Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Looking for a good bokeh
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Looking for a good bokeh Reply with quote

Sorry for opening this thread and asking the same question that has beed discussed already numerous times.

I am looking for a fast lens in ~50mm range with a good bokeh. My definition of a good bokeh is smooth and creamy, without swirling and double edges, with round specular highlights (even stopped down a little, I mean I don't like to see hexagons).
Sharpness wide open is not the first priority but should be sharp enough stopped down a little.
The price is ~200 USD but don't limit your suggestions if there are some lens a bit above this price.
To use on a Canon crop camera.

I have Mamiya 55/f1.4 lens and wouldn't call it's bokeh distracting but I am still looking for something better. I also have Minolta PF 58/f1.4 waiting for a conversion, heard it has very pleasant bokeh (may be I should convert it and try first, before buying a new toy).

I considered a Yashica DS-M 50/f1.4, Yashica ML 50/f1.4, Olympus 50/f1.4, Zeiss 50/f1.7, Canon FL 55/f1.2. I didn't find a lot of images of Yashicas and from what I saw it seems they produce double edges. Zeiss also seems suffer from the same problem. I don't like Takumars for some reasons but if you convince me this is the lens I am looking for I can revise my opinion.

What can you suggest?

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it for crop or ff?

Biotar 58/2 has smoother stopped-down bokeh than Pancolar 50/1.8.

Yashinon DS-M 50/1.4 isn't bad, but it has more CA (slightl lateral + red fringe) than most 50mm lenses. It has also hexagonal iris, which sometimes shows in bokeh. Many newer lenses have these problem... Color Ultron 50/1.8 too Sad

Volna-9 50/2.8 has great bokeh at f/2.8, but shows haxagons (or stars) stopped down.

I'd say some lenses have good wide-opened bokeh (e.g. Volna), other lenses have great stopped-dow bokeh (Biotar, Trioplan, Primoplan), but none has great bokeh in both situations.

If you don't mind lower contrast and low corner sharpness (and low overal sharpness at f/1.9), try Primoplan - but it's necessary to find a copy with preserved coating and clean optics.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smooth and creamy bokeh.
Leitz Summicron-R 2.0/50 Version I - creamy, but not too sharp at infinity - around 150-200 Euro
Leitz Summicron-R 2.8/60 - sharp creamy - around 250-300 Euro.

http://www.rglewis.co.uk/PDF/LEICA/R_Lenses/Puts%20Column%20SUMMICRON-R%2050mm%20&%20MACRO-ELMARIT-R%2060mm%20&%20SUMMILUX-R%2050mm%20Lenses_en.pdf

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super Takumar 50mm f1.4. Sharp and creamy bokeh.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a good bokeh Reply with quote

dimitrygo wrote:

I am looking for a fast lens in ~50mm range with a good bokeh. My definition of a good bokeh is smooth and creamy, without swirling and double edges, with round specular highlights (even stopped down a little, I mean I don't like to see hexagons).
To use on a Canon crop camera.
I don't like Takumars for some reasons
What can you suggest?

Well, Speaking frankly, I think that your ideas do not seem to be very clear.
You want a smooth bokeh, creamy, without double edges, and then you turn down the Takumar which is the undisputed champion of this type of bokeh.

Since most 50mm lenses are made on double gauss scheme today, it is quite difficult not to find one with those hard edges you don't like. Even the Leicas, which someone suggested, do have the edges on the highlights wide open.

Maybe you could try with some older Tessar - not guarantee it won't double edge but surely bokeh is smooth stopped down.
But perhaps your best bet outside from a Takumar could be a Canon EF 50mm f/1.2

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a good bokeh Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

You want a smooth bokeh, creamy, without double edges, and then you turn down the Takumar which is the undisputed champion of this type of bokeh.

Didn't I write I don't like Takumars for SOME reasons? Very Happy And that I can revise my opinion? Very Happy

Orio wrote:

Do you mean the L lens? This is far beyond my willing to pay for a single lens. But I certainly and seriously consider the Sigma 50/f1.4.

No vote for the FL lens?

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
Biotar 58/2 has smoother stopped-down bokeh than Pancolar 50/1.8.

If you don't mind lower contrast and low corner sharpness (and low overal sharpness at f/1.9), try Primoplan - but it's necessary to find a copy with preserved coating and clean optics.

Yes, I already have Helios 44 (actually 8 of them) and Primoplan that needs cleaning (hope it doesn't have any serious issues). I probably need to explorer them more. But I wanted some "all purpose" and faster lens.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 Smile

Doug

Tom in Delaware wrote:
Super Takumar 50mm f1.4. Sharp and creamy bokeh.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a good bokeh Reply with quote

How about a Planar 50mm f1.4 mine gives smooth bokeh?

Doug

dimitrygo wrote:
Orio wrote:

Didn't I write I don't like Takumars for SOME reasons? Very Happy And that I can revise my opinion? Very Happy

Orio wrote:

Do you mean the L lens? This is far beyond my willing to pay for a single lens. But I certainly and seriously consider the Sigma 50/f1.4.

No vote for the FL lens?

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a good bokeh Reply with quote

nemesis101 wrote:

as far as I hnow planar is one of the champions of sharp 3d bokeh. He needs smooth one, canon L lenses has(almost) all smooth bokeh except 35L.

