Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leica APO-Macro-Elmarit-R 100/2.8 w/Leitax conversion @ D700
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Leica APO-Macro-Elmarit-R 100/2.8 w/Leitax conversion @ D700 Reply with quote

I recently purchased this lens (with an absolutely mint Leica R7 w/accessories, which is for sale), and yesterday I did the Leitax conversion (including Dandelion chip).

Here are some of my first macro attempts with this FANTASTIC lens (all fully open and ISO1000 or 2000 - no severe post editing, only slight sharpening, WB adjustment and cropping for the net):

#1:

#2:

#3:

I think I'm in love Smile

It does portraits too:

#4:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a great lens indeed!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That first picture is amazing!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

integrale wrote:
I think I'm in love

and everybody would be! it is the top of the cream, congrats!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! A dream lens for almost everyone.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! it is truly a great lens. When I saw the first picture my jaw just dropped - it really is virtually straight out of the camera but looks like a painting.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That and the CV 125 are an amazing pair of lenses that will stand up to 30+MP sensors, unlike some of the equivalent Canon and Nikon offerings at their respective focal lengths. The great thing about the Leica and unlike the rare CV125 now fetching in excess of US$2400 on eBay is that it was in production for so long that great samples (3-cam and ROM) can be had for under US$1500 and easily converted. I have wondered why Leica would simply abandon the best of the R series lenses (last version 28/2.8, 90/2 APO, 100/2.8 APO, 180/2.8 APO and 280/4 APO) instead of re-issuing them with different mounts as Zeiss and Cosina have successfully done.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect this may be due to intellectual property/proprietary rights re. the mounts.

It's still rather strange; Leica could probably make a nice business out of this...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has to be a simple business decision to pay royalties or license fees. Tamron, Samyang, Cosina, Sigma and Zeiss all do it. Having the capacity to produce enough of these precision instruments to meet the demand may be the limiting factor. To paraphrase Lloyd Chambers quipin one of his blog entries, what's the difference between a $5,000 Leica and a $1,500 Canon/Nikkor? While the Canon/Nikkor is a $1000 of lens, it's $500 of quality control, whereas the Leica is probably a $1500 lens with $3500 quality control.

Last edited by james on Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:51 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be right, if a license is being offered...

Nevermind, we've got leitax.com Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 and #4 look very painterly, congratulations on the lens! I do look forward to more photo posts though. Ownership comes with responsibility to share Very Happy