Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The Roman-Celtic days 2010
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: The Roman-Celtic days 2010 Reply with quote

This year, the Roman-Celtic days re-enacted the battle of Tannetum (218 b.C.), which happened in the Cisalpine Gaul (today's Northern Italy) between most of the Celtic tribes, lead by the Boii Gauls, and the Romans, allied with the Cenoman Gauls.

The sparkle was Hannibal's descent in Italy, which appeared to the Celtic tribes as a very good occasion to rise up against Roman domination. The Romans, whose army was for most part busy to fight Hannibal, was in big difficulty facing the rise. Some cohortes were sent from Rome to defend Bononia (Bologna) and the other cities along the Via Aemilia. Those soldiers created a castrum at the small village of Tannetum (about 40 kms from where I live) and hosted inside the civilians of the nearby areas to defend them. But they were cut off from all supply lines and would not have been able to last long if they were not supported by the Cenoman Gauls, who lived the other side of River Padus (today's Po) and did not join the rise, staying faithful to the foedus (pact) with Rome. The Cenomans provided the soldiers and people in Tannetum with food and military support.
The battle of Tannetum was very hard and was decided only by the sudden arrival of new Roman troops who would cercle the Boii Gauls.
After that battle, and the end of the Punic wars, the Celtic populations of northern Italy lived peacefully with the Romans and eventually became Roman citizens themselves.

These photos do not show the battle, they show the training and the life in the camps. I have shot videos of the battle, if I have time maybe I will publish them.

Celtic camp:

Contax Vario-Sonnar 80-200

Contax Distagon 1.4/35

Contax Distagon 1.4/35

Contax Planar 2/100

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roman Camp:
Note: the soldiers as you can see wear weapons typical of the Republican Age of Rome, when the battle of Tannetum happened.
Contrary to Hollywood movies, you don't see lots of shining armors, because those were the privilege of the rich people. Most of the soldiers were poor farmers, and fought with only a tunic and a shield. In many cases they did not even have an helmet.

Contax-Vario-Sonnar 80-200

Contax Distagon 1.4/35

Contax Planar 2/100

Contax Planar 2/100

Contax Planar 2/100
note: these are the velites, the younger soldiers not yet ready for the contact battle (which resembled a lot today's rugby scrumbles). Velites were charged to disturb the sides of the opposite army with the throw of javelins, and, in case of success battle, they had to run after the fugitives and finish them.

Contax Planar 2/100
the seasoned veterans were employed in the body-to-body battle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contax Planar 2/100

Contax Planar 2/100

Contax Distagon 2/28 "hollywood"
The Celtic women move around Smile

Contax Distagon 2/28 "hollywood"
Practicing for the battle

Contax Planar 2/100

Contax Distagon 1.4/35
Souvenir photo of all the Gaul clans Smile

Contax Distagon 1.4/35
The Roman army on the move

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio

You keep saving me these trips to Italy! Another complete winner series. We are fortunate that your eye and technique can demo those fabulous lenses of yours

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

impressive event, lot of actors, great captures
you got great results from the 80-200, so good that the planar 100 don't seems better in this series

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
impressive event, lot of actors, great captures
you got great results from the 80-200, so good that the planar 100 don't seems better in this series

I agree. The 80-200 is a fantastic lens stopped down (wide open it's so and so). The Planar 100 was a wrong choice for this event. It is a lens that is very detailed but much portrait oriented (sweeter in contrast and milder in the colours). The 80-200 when stopped down is very contrasted, bold, aggressive, saturated. So it was the perfect choice for the subject.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Orio
You keep saving me these trips to Italy! Another complete winner series. We are fortunate that your eye and technique can demo those fabulous lenses of yours
patrickh

Thanks Patrick. But I still hope you will visit here so that we can meet Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, it looks almost like a big movie set! Impressive event, I wish I could be there.
Very well captured Orio.
Poilu is right about the 80-200 and the 100, but the 3D from the Planar 100 stands out, a big difference to the Vario-Sonnar!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlsson wrote:

Poilu is right about the 80-200 and the 100, but the 3D from the Planar 100 stands out, a big difference to the Vario-Sonnar!

Yes! I think the two pictures with the horses let one see what this lens can do. It's in a class of it's own.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlsson wrote:
Wow, it looks almost like a big movie set! Impressive event, I wish I could be there.
Very well captured Orio.

+1 100/2 is 3d machine Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karabud wrote:
Carlsson wrote:
Very well captured Orio.

+1 100/2 is 3d machine Very Happy

you are right, I was fooled by this one and didn't look at the horses enough Wink