Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nokton 58 1.4 / Nikon 50mm 1.4 D / Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Nokton 58 1.4 / Nikon 50mm 1.4 D / Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 Reply with quote

Hi all,

I still have some funds left for buying lenses and wanted your opinion

Im between these lenses:

Nokton 58 1.4 / Nikon 50mm 1.4 D / Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4

To use on my D90

My main criteria:
1. smooth and silky bokeh
2. good in low light situations
3. minimal distortion/ca

Please advise

Regards,
Hari

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planar of course Smile I don't know others Wink

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Nokton 58 1.4 / Nikon 50mm 1.4 D / Zeiss Planar T* 50mm Reply with quote

Use Flickr to search for lens samples, really. Best way to form an opinion about the lens.

What I remember from using them:

1. Zeiss ZF 50/1.4 bokeh is worst of the three, Nikkor 50/1.4D is not that good bokeh either (Nikkor 50/1.4 Ai-S and 50/1.4G AF-S are much better). Nokton best bokeh of the three you are choosing from. This is personal opinion of course, bokeh is subjective.

2. Splitting hairs finding differences, really. Nikkor 50/1.4D AF may save some shots on a D90 in low light, the D90 viewfinder is not so good for manual focusing and low light increases difficulty factor.

3. As a Nikon user you will get the least CA with the Nikkor, provided that you use either on-camera JPEG or Capture NX RAW conversion. Nikon has programmed their own CPU-equipped lenses into the firmware & software = they know how to auto-correct them. Sadly they don't support 3rd party lenses with the same attention.

Last edited by Esox lucius on Sun May 09, 2010 8:35 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Planar of course Smile I don't know others Wink

+1 Wink

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only know the Voigtlander which joined the collection a couple of weeks ago so can't really comment. I can show some pics with the lens from my first day of using it.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... reading the Photozone reviews of all three lenses when used on Nikon crop sensor seems to turn the tables somewhat (I've used them on full-frame).

1. Nokton because of least distortion, best detail (au par with Zeiss) and least CA
2. Nikkor least detail of the three but better corrected (distortion, CA) than Zeiss
3. Planar blooming with CA and highest barrel distortion of all, sad because detail is best of them all

http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/255-zeiss-planar-zf-t-50mm-f14-review--lab-test-report

http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/216-nikkor-af-50mm-f14-d-review--lab-test-report

http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/360-voigtlander-nokton-58mm-f14-sl-ii

Planar and Nokton are both manufactured by Cosina btw.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also consider the ZF 2/50 Makro Planar. In many ways superior to the ZF 1,4/50 and it can do double duty as a macro when needed. The recessed front element is well shielded from stray light.

Here's Photozone's review on a crop sensor:

http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/259-zeiss-zf-makro-planar-t-50mm-f2-review--test-report

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may also want to consider a Leitz/Leica 50mm; they come in f/1.4 (Summilux), f/2 (Summicron) and f/2.8 (Elmarit). Various sellers offer conversion kits to Nikon F-mount (e.g. leitax.com).

I have the Summicron (f/2) and use it frequently on my D700. It gives very pleasing IQ, including bokeh (remember though, that 'quality' of bokeh is a matter of personal taste).

I also have the Voigtländer Nokton; it is very different from the Leica; much softer pictures with less contrast and detail, but with a nice "warm" signature and very nice for portraits!

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the price of the Summilux-R 50/1.4 you can get the Voigtländer SL 58/1.4 Nokton, Zeiss Planar T* 50/1.4, Summicron-R 50/2 and the Nikkor 50/1.4D AF and still have some money to spend Laughing Laughing

I will post some Nokton 58/1.4 samples tomorrow, I acquired a mint 58/1.4 Nokton today.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right about the high price for a Summilux Smile

I really like the Nokton, and it's reasonably sharp too (D700 & Voigtländer Nokton 58/1.4 @ f/8 ):

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
For the price of the Summilux-R 50/1.4 you can get the Voigtländer SL 58/1.4 Nokton, Zeiss Planar T* 50/1.4, Summicron-R 50/2 and the Nikkor 50/1.4D AF and still have some money to spend Laughing Laughing

Not if it's a used one like mine Wink
I sell it - here - for 400 Euros.
If someone is interested...

_

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio - that's a very competitive price! Unfortunately, I'm on a (self-imposed) very strict no-new-lenses diet... Sad

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is Nikon 50mm 1.4 D much cheaper that planar? I'd go for that one. Planar has (MHO) more ca but also better contrast.