Second hand (200-300eur) canon ef 50mm 1.4 should be smooth enough, I tried it and its far smoother than my takumar or planar.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a good bokeh Reply with quote

egidio wrote:
nemesis101 wrote:

as far as I hnow planar is one of the champions of sharp 3d bokeh. He needs smooth one, canon L lenses has(almost) all smooth bokeh except 35L.

Second hand (200-300eur) canon ef 50mm 1.4 should be smooth enough, I tried it and its far smoother than my takumar or planar.

Planar is definitely a very sharp lens but not a champion in the bokeh competition. It also costs more than 200 USD.

I already spent too many hours comparing the Canon EF 50/f1.4 and Sigma 50/f1.4. I think Sigma has better bokeh and overall rendering. But this is MF lenses forum Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a good bokeh Reply with quote

I get creamy bokeh and sharpness.. what do others think?

I got great bokeh from my Super-tak, less good from the Minolta Rookors and the Olympus f1.4's and better on the Planar 1.4 than the 7.7 but....

Also good on the SP zoom 28-whatever too

Doug

dimitrygo wrote:
egidio wrote:
nemesis101 wrote:

Planar is definitely a very sharp lens but not a champion in the bokeh competition. It also costs more than 200 USD.

I already spent too many hours comparing the Canon EF 50/f1.4 and Sigma 50/f1.4. I think Sigma has better bokeh and overall rendering. But this is MF lenses forum Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here a link for a "bokeh test" of lenses.
Hope this helps.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2010/02/11/what-is-bokeh/

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MF-addicted wrote:
Here a link for a "bokeh test" of lenses.
Hope this helps.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2010/02/11/what-is-bokeh/

Very interesting. According to this article and referenced Mike Johnston’s bokeh rating the Canon EF 50/f1.4 scores very high (8 out of 10) and is on par with such monsters as Planars 85/f1.4 and 100/f2. Planar 50/f1.4 got only 3 out of 10, same as Olympus 50/f1.4 and Nikon AF 50/f1.4 (very surprising, I considered it's bokeh not so bad). Hmm... Canon EF 85/f1.8 also got 8 out of 10, same as Planar 85/f1.4 but in my opinion it is much worse than Planar.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By his own admission, the list is limited. I'd love to see our forum members submit tests for evaluation in an effort to rate, or rank, a more comprehensive list of lenses. However, I do recognize it would be difficult gaining consensus, as it is with anything subjective. You might say bokeh is like women. We all might agree that some are ugly, some are beautiful, but those in between will depend on our own particular tastes (and maybe the relationship Very Happy )

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think any quality rating can describe bokeh in a useful manner. The only use I see for that list of ratings is bringing potentially good (and “bad”) lenses to one's attention. A gallery of sample pictures is more useful for evaluation.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it amusing that someone declares what is good bokeh and what not. The very best definition of bokeh that I have found is subjectively pleasing out of focus rendering, which in itself rules out the possibility to define what is good and what not.

Flickr search is a great place to find samples of bokeh with different lenses. Let everyone decide themselves what is pleasing and what is disturbing.

Vilhelm

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with the last two messages.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... I like people who provoke a lot of controversy.
Keeps things alive Very Happy
The world is how we like to see it ... all is subjective

http://www.aip.org/history/einstein/essay.htm

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is good bokeh is ofcourse subjective.

But I made a few tests and human eye has its own bokeh, and it's definitly not smooth. Its more like planar-type-construction bokeh, bright spots make sharp circles and thin lines gets thicker but more transparent.
My eye works that way, its possible that someone else's works different.

Thats why I think lots of people say that "planar type" construction makes a "3d look" or "3d feel", because out of focus character is similar as everyday human perception, and people general lie what is familiar to them.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree and disagree. The good and bad bokeh is surely subjective. But it is difficult to find good sample pictures of all the lenses you are looking for and even more difficult to find direct comparisons of these lenses. So if you recognize a lens X for it's bokeh (again, subjective as it could be) and someone else tells you that he also likes this lens' bokeh and finds a lens Y similar/better/worse to the lens X in this department, it can be very helpful. But I again agree that better/worse can be subjective Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether you realize it or not, I think most are in agreement with what I said earlier... as it applies to lenses - maybe not women. And I have stated before that I tend to like many different bokeh. In cases I see bokeh as adding interest to a photo as opposed to being distracting.

In this particular photo from the link provided earlier in this thread, the Canon lens provided well defined circles and rings that people often consider distracting, but for that photo it looks appropriate to me given the type of scene.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Whether you realize it or not, I think most are in agreement with what I said earlier... as it applies to lenses - maybe not women. And I have stated before that I tend to like many different bokeh. In cases I see bokeh as adding interest to a photo as opposed to being distracting.

I agree that even the most distracting bokeh can sometimes add to the picture and make it attractive. But we are taking this thread to the usual dispute about what is good/bad bokeh. I am looking currently for a particular type of bokeh that I find attractive. May be because I already have too many lenses with other bokeh types Smile

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so we all need defocus control on all lenses like this one:)

http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/135mm-f2-dc.htm

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestions:

Schacht Ulm S-Travelon-A 1.8/50 << pleasant bokeh even stopped down, rounded aperture blades.

Steinheil München Quinon 1.9/55, chrome version << nearly round iris even stopped down.

Both are contrasty and sharp, would rate them similar (optical and built quality) to early Leica Summicrons (but way cheaper) and a little bit over the early CZJ 2/50 Flexon/Pancolar regarding bokeh.