Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which is 'THE' Minolta lens to own?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Which is 'THE' Minolta lens to own? Reply with quote

I remember a while back being pointed in the direction of a Minolta lens which was superb!! i mean really really good but i can't remember which one it was. I think it may be the 38mm but not sure and i can't remember what the widest aperture was either. Any clue's?

Is it the 38mm f2.8?

Many thanks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rokkor (manual - MD/MC) or A mount (AF) lens?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rokkor as it will be for my Lumix GF1.

I just remember seeing all these superb sharp images and thought that if i had the money i really aught to get one.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually you can also mount Minolta/Sony A mount to your GF1. Smile

Maybe Rokkor 58/1.2? One of my dream lens.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyw wrote:
Rokkor as it will be for my Lumix GF1.

I just remember seeing all these superb sharp images and thought that if i had the money i really aught to get one.

erm was it cogitech and his F1.2 lens?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually i think it may be 40mm f2?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say my sharpest Minolta lens is the Minolta MD 85mm F2.

It is almost always in my bag when I have the Panasonic G1 with me.

See here:

http://www.rokkorfiles.com/85mm%20Page%201.htm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Jupiter-9 for that focal length which is uber sharp!

I'm looking to go no larger than 50mm as the x2 crop is a bit of a nuisance.

Really i would like 24/28/35/40mm but high quality and a small, light lens so not to put too much of a strain on my GF1.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

40 mm? hexanon 1,8 is a very good one.

Leica M lenses go with your cam ? summicron 2/40 (or rokkor) is another very good.

Minolta 2/45, one more.

Rino.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Thanks, i'll have a look Smile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Which is 'THE' Minolta lens to own? Reply with quote

andyw wrote:
I remember a while back being pointed in the direction of a Minolta lens which was superb!! i mean really really good but i can't remember which one it was. I think it may be the 38mm but not sure and i can't remember what the widest aperture was either. Any clue's?

Is it the 38mm f2.8?

Many thanks

I don't have them but I've read that:

• the 58mm 1.2 has mesmerizing bokeh.
  • the 24mm 2.8 has leica-like sharpness.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found a rather nice affordable MINOLTA- ROKKOR 50mm f1.4 at £59!

I have also got my eye on a S-M-C Takumar 50mm f1.4!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 58/1.2 has amazing bokeh and is very sharp. I need to test more but I think it's the most sharp before infinity. These pics were taken with my EOS 500D.

Here is a shot from 2 meters at ISO 100 1/320 @ f8 (MC Rokkor-PG 58/1.2)

Here is an infinity shot at ISO 100 1/320 @ f8

And some beautiful bokeh from minimum focus distance at ISO 100 1/50 @ f1.2

I have my MD Rokkor-X 85/1.7 coming back from the shop soon and I'm eager to test it out. It is also revered as a magnificent lens.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rokkor 58mm f/1.2 is indeed superb, but unfortunately the prices have really gone up, probably due to spreading of the knowledge that it's easy to modify for modern DSLR mounts and the popularity of 4/3 systems.

Wide open:

Around f/2 to f/2.8:

(some more samples on flickr)

Last edited by Arkku on Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

natebarnz wrote:
The 58/1.2 has amazing bokeh and is very sharp. I need to test more but I think it's the most sharp before infinity.

It's also very sharp at infinity when properly focused. I spent several hours fine-tuning the infinity focus position by adding and removing individual layers of aluminium baking foil under the replacement mount, testing on stars wide open… =)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The S-M-C 1,4/50 is a great lens small and light.

And the rokkor 2/100?

Rino.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right it is expensive. I got very lucky and got a great deal on www.keh.com for $215. It was in BGN condition but came to me in very fine shape indeed. It had no caps but heh, for a BGN price what can I ask for.

I scored my 85 on a local craigslist ad for a great deal as well. Lucky I guess, but I sure had my eyes set on these two lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

natebarnz wrote:
Your right it is expensive. I got very lucky and got a great deal on www.keh.com for $215. It was in BGN condition but came to me in very fine shape indeed.

I paid about 75 EUR for mine with stuck aperture (easily fixed) and otherwise good condition, but shortly after this lens gained some popularity due to lens conversions featured on some photography blogs and forums (including my guide to converting it… should have stocked up on these lenses before publishing =).

I think µ4/3 and other EVIL cameras may make even some lenses formerly “useless on digital” increasingly popular (and therefore pricey) as well, so better buy the interesting ones now, I think.

P. S. I edited some sample photos into my earlier post.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! Yes that is indeed very sharp with really smoooooth bokeh!

Thanks peeps!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are some nice samples Arkku. Love the colors on that first shot.

Yea if only you could buy a few more at 75 EUR!!! It seems to run close to the $500 mark on the average ebay auctions that I have seen. Quite pricey these days indeed.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

natebarnz wrote:

It seems to run close to the $500 mark on the average ebay auctions that I have seen. Quite pricey these days indeed.

The sad thing is that I don't think it's quite worth that much; I think I'd rather go for the Sigmalux at that price.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku, the portrait is beautiful!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:
natebarnz wrote:

It seems to run close to the $500 mark on the average ebay auctions that I have seen. Quite pricey these days indeed.

The sad thing is that I don't think it's quite worth that much; I think I'd rather go for the Sigmalux at that price.

That is why until today I still have not gotten one. I have actually already look for it for over 2 years.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Which is 'THE' Minolta lens to own? Reply with quote

bogolisk wrote:
andyw wrote:

Is it the 38mm f2.8?

Many thanks

I don't have them but I've read that:

• the 58mm 1.2 has mesmerizing bokeh.
  • the 24mm 2.8 has leica-like sharpness.

Actually, the Leica 24/2.8 is made by Minolta

I have the newer MD 24/2.8 Minolta, it's an amazing lens but not as good as the Leica/Minolta MC 24/2.8 version.

Another great lenses are the 16mm fish-eye (it's so sharp that is unfair), and the 28 f/2 (very sharp wide open)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku, stunning portrait with magical bokeh and lights!