Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

FD 35/2 SSC
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:26 am    Post subject: FD 35/2 SSC Reply with quote

I sold my canon FD 35/2 white nose to member here some months ago. Somehow I miss this lens. when my friend sell this successor, 35/2 SSC, I took it.
Here's my conclusion compared to WIhete nose.
The SSC one is lighter
SSC is sharper in wide open
Some samples

wide open

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this the concave? e.g. f/16 smallest aperture.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the white nose is the concave I used to own it, this is the ssc, smallest aperture is 22

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAZA wrote:
the white nose is the concave I used to own it, this is the ssc, smallest aperture is 22

correct me, but the true thorium concave 35/2 is an SSC---says this on the front.

There are actually at least three SSC versions.

And in my research I found only one of all the 35/2s has the the concave element. This is the second or third SSC, stops to f/16 and can be IDed by serial. Mine is 60045.

I think that's mostly from the the Canon Museum.

That said, not sure it makes any difference except for the yellowing when kept out of light.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll speak from personal experience. The initial version of the FD 35/2 was the chrome nose with concave front element. This lens was updated to SSC status with the black filter ring, keeping its concave element. The optical configuration was changed ca. 1976 with this FD/SSC design getting the convex front element. I own the convex SSC and have seen the concave configurations in both chrome nose and SSC versions.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh.. maybe I'm lack of information. Ok here's the one I sold

front

Here's the one I have now and used for those pictures above

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon Compendium lists six iterations of the 35/2. Sixth is the "New FD" version. Of the remaining five, the chart shows three versions as being introduced in March of 1971. The SSC version (#4) is dated March 1973 with the remark "Same lens, SSC Version. Version #5 shows an intro date of April 1976 with remarks "New optics, floating elements".

The example in your picture is an early version. The green circle on the aperture ring was replaced with a green A in later versions. A lock button to secure the aperture ring in the A position was also added later.

Chrome front lenses had the front body made from brass and chromed. They are specified as weighing 420 grams. Black front lenses had the front body made from aluminum and weigh 370 grams.

If you were to locate all the production variations of the FD mount 35/2, you would certainly have five lenses and perhaps more. They were also available marked B&H/Canon as Canon supplied some cameras and lenses to Bell and Howell after their distribution agreement ended in the early 70s.

Canon Compendium is a well researched book authored by former Shutterbug magazine editor Bob Shell and published by Hove in 1994.

Bill