Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is this a light leak?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject: Is this a light leak? Reply with quote

Can this be a light leak? It randomly appears across several different films.This camera has been fully serviced less than a year ago.KR10 Ricoh.I thought it may have only been on the expired kodak gold but then it appears on the Fuji 400asa as well.It's the pinkish band below the flying foxes head.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too uniform to be a light leak?

Maybe inner reflection? Is there some really shiny part, missing foam or something behind mirror? (Put the camera to B take off lens and examine the thing .. )

Did both films go thru the same process, then it could be processing error.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were the two films sent to the lab to be developed at the same time, also looking at the negs can you see the band? A serviced camera and using two different films, it would seem to point in one direction for the problem.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it may have been the lab... Sad I looked at the 3 images before this and there is a tear or scratch running through it...except along the top half of the frame.

another pink band on the Fuji film
#2 I can not see the pink band on the neg

And this strange mark again on the fuji film again a different roll.
#3This mark is on the neg

I had seen all these little marks
and thought I won't worry about it but then I noticed the pink banding!
The camera has film loaded in it at the moment...I will run those off tomorrow and have a look at the seals...and what you have suggested.

Last edited by mo on Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:25 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, me in your position, i will try to shoot b&w film and develop it myself in my darkroom in by myself controlled conditions (which mean: loading film into devel tank in total darkness). or maybe try another lab. if problem will stay, its body problem.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More confusion #3 looks like light leak .. Confused

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked through a loupe only 10x magnification.#3The mark It appears on the negative (no 17) out side the frame of the picture it is green and it also appears on neg15 .I looked at the Bird photo and there is a line/mark on the negitive.
On the flying fox photo there is indeed a faint line that follows the pink banding across all frames.Lab or camera?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Bob I have the tank now so I may just have to start this home developing sooner than later.I have 40+ rolls of color so that might as well be the starting point.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of home developing, Mo, I used the Paterson spinner thingy for a roll yesterday, doing spin agitation only, 15 seconds every minute. Got some good negs ...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at #3 it's a light leak.

Shoot 2 rolls in 2 bodies and compare.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul for the agitator update. Very Happy
I will try that Martin...I have a few extra bodies running around! I have a possibly a few months of a warranty on the CLA left so if it is the camera it should be covered.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd check the mirror foam and light seals.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The foam all looks in good order,My only doubt is how far the mirror is sitting up in it's resting position?Is there a uniform distance(gap) from camera body to the bottom edge of the mirror itself?...I could start chasing ghosts here Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you have more than one camera, you can do what I do a lot.... use a roll of film over 2 to 4 cameras. Then send the film back to the lab and you will find what camera is faulty or if it's the lab.
All you need to do between each camera is to be careful when winding back, the film leader doesn't go back into the cassette and note the frame number for each camera change and add one or two on for slight spacing errors.

BTW.... of course cover the lens and viewfinder when firing the shutter to get back to the new frame numbers for each camera.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orange banding on colour prints usually shouts light leak to me. Exactly what I had on my Contax RTS. Half an hour and a mouse mat to fix it.