Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Second hand lens guide with this weeks amatuer photographer
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Second hand lens guide with this weeks amatuer photographer Reply with quote

It's a pretty good article, mentions many lenses old and new including an old soligor preset and tamron adaptalls as well as newer AF lenses, covers what to look out for when buying and what cameras can be adapted to use old lenses on etc.

My only gripe is that in the list of adapters it only recommends the very expensive name brand ones and warns you away from the cheaper ebay ones, while I admit a few of the ebay ones are poor most of them are perfectly usable.

The adapters it mentioned cost more than most of the lenses! Aside from infinity focus and and a tight fit I don't see what else you could really want, especially when adapters on ebay cost £15 and the ones mentioned were £100+

Apart from that I found it an interesting article, it has guides for post processing to removes things like colour fringing and low contrast with old optics and the part that I found most pleasing was the section where they encouraged you to make the most of the different flaws old lenses have such as corner softness and vignetting by using those characteristics for artistic effect.

Perhaps a scan would be appropriate for foreign members who cannot get a copy and hence would not be taking away from potential sales *wink wink* *nudge nudge*?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Second hand lens guide with this weeks amatuer photograp Reply with quote

Hi,

fatdeeman wrote:

Apart from that I found it an interesting article, it has guides for post processing to removes things like colour fringing and low contrast with old optics and the part that I found most pleasing was the section where they encouraged you to make the most of the different flaws old lenses have such as corner softness and vignetting by using those characteristics for artistic effect.

Perhaps a scan would be appropriate for foreign members who cannot get a copy and hence would not be taking away from potential sales *wink wink* *nudge nudge*?

Yes, this sounds really interesting ...
Apparently this magazine is not sold in France (at least in Toulouse) ...

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to go and see if it's available here. "Amateur Photographer" is the name, do you have the ISSN number (inside cover)?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no! They did an article last year as well, luckily not too many caught on Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the tip, fatdeeman. I'd offer to scan it in but I don't have a scanner at home, this was a little amusing though:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew it... I have shitty optics! Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a scan would be really nice indeed!! Wink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to read up AP mag online much cheaper than buying printed version.

I bought two full AP issues for $4.95.

Here it is:
www.zinio.com

Reviews:
http://www.livingasian.com/2007/07/zinio-electronic-magazines/
http://www.carrotreviews.com/website-reviews/Zinio-com/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please cross-post this to my thread about crap use of language please! It's too perfect! lol

Doug

orangehexagon wrote:
Thank you for the tip, fatdeeman. I'd offer to scan it in but I don't have a scanner at home, this was a little amusing though:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stingOM wrote:
You should be able to read up AP mag online much cheaper than buying printed version.

I bought two full AP issues for $4.95.

Here it is:
www.zinio.com

Reviews:
http://www.livingasian.com/2007/07/zinio-electronic-magazines/
http://www.carrotreviews.com/website-reviews/Zinio-com/

here is even cheaper, lol!!
http://www.youkioske.com/fotografia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to threadjack a little -- here's an article I wrote: PAWNSHOP LENSES (and other used lenses) - A Buyers' Guide. It's about Pentax-type lenses but the principles should apply generally.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RioRico wrote:
Just to threadjack a little -- here's an article I wrote: PAWNSHOP LENSES (and other used lenses) - A Buyers' Guide. It's about Pentax-type lenses but the principles should apply generally.

Nice article, thank you for the link!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember last year's article. It wasn't bad at all, but I stopped buying that mag as it started to get very samey and I'm sure the content has dropped. I can read the whole thing now in just a few minutes.

I'm surprised that this forum doesn't get featured.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. But I can't find the guide in the content overview.
Which issue features that?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a separate supplement inside a plastic bag with the full magazine.