Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I finally am getting a Zeiss folder...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: I finally am getting a Zeiss folder... Reply with quote

... having managed to avoid these, in favor of Voigtlander and Certo, finally a nice looking pre-war Ikomat 520 6x4.5 fell into place on the bay.

This one's interesting as it has a 70mm 3.5 Tessar (instead of the more usual 75) in a Compur shutter. Pre-war, of course!

I'll post photos with it as soon as it gets here Wink

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice and cheap one! I'm looking forward to your first results, but I have a feeling that a CLA is in order Wink

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had mixed experience with pre-war folder I hope you get from better part. I look forward your samples! Congrats for your new deal!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile two of my favorite cameras are prewar - the Bessa 66 / Skopar and the Certo Super Sport Dolly / Xenar, so I know the better ones can work well - the lesser ones, or the very early ones, may have some issues.

A light CLA by myself should not be too difficult - short of disassembling the shutter I've managed... Hope that is the case here too. The seller does indicate at least the shutter is running.

I'll have to do something with the ruby windows - usually I put black electrical tape as a flap, but seems like putting some felt/foam around the windows might do the trick. This one's luckily not one of the very very early ones Wink
http://photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00PJJQ

I'll find my Zeiss history book to look up some particulars about this variant.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hope it is a dandy ...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Jussi! Looking forward to seeing some shots. How many folders
do you have now?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um... 4 Voigtlanders, 2 Certos and a Franka, plus this one, in 120; two Retinas in 35mm.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How 'bout a Welta Weltur or Super Ikonta to round out the collection? Both
have coupled RFs, too.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The camera arrived, and it is cute! Main problem is that the shutter assembly isn't tightened, so it rotates... no biggie, easy to tighten. However this means I'd better check for infinity with the lens before using...

Interesting dilemma: looks like the correct orientation of the shutter/lens is so the COMPUR name is tilted towards 7/8 o'clock, and the shutter speed pointer is at around 2 o'clock. This way the shutter release is positioned so I can get to it, and the cock is pointed up. Orienting the assembly so COMPUR is at 6 o'clock results in the shutter release being obscured by the folder struts. Oh, looking at pictures I know how it should be - 12 noon should be pointing towards the top of the camera, i.e. the pop up viewfinder!

Based on serial numbers, the camera is from 1933. It has flocking around the rear windows, so perhaps I won't need electrical tape.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a pretty fast lens. hope to see some pics soon, then some slides ...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You certainly have the quality version of this !

I have the cheaper Nettar 515, which is very similar but with triplet Novar lens and Prontor shutter.

They are very cute and very handy, a real pocket MF system.

Things to watch out for

- the sometimes unreliable body release. That seems to get stuck at the worst moments. Keep a small cable release around.

- light leaks, especially around the red window.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink this one doesn't have a body release, the button that looks like one opens the folder...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3 element lenses do very well, maybe better than 4, in folders. Probably due to the types of shots we tend to take with these cameras.

Anyway, I gave the shutter assembly a good tightening, cleaned off the lenses and various other bits so everything moves smoothly... and discovered the infinity stop screw's missing! Oh well, I won't let that stop me (To Infinity and Beyond!) so in went some Delta 100, and results will be ready in the next day or so. After that I'll see if a set screw from another camera will fit this one, and do the whole infinity checking thing. I just couldn't wait, and after all, it's just film... Wink

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First roll, Delta 100, went meterless and guessed at focus - looks like the lens is reasonably collimated despite the missing infinity stop screw...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. That looks pretty good. Congratulations on the camera.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like its going to work out well for you.

That second picture, other than the spotting scopes and style of bow, could have been made in the thirty s.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice ones, Jussi, I don't see a compound/power cam bow in the bunch, there.
I haven't shot a bow in years but my fave was a take-down Dynabo by John Graham,
which had a power cam in the lower limb and recurve in the upper.
Both limbs unbolted from the riser making a compact package for traveling.

Looks like some of those recurves pictured are take-down models.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have competitions / practices in the park sporadically - I didn't have the time + ran out of film, so I couldn't get photos of their actually shooting. A few years ago Geena Davis came to shoot here, when she was trying out for the Olympics.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember seeing pictures of her shooting bow. Tall, beautiful, smart, a
nice package, herself! Laughing