Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New lenses from Zeiss
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: New lenses from Zeiss Reply with quote

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1004/10041300carlzeisscp2lw2.asp

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh! They are going to cost a fortune Crying or Very sad

I just read today that the 5D Mark II was used in the shooting of "Doctor House" episodes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I bet they will be very expensive. Likely no less than other new Zeiss Cine lenses.
Exciting times though considering what it used to cost to do HD video.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:

Exciting times though considering what it used to cost to do HD video.

Yes, especially camera-side.

At Zeiss they are really smart guys. The HD video capabilities of the new DSLRs offered them the chance to make a whole new line of SLR lenses with zero R&D - just adapt the mount and register distance of their cine lenses to the DSLR cameras!!

This is going to get a lot of money in their pockets. A 5DMkII with a couple of Zeiss zooms is going to be the movie making arsenal for a lot of independents.

I just hope that this does not mean that they will slow down the production and development of regular DSLR lenses for us guys with smaller pockets Sad

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to think about it, when did zeiss ever sold an inexpensive lens?I know some will argue about quality etc. I am talking in general terms.

Let see if Zeiss create magic this time with the introduction (or is it reintroduction) of these cine lens.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...now you know why I started selling lenses Wink Wink
Video is a $$$.$$$ business....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:
Come to think about it, when did zeiss ever sold an inexpensive lens?I know some will argue about quality etc. I am talking in general terms.

I don't know what your term of comparison is for inexpensive, but keep in mind that we are talking new lenses, not used lenses.

Are the new Z lenses really expensive compared to new Canon L lenses? I don't think so. Actually, many of them are priced in between the Canon non-L lenses and the Canon L lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it was a general statement, as I am not buying THESE specific lenes anyway...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go Zeiss! I'm intrigued by their interchangeable lens mounts, seems so easy to incorporate and makes the lenses infinitely more versatile.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
my_photography wrote:

I don't know what your term of comparison is for inexpensive, but keep in mind that we are talking new lenses, not used lenses.

Are the new Z lenses really expensive compared to new Canon L lenses? I don't think so. Actually, many of them are priced in between the Canon non-L lenses and the Canon L lenses.

For many AF users who do not share our love with MF lens, they scratch their heads trying to figure out why new manual lens are selling at L lens price or near L lens price.