Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I think I have solved the shutter problem on the Zenit TTL
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: I think I have solved the shutter problem on the Zenit TTL Reply with quote

I put in a silly bid just before leaving for work this morning, not expecting to win as there were still a few hours to go:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270949712457?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_790wt_1338

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard Praktica shutter repair method...

... bulk buy more bodies... Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My good lady thinks we should set up a stall selling all my extra unused cameras and lenses. I said the tears would put off buyers. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
My good lady thinks we should set up a stall selling all my extra unused cameras and lenses. I said the tears would put off buyers. Wink

I reckon a strategically well placed hint about a pair of shoes could sort that one out... Wink

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She already has far too many pairs of shoes.........oh! Hang on! Better not use that reasoning.....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's only the equivalent of wasting money on 6 pints of beer or 60 cigarettes or 4 magazines or ............................ Wink

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, looking at the photo that, starting from the top left going clockwise, we have a Zenit 11, Zenit 12, Zenit TTL and possibly a Zenit EM at bottom left, but where is the shutter release button?

edit: A quick search shows it to be a Zenit E, which has the shutter central in the film counter dial. I didn't know they did a totally black version.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good strike! No matter the cameras, the two Helios lenses are worth the price alone (and more!)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
She already has far too many pairs of shoes.........oh! Hang on! Better not use that reasoning.....

No, no, no, no - wrong answer and therein lies danger. Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank God I had applied the handbrake between my brain and my tongue!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Good strike! No matter the cameras, the two Helios lenses are worth the price alone (and more!)

+1

I sold three Helios 44-2 for 25-30ukp on ebay over last few months.

I'll buy the leather strap pieces on the front right one off you if you need to recover some of the cost, be ideal to put on my FT-1. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I was lucky that the seller didn't mention the lenses in the title of the item. I believe there is a 44-2 and a 44M in that photo. How easy is it to get a trouble-free adapter for a Nikon DSLR (not full frame)? A friend of mine is a Nikon user and needs convincing that old MF lenses are superior to kit lenses, and I was thinking of lending him a Helios.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a 44-2 and 44-M4 to me too.

Sadly you can't use M42 on Nikon and get infinity so close-ups only.

One lens that will convince him MF lenses are great is the Micro-Nikkor-P 3.5/55, it's less than 30ukp on ebay and is sharper wide open than many lenses are at f8.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did a forum search and came up with the answer about M42/Nikon re. infinity. Would that 55mm Micro-Nikkor make a good portrait lens due to the crop factor? I know he is looking for a decent portrait lens, and a "long'n" for wildlife.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would make an excellent portrait lens because at f3.5 it is very sharp but has this wonderful smooth transition from in-focus to out-of-focus.

I happened to shoot a candid portrait or two with mine the other night, wide open at ISO6400 on my NEX-3 which is APS-C:

These shots at ISO200 wide open show the sharpness:

These from further away, still wide open are impressive imho:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Ian. The results look excellent. I have passed on your recommendation (and looked into booking the Cordial Sandy Golf "Bugalows" on Gran Canaria). Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, it's the only Nikkor I own but I wouldn't part with it. I paid about 30ukp for it and I consider it a huge bargain.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the package arrived and contains:

1 x Zenit E, winder a bit stiff but got easier after a few windings
1 x Zenit 11, All good, but haven't checked the meter (the pointer moved when I took it to the window.
1 x Zenit 12, spares only as the hot shoe is bent and the film speed selector ring isn't connected (screws missing)
1 x Zenit TTL, all good except the film rewind lever is missing (I have one on the body I have been using)

1 x Helios 44-2 (is it KMZ with the wonky line through a prism?)
1 x Helios 44M-4 (I think it is the Valdai version after looking through the Helios Lens list)

The lenses are quite dirty on the outside but there is no evidence of fungus or other nasties inside. The diaphragm ring is a little stiff on the 44M-4, as is focus, but they got easier after a few turns. The blades on both lenses show signs of a little oil, yet both move freely.

I have just come back from 2 days at the Lakes and haven't had a chance to photograph any of these yet. If anyone is interested, I will do it tomorrow.

All in all I think I have got these items for a good price, The lenses are both usable and I could have 2 or 3 working bodies too. Not bad for £18.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got your problem, half a dozen Zenits all bought for the lenses ! Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valdai looks like a ball and an arrow, KMZ is indeed the prism with wobbly line.

I have both Valdai and KMZ Helios 44-2, they were identical apart from the logo.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Valdai looks like a ball and an arrow.........

......I have both Valdai and KMZ Helios 44-2, they were identical apart from the logo.

That's the logo on the 44M-4, Ian, so Valdai it is.

Did you notice any difference in the quality of the two different makers?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Valdai looks like a ball and an arrow.........

......I have both Valdai and KMZ Helios 44-2, they were identical apart from the logo.

That's the logo on the 44M-4, Ian, so Valdai it is.

Did you notice any difference in the quality of the two different makers?

No, identical apart from logo.