Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Grrr....
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Grrr.... Reply with quote

I was just THISCLOSE to getting my hands on an old 6MP Nikon DSLR in a trade but the guy apparently wants anything but what I have to trade, sigh. Story of my life dang it. He's about the 4th guy in the last six months that I've tried to trade with only to end up having to give it up because the ONLY thing he wants is yet more "guy" gear.

Apparently if you can't hunt with it, fish with it, drive it, or boot it up, to a guy it's pretty useless?

Hmm, I guess what I really need to do is find me a guy with a wife who likes sparkly things who can browbeat her hubby into selling off his 8 year old DSLR for something she might actually like? Nah, never mind, what am I thinking? A guy actually trading tech gear, (even older than God tech gear) simply for the love of his wife? It would SO never happen...

;P

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're the first woman I've come across who really understands!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I get it, but you know what? I'm just waiting for the one time some guy is stupid enough to view my trade offering in front of his girlfriend or wife. That's all it will take. One woman looking over some guy's shoulder at the right time viewing THIS to get what I want, lol. Actually I am considering just putting it up on Ebay this Fall around Christmas.

It's actually a vintage piece and should go pretty easily. It's rather unusual and most other women that have seen it usually tend to compliment me on it. It won't buy me my K-X but it could buy me a 6MP at least.

It might as well go. I can't wear it anymore anyway. Not even 14K gold will work on me anymore. Gold allergy. I always did have a problem with nickel, some silver, usually the cheap stuff, but somehow I've developed an actual gold allergy after years and years.

I was sitting there last night looking at it in it's case and finally I just decided why not? I'd get more use out of the camera anyway, right?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds surprisingly rational for a woman. After all, we are talking about jewellery, right? Laughing

Just kidding.

Keeping the jewellery would probably the better decision in terms of conservation of value. The camera will be pretty much worthless in a few years. But how does one benefit from value that one has no use for and just sits around? I'd defintely get the camera instead as well. But then again, I am a guy, so...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

magkelly wrote:
I'd get more use out of the camera anyway, right?

Definitely yes.
After all, it's always a matter of priorities.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've mostly kept it for sentimental reasons. It's only about $300 worth of diamond ring, if that. I can't wear it anymore and I doubt it will appreciate in value much. On the other hand I need the DSLR and it would help me a lot over the next couple of years learning until I can afford a better one. I actually think the relative that gave it to me would approve. She was always very supportive of me doing anything I wanted to do gender roles notwithstanding.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be easier then to sell it and buy a used DSLR. I suppose finding someone who is looking for such a diamond ring and having an old DSLR to trade might take a while.

On the other hand, the longer it takes, the better the camera will be that you can get for it. Mr. Green

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Grrr.... Reply with quote

magkelly wrote:
Apparently if you can't hunt with it, fish with it, drive it, or boot it up, to a guy it's pretty useless?

Well, as a guy who has all sorts of guy gear, I think you need to add a few more general categories. This might actually help you in a trade, who knows.

Guys who are musicians are also into "playing" stuff and all the ancillary gear associated with that. E.g., a guitarist with an electric guitar will have at least one amp, and probably a bag full of effects pedals.

Many of us also don't just drive, but we ride as well, as in motorcycles. Some of us are even attracted to old bikes and parts for them. (Raises hand and waves it back and forth)

A lot of us are into tools -- sometimes just for the sake of the tools themselves. Think "Tim the Tool Man Taylor" and you're not far off.

So, if you got anything that might fit in these categories laying about, you might want to give them a try.

Curious about your gold allergy. Very rare, methinks. Gold is one of the most non-reactive metals there is -- maybe the most? -- thus its non-allergenic status.

And yeah, it's a good thing my wife wasn't looking over my shoulder. Like she needs any more jewelry though . . . eheh . . . like I need any more lenses . . . eheh.

Last edited by cooltouch on Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:30 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cash is king, sell the sucker Smile
Pete

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to mention the value: put aside the sentimental stuff, I do think that jewelry (real one: gold, silver, diamonds, etc.) will gain value in the coming years.
But you're right, just as money, it's useless in itself, it just allows to buy more real stuff Smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Choice between a gold jewel and a classic manual lens (such as Zeiss or Leica)?
I take the lens. Maybe it won't gain value as a jewel, but sure it would not lose any either, and in the meantime, I can get much fun from it.
Choice between a gold jewel and any DSLR? I keep the jewel any time. The DSLR will be worth next to nothing in just a few years.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Choice between a gold jewel and a classic manual lens (such as Zeiss or Leica)?
I take the lens. Maybe it won't gain value as a jewel, but sure it would not lose any either, and in the meantime, I can get much fun from it.
Choice between a gold jewel and any DSLR? I keep the jewel any time. The DSLR will be worth next to nothing in just a few years.

being a vintage piece that logic may be sound. Not so if it was a 'new' piece, for a ring that cost 300 at the jeweler has a whole sale value of, I'd say 30 to 50, or in other words almost certainly one would get much less than originally paid unless one finds someone who really likes the piece.

Mag I guess you are thinking of the Nikon D40, which takes marvelous pictures. Do you already own Nikkor lenses you plan to use with it? Otherwise I wonder why Nikon, since on Nikon you will not be able to use many old MF lenses. The Pentax K100D uses exactly the same sensor, wouldn't cost more but with it, by the use of a simple mechanical adapter, you can use the wide range of M42 lenses, even stabilized by it's inbody stabilization