Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tennis with rangefinder
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: Tennis with rangefinder Reply with quote

Well, tennis is not certainly a subject I would choose to photograph using a rangefinder... but, I happened to get there, and, yes, it can also be done with a rangefinder! Very Happy
Of course, not having the bonus of framing and focusing through a lens, action shooting is limited in reaction times. But with some old school tricks, you can still take some pictures home... Wink

the audience (quite variegated) Smile

Leica M9 and Jupiter-8 for all shots.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shooting Orio. Pre-focussing again? Smile

The colours in the M9 pics you've posted in the last couple of days look a tad too punchy and oversaturated for my taste, particularly the blues. I don't feel this can be a simple WB setting, not the saturation anyway. I'm wondering if there's a picture style setting on the M9, as on the Canons. It just looks a little too vivid for me but perhaps I'm just too used to using the faithful setting.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Nice shooting Orio. Pre-focussing again? Smile

Yeah. And also some hyperfocal shots (for what a 50mm lens allows, that is, not much). And some cropping to mimick a small tele (as in picture 3); luckily, the camera provides plenty of detail for good crops.

peterqd wrote:
The colours in the M9 pics you've posted in the last couple of days look a tad too punchy and oversaturated for my taste, particularly the blues. I don't feel this can be a simple WB setting, not the saturation anyway. I'm wondering if there's a picture style setting on the M9, as on the Canons. It just looks a little too vivid for me but perhaps I'm just too used to using the faithful setting.

I experimented with colours, so yes it's possible that I have misleveled the blues. I concentrated mostly on making the clay and the greens right. Nothing makes a tennis shot look bad like a badly coloured clay. I learned that in the early days when I was shooting with film. The labs always rendered photos where the clay looked too red/orange.
So maybe in order to neutralize some orange, I have overdone some blue. I should have perhaps done localized colour editing with Power Retouche Pro. But I felt too lazy for that Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, well, I don't think you improved the colours this time, sorry. I don't know the correct colour of a clay court, but the variegated audience shot looks very unnatural to me. I'd like to see the untouched pics before I rush out and buy my M9 Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Hmm, well, I don't think you improved the colours this time, sorry. I don't know the correct colour of a clay court, but the variegated audience shot looks very unnatural to me. I'd like to see the untouched pics before I rush out and buy my M9 Very Happy

Unfortunately, I don't think I have the original out-of-camera DNG anymore, because I overwrote the file with my Lightroom settings.
So what I did is to zero all the colour sliders, this should make the image look more or less like it was out of the camera (at least, colour wise), aside, of course, from the camera profile that was applied by Lightroom:

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue with too saturation
non-natural colours in general.
so don't worry with me... but if the sensor of Leica m9 tends to charge a lot of blue/green...this camera is not for me !
Remember I have known various professional photographers and they like more the neutral colours. So many of these use slide-film like e-100g or equivalent.
I used with contax 139 the kodak e-100 or the equivalent of fuji.
So the first time I have used the eos5dII i have set the picture style to "true colours" because I don't love the colours with much saturation.
But for you..can be a problem that you must do more familiarity with software.
And these samples make me a bit nervous!
Without offense!

There is a thing that I like very much in these samples...and it is the t-shirt of Iron Maiden !

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I have already explained, the off colours here are the result of some colour experiment I made. It is not by any way the fault of the camera.