on the blades. Many other Russian lenses, e.g. Jupiter 9 and Tair 11A were designed and built in this way.

The features you describe are normal.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
There is a ring on the front of the lens which carries the numbers. This one turns - with clicks. The idea is that you (i) use this ring to set the working aperture, (ii) use the second ring (the one that moves smoothly without clicks) to open the aperture to wide open, (iii) focus, (iv) use the second ring to close down the aperture to the working aperture and (v) take the shot.

The features you describe are normal.

Well said. It would have taken me way too many sentences to try and explain it.

Last edited by my_photography on Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: [HELP] Newbie questions on Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:
This has to do with the lubricant they used.

The oil is the lubricant. It is placed there deliberately to lubricate the blades. It is not leakage from the lubricant which is placed on the focusing helicoids.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: [HELP] Newbie questions on Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
my_photography wrote:
This has to do with the lubricant they used.

The oil is the lubricant. It is placed there deliberately to lubricate the blades. It is not leakage from the lubricant which is placed on the focusing helicoids.

You are absolutely correct. Actually I was thinking type of lubricant when I said that. Does it make any different - type of lubricant?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this forum a lot...
Few days ago I post a thread asking about a feature in my Tak, and I got answers in just a few minutes... likewise this thread, all you people here are just simply the best!

Thanks everyone for the answers, especially sichko who has summed up the answer very well. If I hadn't asked these questions here, I might have given the seller a bad feedback... Thanks again guys!

Ow yes, any suggestions on how to get the swirling bokeh all the time? hhahahaha... Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a 44-2. All the same here, nothing to worry about. The apperture ring just turns around, no stops. The numbers mark up is wrong, but it's no big deal, just 2 much vodka while designing this lens Very Happy

If those issues bother you, get 44m-x version. I'm selling 44m and 44m-4 if you interested.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vulko wrote:
just 2 much vodka while designing this lens Very Happy

That is the most reasonable thing you'll ever get to answer this mystery! huahuahua Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A picture says a thousand words Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot peterqd! That 44-2 in the picture looks a lot like mine...
Now I'm sure that my 44-2 is the same as the others, I thought mine was frankensteined... Razz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm the 44m is quite normal, but some of these Russian m42 lenses wont fit on a Pentax.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adoi wrote:
Ow yes, any suggestions on how to get the swirling bokeh all the time? hhahahaha... Very Happy

The swirly effect is best seen when there are lots of out-of-focus highlights such as shiny leaves or water reflections in the background, so you need to use a fairly large aperture and have a reasonable distance between your subject and the scene behind it.

A preset lens like this lens is fun to use with the camera in Av mode. I keep the preset aperture dial (the clicky outer one) at f16 and then use the stop-down dial (the smooth inner one) to adjust the aperture to achieve the bokeh I want. The camera adjusts the shutter speed for correct exposure automatically.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
A preset lens like this lens is fun to use with the camera in Av mode. I keep the preset aperture dial (the clicky outer one) at f16 and then use the stop-down dial (the smooth inner one) to adjust the aperture to achieve the bokeh I want. The camera adjusts the shutter speed for correct exposure automatically.

Wow! thanks for the advice. I've been using "M" all this time without knowing "Av" could help me choosing the right shutter speed. I thought the metering sensor would not meter correctly since the aperture is always stuck at f/1.4, but now after I tried it in "Av", it really does the metering well. Thanks again!