Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Roma 2004
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:18 am    Post subject: Roma 2004 Reply with quote

While searching my disks I stumbled upon some photos I took in Roma in August 2004. I thought that a few of them could be posted here, although at the time I had only the kit lens for my 300D.

1. Cats in the Torre Argentina temple

In downtown Roma there is an ancient temple (about 400 B.C.) where volounteers have organized a stray cats care and rescue centre. The stray cats here are cured, sterylized, and can live in freedom. They are fed every day. All this thanks to donations of course. This is the website of the organization (you can choose language):
http://www.romancats.de/

2. Temple of Torre Argentina. This is an over view of the temple.

3. This is the back side of the Capitol hill (Campidoglio). Provided that it's possible to tell a back side of a hill, that is.

4. Italian Cypresses of quite singular shape, that I have found on the Palatino hill.

5. This is the temple of Hercules Olivarius, once erroneously believed to be a temple of Vesta. It is the most ancient marble building still existing in Rome. It still exists because in the 9th century A.C. it was transformed into a Christian church - otherwise it would have been certainly destroyed like all other marble buildings (to steal the marble).

6. A portable fruit shop

7. Fontana di Trevi

8. Piazza di Siena (Siena square), on the right barely visible there are the huge stairs to the church of Trinitŕ dei Monti

I made many more photos, but I can't find them anymore.
I wish I had my manual lenses then! And especially my Flektogon 4/20!!
I lost all evening trying to fix the horrendous geometric distortions of the Canon kit lens.
Not to mention the time spent to adjust the saturation, and the sharpness... all things that with my manual lenses, barely require any time or attention at all!

_

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio

I lived in Rome for two years in the early 70's and your pictures sure bring back memories. In those days I had an Exa with a 50mm lens (cant remember the exact model). Pictures from that time were lost in a subsequent divorce settlement. Crying or Very sad I went back from time to time on business until about '78. Have not been back since - but am planning a Europe trip for next year which will definitely include la bellissima citta.

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? Then we have something in common other than photography. I too was married with a foreign woman, lived for a period in a foreign country, and eventually divorced.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you live, Orio?

I like 4 and 8 the best, 4 for composition and 8 because it shows the vibrant life on the streets.

Rome is a wonderful city! I went there about 12 years ago.
You walk through the streets, turn around a corner and see an antique column or statue that would be a sensation in any other city, in Rome it's just one of many!

As soon as our kids are a little older, we definitely will go there again.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Where did you live, Orio?

I lived in Stavanger, Norway, for about one year.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Norway is a beautiful country. It seems you have a feeling for great landscapes, not only in photographical terms. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, while in Rome I was married to an English woman (my native country). I am now married to a foreigner (American). I was working in Italy during that period all over the North. While I was in Rome I managed to see a great deal of he central part of the country (including places like L'Aquila) and later I worked out of Milano and Torino and saw much of the north. Unfortunately, I never took as many pictures as I wanted and they all went the same way as the Rome pictures. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

ps in Rome my office was around the corner from the Fontana di Trevi.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Wow, Norway is a beautiful country. It seems you have a feeling for great landscapes, not only in photographical terms. Wink

Yes. I enjoyed living there. Quiet, meditative, almost like living in the past. Cozy houses. Time goes slower than elsewhere, it fits my lifestyle, although I missed the warm and sunlight I have to admit.

patrickh wrote:
in Rome my office was around the corner from the Fontana di Trevi.

Ouch... not exactly a quiet place to work in!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not quiet, but really close to the "Tazza d'Oro" for the best coffee in the world.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely shots...

The Trevi Fountain is a magnificent piece of sculptural decadence...

I am a Boromini man personally, San Carlo alle Quattro Fontane being a truly astonishing work to me. The facade seems to move when you look at it for a little time.

Rome is literally bursting with magnificent architecture.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spkennedy3000 wrote:
Lovely shots...
The Trevi Fountain is a magnificent piece of sculptural decadence...
I am a Boromini man personally, San Carlo alle Quattro Fontane being a truly astonishing work to me. The facade seems to move when you look at it for a little time.
Rome is literally bursting with magnificent architecture.

I can understand from your shooting style that you can be a Baroque architecture fan Smile

Yes, Borromini is cool. Roma is really the capital of the Baroque style.
What about the Four Rivers fountain of Bernini? My favourite.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some lovely shots, Orio! Have you tried Photobucket, yet? Opening
these are OK, thank God I got a good popup blocker. Laughing I love the
portable fruit shop pic , for the colors and human element.

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bernini also rocks massively. I took my students to Rome last November. Sadly this was during the three year period when I had NO camera, so no pics.

Rome is one of my very favorite places on the planet.

I also found some excellent shoes there Smile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bernini's Four Rivers Fountain was a monument to sour grapes (a magnificent work nonetheless). Every one of the statues is facing away from the church behind, because Bernini failed to get the commission for building it.

patrickh

PS the gelateria in the opposite corner of the piazza was reputed to be the best in the world in the 70's when I was there.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:

PS the gelateria in the opposite corner of the piazza was reputed to be the best in the world in the 70's when I was there.

A fan of gelato, eh? Smile
I have the cult of it.
Unfortunately, it is VERY difficult to find those who really know how to make it like it must.
(most common errors: 1 they make it too sweet 2 they make it freeze)
Luckily, I have found the best gelateria in the world only 9 kms from here, in Fidenza. Very Happy

Two main things to always keep in mind to judge a gelato:

1- Must NOT be sweet! Geez I hate it when they put in all that sugar. Sugar kills the other tastes.

2- Must be CREAMY not frozen (repeat this ten times)

Once I went to get a gelato and ordered three tastes: fior di latte, egg cream, and chocolate.
The gelato maker stopped working (the shop was full of clients) and said to me: "you are a connaisseur".
And I "Thanks, how can you say this?"
And he "Because you ordered the three basic tastes, upon which all other tastes are build. When you want to properly judge a gelateria, you order these three tastes. If they are good, then it means that the maker is good and all the other tastes will be good, also".

So this is a good rule to follow.
Fior di latte alone is a great benchmark anyway. Because the milk cream has a really bland taste on its own. When you take a fior di latte, if you can actually feel the taste of milk cream in it, then it means you have a good maker there. When you feel the taste of sugar instead, go elsewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I had to read up on "gelato/gelati" and the closest thing is ice milk,
due to its low butterfat content. Sounds like a place I'd be hanging out
in quite abit if I was over there! Um-um-ummm! Cool

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Well, I had to read up on "gelato/gelati" and the closest thing is ice milk,
due to its low butterfat content. Sounds like a place I'd be hanging out
in quite abit if I was over there! Um-um-ummm! Cool

Bill

Bill I think you call them "ice-creams", although I have no idea of how similar or different they are to our gelati.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, according to one article I read, ice cream has way too much
butterfat content to be an equivalent. They cited that Italians find
too much butterfat content muddies the taste, the nuance, hence
their fondness of gelato. The closest thing equivalent would be ice
milk, which if served in one of those Italian cones, would be purty
good I think!