Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Damaged Rocca of San Secondo
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Damaged Rocca of San Secondo Reply with quote

This year the Palio could not use the Rocca as scenario for the ceremonies, because after the earthquakes the Rocca is closed to public and blocked off.
Here's some photos that I took, that show the cracks (some are long from top to bottom!) and the other damages. Some pictures were taken with the Distagon 1.4/35, others with El Cheapo 55-250 EF-S:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH NO!!!

I remember that beautiful place well! What a terrible thing to see that it has been damaged!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing! It is a surprise that the building didn't break up with those cracks. I hope it can be secured.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am saddened but amazed it managed to survive at all given the extent of the cracking.

I hope that this is the end of your troubles.

Doug

skida wrote:
Amazing! It is a surprise that the building didn't break up with those cracks. I hope it can be secured.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the main problem is that the internal walls are all frescoed.

In order to secure two walls that are cracked in half usually you need to build a metal net armor, that holds on both sides.
Of course it is aesthetically ugly. If the internal walls were white, one could make the armor internally, then cover it so it becomes invisible.
But the fresco decorations prevent this solution. So the only way should be to create the armor externally. Of course this would deface the aesthetics of the exterior.
I don't know if there is a solution that is not aesthetically invasive. I'm not an architect after all Rolling Eyes

LucisPictor wrote:
OH NO!!!
I remember that beautiful place well! What a terrible thing to see that it has been damaged!

You visited just in time. Who knows if/when it will be possible to visit it again?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a sad sight to see, I hope that the building can be repaired