Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kris and his Pentax stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Kris and his Pentax stuff Reply with quote

I have a fair bit of Pentax gear this days (although not of the scale or of the rarity of some of the postings on here). I happened to be out and about with a bit of time on my hands so I took a couple of shots of my latest acquisitions. I'll add to the gallery when and as I get the chance to shoot more.

Best wishes, Kris.

First off, SMC "K" 15mm f/3.5 on a KX.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooooh, that's a very sweet lens Kris, and I love the setting for these photos - very original and really rather clever Wink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking at getting a KX just to try a Pentax camera with Pentax lenses and see if there is a difference between it and the Ricohs.
How does this camera feel in hand....any for and against thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bit of kit!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

=))) what an attractive stuff!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:
I am looking at getting a KX just to try a Pentax camera with Pentax lenses and see if there is a difference between it and the Ricohs.
How does this camera feel in hand....any for and against thoughts?

Mo-Fo, my K2 is my favourite Pentax bayonet camera. It's slightly smaller than the Spotmatic but in fact weighs about 70g more, so it's quite solid and heavy (especially with a lovely chunk of glass like Kris's 15mm!) I prefer this myself, but it's not everyone's cup of tea. The mirror/shutter makes hardly any vibration when fired.

If you prefer a smaller and lighter camera I'd suggest you look at the the M range, such as the MX or ME Super. Or the later P30n (plastic) is very nice to use as well, except I dislike not being able to set the ASA myself.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Peter,I have researched a little on the KX and others I think the ME was my 2nd choice.I like my Ricohs but really want to see how the Pentax handles.I want to avoid the clunk as it is no good when trying to capture the cats when they are relaxed and next minute "CLUNK" they jump without fail. Sad Does the KX clunk?
I will look into the K2.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:
Does the KX clunk? I will look into the K2.

I really don't know a lot about the KX. It looks like a Spotmatic in a K body, so I would guess it has a nice Spotmatic sound too. The K2 is quite a bit different, apart from the body shape. It has stepless AE shutter speeds but still has the Spotmatic-type focus screen without split image. The metal shutter has a lovely clicky sound, and you can lock the mirror up to make it even quieter. It was the top model of that range I think (except for the K2 DMD with databack), but it's quite rare because the M range was released only a year later.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The KX is quite a well built chunky camera definitely in the Spotmatic mode. I rather like it with heavier lenses like the 15mm, but prefer the MX with smaller lenses like the M series 40mm pancake.

The MX is really very quiet, especially compared to my LX which is really quite loud. The MX can be made even quieter by the use of the specially designed "short case" which helps mask the shutter.

I'll photograph some more of my kit on the weekend as long as it isn't raining!

K.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice case, I have never seen one for the MX. But it's called a "blimp".

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of no split screen and the lock up mirror intrigues me!...more research needed Very Happy

Nice "Blimp" and nice camera.Is the LX all it's cracked up to be in every ones desire to have one?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't noticed anything special about the KX sound - not obtrusive or anything, and no extended noisiness about it. The KX if mu memory works also has mlu. The metering indication in the view finder's really nice... the Nikon FE has something similar. The body shouldn't matter so much, but yet I find some of my favorite photos are with the KX.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:
Is the LX all it's cracked up to be in every ones desire to have one?

I am very fond of my LX. I used to shoot a lot of slide film and the LX meter is the most reliable I have ever used. The interchangeable viewfinders are very useful especially if you like macro work, and the easily changed focus screens are helpful too (although you can get those for the MX too). I prefer the metering system on the LX to the MX, it is more like the one on the KX. It is smaller than the KX but more rugged than the MX.

If I was forced, Heaven forbid, to keep only one 35mm film camera, it would be the LX. After that, the MX, and then probably the ES (of which I am irrationally fond).

Best wishes, K.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a lot to think about I will watch eBay and see what is out there for awhile to gauge the prices.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a pure value-for-money perspective, the KX is cheapest of the trio, but not because it is in any sense the worst of them. The MX goes for a bit more, the LX for considerably more.

K.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As promised, some more shots of my gear. First up, some more K series lenses.

1. The KX again this time with the SMC 50mm f/1.2.

2. The KX once more this time with a SMC 200mm f/4.

3. My K series collection so far: 15mm f/3.5, 35mm f/3.5, 50mm f/1.2, 55mm f/2, 135mm f/2.5 and a 200mm f/4.

4. Individual shots of the remaining three lenses: the 50mm f/2, the 35mm f/3.5 and the 135mm f/2.5 (a stunning lens).

Hope you like them. More stuff later.... Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like a little Pentax mushroom farm Very Happy Love the way you set them out on the tree....beautiful.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love reflection on your 15/3,5 from 3rd series 3rd photo =)
otherwise also very good shot with another lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My three exes... and I don't mean girlfriends! Wink

1. The trio of Xs

2. The KX with SMC 35mm f/3.5 lens

3. The LX with SMC 50mm f/1.2, grip B and FA-1W viewfinder.

4. The MX with SMC-M 40mm f/2.8 pancake lens.

5. The LX with the same lens but with the LX power winder and an AF280T flashgun.

6. The MX with an MX power winder and a SMC-M 100mm f/2.8 lens.

Best wishes, Kris.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was out using my ES and my "new" S-M-C 28mm f/3.5 lens today (see the thread in the lenses section) and took a few snaps of my gear while I was about it.

1. Detail of the ES. Taken using a Jupiter-9 85mm lens mounted on a K20D with an extension tube. Note the whacky bokeh on the X of Pentax!

2. The ES mounted on a tripod with a right-angle finder, the 28mm lens and a green filter. Taken using a K20D with a SMC-M 100mm f/2.8 lens.

3. Wider view of the same set-up.

4. Same set-up, but showing what I was photographing.

Best wishes, Kris.

Last edited by womble on Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of my KX and LX in action, and a non-Pentax camera! Smile

1. KX in macro mode. Fitted with a SMC "K" 135mm lens, extension tube and right-angle finder.

2. Ditto.

3. LX with the same lens set-up as above but with a FE-1 magnifinder.

4. Ditto.

5. My Yashica Mat G TLR.

Best wishes, Kris.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kris it is really nice to see the set up and the cameras in action...little wildlife shots...of the cameras out in the wild Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply an oustanding set, Kris! Beautifully presented, too.