Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

M42 Zoom Lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: M42 Zoom Lenses Reply with quote

Lately I've been getting into many situations that a zoom lens would be really convenient. I've stayed away in the past simply because primes are supposed to be much better for their specific length. Though when traveling in a group most of the normal 'point-and-shoot' digital crowd don't understand that it takes a little time to set up a shot and god-forbid if you want to change a lens over. So in an attempt to resolve this, I thought a zoom might allow a bit more composition time. Anyways I was just wondering if anyone had experience with a lower-range m42 lens - maybe something from a semi-wide to a portrait.

Also I'm in St. Petersburg currently. I'm at a loss to find any older screw mount optics. I was under the impression that they were somewhat prevalent so I must not be looking in the right places. Does anyone know of any shops or markets that may have them?

Thanks in advance
~Marc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallo!

What do you need?

Fix focal lens?

Zoom-Lens?

Which Cam do you use, DSLR with Crop or Fullformat ?

The russian Mir-Lenses are very good and cheap.

50mm Lenses are perfect allrounder, but on DSLR with crop, the are like a 75mm and this is good for portrait, not so good for street and architecture.

You can take every jena or zeiss, the are one of the best.

regards Peter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, Marc was asking for a zoom lens. Wink
I can really recommend a Sigma Zoom-0 II 3.5-4.5/28-85 MC (M42). It's a very decent lens. The only problem is that you don't find it that often.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that Soviet zoom lenses exist - can anyone correct me?

Also I can not recall any Zeiss Jena zoom lenses.

As for zoom in M42, I'd guess that either Takumars ot Tamrons with adaptall-2 M42 ring are your best choices.

As for finding shops of old lenses in St.Petersburg - what about asking in a Russian forum?
Alternatively, try asking the owner of a photo shop - you might find one wanting to cooperate.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio , i can give an answer : I'm the owner of 2 russian zoom lenses : Granit-11 4,5/ 80-200mm preset (M42) and the Mc Variozenitar 2,8 25-45 mm (K mount , almaz project) . The last is near excellent , it was my all-purpose lens on pentax MX and ME .
The granit-11 is a curiosity , my copy is more than so-so , and it is a preset lens !
Both lenses are apparently available at rugift's .

Variozenitar :

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, I've been aware of the granit (also branded as the arsat) for quite some time. Anything I have heard has arrived at the same "nothing spectacular" conclusion. It also is of the upper-range of zooms which I'm not really interested in.

I know zeiss made the vario-pancolar. It is rare, and quite expensive.

The Zenitar pictures are great! I'm not to sure about the k mount though. I'd much rather stick with the m42 mount.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marc
I hope you are enjoying your visit to Russia. Just another thought on your topic. Why not just carry a second camera? I usually have a rangefinder with either a 35mm or 40mm lens on it. The Yashica electro CC or Canon QL 17 are great. The Yashi has a 35mm f1.8 and canon 40 1.7. Like you, I prefer primes. The one zoom that I actually use is a Kiron 28-90. It is very good but I don't know if they ever made it in M42. Tamron may be another option if you can find an adapt-all II mount for m42. The wider end zooms did not become very popular until after M42 mount had it's time. It may be tough to find what you want.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marc
You can also find decent zooms under the Vivitar Series 1 label or the Kiron zooms can come in M42 mounts I believe (Russ?)

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a lovely rural picture Helios. I like the portrait format better because of the tall tree, but they'd both make fantastic oil paintings.

For Marc I'd give my recommendation for the Tamron SP35-80 or SP28-80 with M42 Adaptall-2 mount. The 35 is slightly more my favourite picture-wise, but the 28mm is obviously more useful. They seem to be prone to flare sometimes (the hoods don't help a lot) and some barrel distortion at the wide end, but I think this affects virtually all zooms to some extent. The picture quality (resolution, contrast and richness of colour) is first class.

EDIT: Rob's pictures in Gallery reminded me I hadn't mentioned the macro ability of the SP35-80

Last edited by peterqd on Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:07 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helios, what gorgeous photos!!!!!!!!

You make me wishing the Variozenitar.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Helios, what gorgeous photos!!!!!!!!

You make me wishing the Variozenitar.

AFAIK, they are pretty rare and do not go for little money. I keep my fingers crossed for you, if you decide to hunt one down.

BTW, there are plenty of Russian zoom lenses:
- Variozenitars (25-45 / 35-70 / 35-100), all in f2.8
- Variozenitar 40-85-120 (a tri-focus lens)
- Yantar-14N 28-85
- Yantar-20N 35-200
- Rubin-1ts 37-80 (M42)
- Granit lenses (11: 80-200 & 16K: 200-500!)

If you look at the focal ranges, there is some similarity to certain other products... Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The variozenitar is really a top performer in this range of focal lengths ! Rural landscapes are not very rare , here ... On full frame , there is no distorsion , no vignetting even at full aperture and 25mm . I'm collecting the whole range of russian lenses in M42 , and therefore in native K-mount . I'll post soon some pics made with the Volna (No number) 1,8/50 , standard lens mounted on the almaz-101 (I have the body) .

Here 2 pics with variozenitar at 25mm , f/8 , full frame (film) , body pentax MX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO some of the best zoom lenses ever made are the Tamron SP's
Check out all the details on Adaptall-2.com
Worth considering are the SP 28-80, SP 35-80, SP 70-210 model 19AH, SP 60-300
Many of these lenses WILL outperform many primes. The performance details are on the site.
Over the years I have tried many different zooms but nothing comes near the consistant performance of Tamrons

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helios, the colours in the last two pics are "funny" - they remind me of the old books, the first ones with colour photos printed in.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sky seems to be tinted green.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Helios -

What do you scan with ?

Because its miles better than what I've got !

Nice shots, pretty town.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Helios, the colours in the last two pics are "funny" - they remind me of the old books, the first ones with colour photos printed in.

Old Reader's Digest covers about 1950-60 were also like this. I think it is because of some rasterizing technique.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scanner is a Polaroïd sprinstcan 35 +...used at 2700 dpi (max) to obtain a slightly cropped pic of 2400x3600 pix (This scanner was one of the bests in 1995) ... "Funny colors" : these pics were not corrected after scan Very Happy , I didn't upload the corrected version (green sky) .However, I didn't use any polarizing filter , and the film was Konica 200 iso, if I remember . The scanner is not yet retired , I have only about 20000 negatives and 12000 dias to scan Mr. Green

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar Series 1 zooms. I have the 35-85mm which is not really a zoom, but as sharp as my primes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

- Rubin-1ts 37-80 (M42)

Is there such a thing? Most of them are Zenit 4 bayonet?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

- Rubin-1ts 37-80 (M42)

I saw one selling in a China auction site with has converted to m42. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure Marc has either picked up the lens he needs or given up completely by now Laughing

But for anyone else looking for a decent zoom, I can only echo what has been said about the Tamron SP lenses. The 28-80 can be picked up very cheaply (if you look in the right places!) and even the standard Adaptall 2 35-70 is a nice performer. Check out the 103A 80-210 and the 46A 70-210 zoom as well Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
kansalliskala wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

- Rubin-1ts 37-80 (M42)

I saw one selling in a China auction site with has converted to m42. Wink

I wish they converted Zenit 4 digital rather. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with above comments re Tamron SP 35-80mm. Very impressive especially with the adaptor with electronic contacts.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beachboy2 wrote:
I agree with above comments re Tamron SP 35-80mm. Very impressive especially with the adaptor with electronic contacts.

This lens makes me nuts. It is really sharp but flare is a real issue (at least my copy).

This is 200% crop! No sharpening, nothing done, 80 / 5.6, FF.