Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tessar Revisited...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Tessar Revisited... Reply with quote

Sometimes this happens.
You know a lens, at least you think you know it, and suddenly you rediscover it.

I have shot with several different Tessar lenses: EXA, M42, Russian copies and all those lenses showed a very similar behaviour. Really sharp in the centre and losing it a bit towards the corners, nice colours and rather pleasant bokeh. I have put into the drawer that says "good but not spectacular".

But recently I got an M42 CZJ Tessar in a lens swap from Ludo (ludoo) and yesterday I tried it in our garden on my 5D.

Tell you what? This lens really surprised me again!

Shooting with a decent copy of a Tessar is always fun. A Tessar lens should be part of every collection.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree.

Actually I haven't a tessar 2,8/50. But, like you said, it "should be part of every collection."

Perhaps it's time to look for one (very cheap, of course).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, where are the garden shots? Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Contax Tessar 45 2.8 is spectacular and resolve more than actual sensor, but it the same for all Zeiss lenses

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad the little black Tessar found a good home. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
the Contax Tessar 45 2.8 is spectacular and resolve more than actual sensor, but it the same for all Zeiss lenses

The C/Y tessar, like was demostrate in the forum, is MC and matched the CZJ one in contrast. I guess that was a Koji post.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My little CZJ Tessar 3.5/50 T Alum, some minutes ago on 5DII: (minimum PP, no extra contrast-sharpness)

@f3.5

(Click on the photo for full size & sharpness)

It's a pity that I cannot use my Tessar 4.5/40 T coating on my 5DII Evil or Very Mad

Icarex CZ 2.8/50 Tessar & Contax CZ Tessar 2.8/45 are also excellent..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And don't forget that Tessar lenses usually deliver superb results when used on extension tubes for close-up shots. A $20 Tessar 50/2.8 from an old Praktica camera delivers great results when mounted on a bellows.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:

Coming, don't rush me. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have one. I've owned 2 with sticky apertures and given up on them. I tell myself it's beacuase their slow and problematic.

Plus, how many more 50s do I need? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe i should go for a walk with my old Alu Tessar too.. Very Happy

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

All, Martin, all of them. Laughing Laughing

Rino.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Tessar Revisited... Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

Shooting with a decent copy of a Tessar is always fun. A Tessar lens should be part of every collection.

I absolutely agree, Carsten!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

estudleon wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

All, Martin, all of them. Laughing Laughing

Rino.

+1 Wink ...

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 50/2.8 and a nikkor 45/2.8 (which is almost certainly a tessar design). Both beautiful. Agree absolutely with Carsten.

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
fish4570 wrote:

Coming, don't rush me. Wink

OK, here are some shots. Taken with the Tessar on my 5D in our garden some days ago...

My son.

My daughter.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
OK, here are some shots. Taken with the Tessar on my 5D in our garden some days ago...

Wow! I predict a rise in price for the humble CZJ Tessar (and a 5D in my near future).

It seems this lens found its right owner. Smile