Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sailing in Croatia - part 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Sailing in Croatia - part 1 Reply with quote

Hello,

here are first shots from the sailing trip I got back from last week.

1. One of the other boats (zuiko 24mm)

2. Trees (obviously)

3. Harbour view from one of the islands Zuiko 18mm for next few.

4. Same day just around the corner

5. More of the same spot

6. At an extraordinary restaurant called Ollio's, these were at iso1600 and wide open (EF 50mm f1.4)

7. Ais 105 f2.5

8. What is causing the rather attractive light (EF 50mm f1.4)

Let me know what you think, all comments and critiques gratefully accepted!

Cheers!!

Simon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really outstanding set of pictures. Looks like a wonderful vacation (holiday). The Oly and the flek shots are stunning. A bit surprised at the somewhat flat result of the 105 - could well be lighting.

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The black and white pictures are stunning as always.
I have many favourites amongst them, # 2, 3 and 4, all of which I would love to see printed in big size.
You have a true talent for black and white!

There's somthing in the lighting of #1 that leaves me perplexed (hdri?)

The portraits and candlelight image are also very nice, although I can't avoid but feeling that there is something inherently "flat" or "weak" in Canon's autofocus lenses' images - a feeling I have also with the EF lenses that I own.

Before leaving I realized I haven't stressed enough how great the B&W pictures look - "trees" is a masterpiece.

You need to give us the secret recipe for you B&Ws! Wink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with all, the BWs are simply outstanding! I also like the still life
#8 color shot. I'm with Orio, what's the recipe for your BWs? Looks like
you used medium format film!

Bill

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tree shot is something else! I can just see Dorothy clutching her
dog Toto creeping through these! Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master of B&W photos! Congratulation!Croatia is an amazing country I like a lot except too crowded at summer time.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
all comments and critiques gratefully accepted!

I don't know if my monitor need alignment but all b&w pics seems too dark & too contrast like if it was moonlight. Maybe I would appreciate them better in color.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks PatrickH, in fact you are absolutely right - the nikon 105 shot was actually also with the 50 f1.4 - just checked the exif - whoops.

It is a cool place to visit, but as Attila says, don't go in mid summer.

Hi Orio,
Glad you liked them. 1 is not HDRI, just my usual tricks, but I don't really like this one so much so I did it rather quickly I think. That is my excuse anyway Smile

Interesting your point about the flatness of the canon lens. I think I agree, although my experience of German glass is limited to the Flek 35mm (which clearly has buckets of character) Can't remember id I posted this - not a great image but not, at least I don't think, very flat!

The zuikos are also quite flat I think, does not seem to matter so much with ultrawides...

Secret recipe for BW is channel mixer and levels and curves - usual stuff!!

thanks Bill - that was an incredible little forest - a bit of a botanical garden with some amazing plants...

Thanks Attila!!

Hi Poilu - that's what they are meant to look like
Wink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon,
no, this pictures does not look flat, and neither does the candles one. I think I explained myself not precisely. I'm not really refering to flatness of planes, or lack of depth perception. What I am really refering to, is microcontrast, the objects may look round when the lighting is proper, but still inside themselves, they lack the "strenght" and "guts" that other brands of lenses provide. They're weak. They rest in the image instead of shouting out "hey I'm here".
Don't know it this makes sense at all
Rolling Eyes Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I think I know what you mean.

But you are an expert in these matters... I am certain that as you look at images over time your eye develops to detect nuances and so on.

To be honest I was rather impressed by the what the canon did in this situation - there really was only a few candles to light the scene. To make any sort of picture under these circumstances I found impressive (although most came out BAD!!!)

I experienced an incredibly beautiful sky when I was out on the boat - and I shot around 20-30 pictures. Now I am back home I realised that they are all out of focus, because my 18mm lens was set slightly back from infinity. Stupid not to check but for the first time I find myself wanting a canon 16-35 f2.8 mk2... Sad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spkennedy3000 wrote:
OK I think I know what you mean.

But you are an expert in these matters... I am certain that as you look at images over time your eye develops to detect nuances and so on.

Oh no it's no expertise... I'm just hypercritical and a perfectionist Wink
I am not a technical person, but I have a very analytical eye for the aesthetic issues. I have to say that when I know a subject, I always do very well in blind tests. That is to say, I am able to memorize the aesthetic qualities of a lens quite well.

Quote:
To be honest I was rather impressed by the what the canon did in this situation - there really was only a few candles to light the scene. To make any sort of picture under these circumstances I found impressive (although most came out BAD!!!)

Well of course, the less light you have in a scene, the most effective the autofocus gets, because you have to use lenses wide open and autofocus is faster than human eye to react. In such situations, an out-of-focus (curious... i noticed now it almost rhymes with "autofocus", Laughing ) image becomes quickly a bad image because you don't have much DOF to play with

Quote:

I experienced an incredibly beautiful sky when I was out on the boat - and I shot around 20-30 pictures. Now I am back home I realised that they are all out of focus, because my 18mm lens was set slightly back from infinity. Stupid not to check but for the first time I find myself wanting a canon 16-35 f2.8 mk2... Sad

Yes, it's difficult to be on vacation and to be photographing manually at the same time. Manual photography requires concentration. With autofocus and program modes, you can just relax and let the camera do its job. But hey, we like to be real photographers and not holiday shooters, right? So that's the price to pay Wink