Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Looking for a 24-35mm and 50mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Looking for a 24-35mm and 50mm Reply with quote

Hi!

This is my first post in the forum.

I'm looking for a lens in the 24mm to 35mm range, with a minimum aperture close or equal to 2.8, and a 50mm lens with 1.8.

I prefer M42 but you can suggest other mounts.

What do you recommend??

I'm searching for something under 25€/~33$ (each)

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norim, welcome to this forum. I am sure you will some great answers soon. Stay tuned. Mike

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a 24-35mm and 50mm Reply with quote

norim_13 wrote:
Hi!

This is my first post in the forum.

I'm looking for a lens in the 24mm to 35mm range, with a minimum aperture close or equal to 2.8, and a 50mm lens with 1.8.

I prefer M42 but you can suggest other mounts.

What do you recommend??

Thanks

Well it would depend on what camera you have as it would be no good giving advice e.g. Canon FD lenses if you can't use them.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers.

The lenses are to be used with adapter on Canon 1000D/XS Wink

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to the forum

your prize wish is very cheap!
it will be difficult to find a 24mm for this money,
for a 28mm you may get lucky with a Vivitar close focus 28mm f2.8
and for a 35mm with a Takumar f3.5/35mm
and for the 50mm a Mamiya or Fujinon, maybe Yashinon ( or f1.8/55 Takumar )

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

What do you think about Helios 28mm f/2.8?

And what about Pentacon 50mm f/1.8 MC Auto?

Thanks again!

PS: How much do you think is the max price of a "Auto Optomax 35mm f/2.8"?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For that money you are best off avoiding the Helios 28mm and Optomax 35mm (they are cheap Japanese re-brands). They will probably perform well enough, but I wouldn't spend more than $5.00 on either.

Rather, I would get a Takumar or a Yashinon.

As for 50/1.8, Pentacon is a lovely lens. Be careful though, there are many many copies out there with a stuck iris. The Takumar 55/1.8 is a better lens, but both can perform well.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking that a Nikon Series E 50/1.8 can be had for pretty cheap. So can one of the old pre-AI 50/2 Nikkors. The 28/3.5 pre-AI Nikkor is pretty common and also often goes for quite cheap.

By the way, I also own a Canon XS (1000D), and I use an adapter for my Nikon lenses. Works great.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

Please give a fair price for each lense we talked about, I don't want to buy a lense for more of what it really costs:

- Pentacon 50mm f/1.8 MC Auto
- Takumar 55mm f/1.8
- Nikon 50mm f/1.8 E

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be able to find a Tamron BBAR 24mm 2,5 for about 50.00 USD. That should fit your budget. The BBAR 24mm is a decent lens and should make you a happy user.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiralcity wrote:
You may be able to find a Tamron BBAR 24mm 2,5 for about 50.00 USD. That should fit your budget. The BBAR 24mm is a decent lens and should make you a happy user.

I won an eBay auction on one recently -- mint condition with box and a Rollei Adaptall-2 mount. Got it for $40US, but I suspect that was only because the seller had placed it in the wrong category. I was the only bidder.

As for the Tamron 24/2.5's performance -- it rivals my Nikkor 24/2.8. Has a bit of flare wide open, but that's gone by f/4. Beyond f/4, it's as good, if not slightly better than the Nikkor 24.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
spiralcity wrote:

I won an eBay auction on one recently -- mint condition with box and a Rollei Adaptall-2 mount. Got it for $40US, but I suspect that was only because the seller had placed it in the wrong category. I was the only bidder.

As for the Tamron 24/2.5's performance -- it rivals my Nikkor 24/2.8. Has a bit of flare wide open, but that's gone by f/4. Beyond f/4, it's as good, if not slightly better than the Nikkor 24.

I picked up a copy for about 50.00 with shipping on the bay, so it can be done. It's just a matter searching for the right seller.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've got a vivitar 35mm/2.8 and spiratone 28mm/2.8 for sale in the marketplace forum, right in your price range ... Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

What you guys say about fish4570's lenses?
Their price accords to their performance?

Thanks

PS:
http://forum.mflenses.com/fs-m42-spiratone-28-2-8-t25160.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/vivitar-m42-135-and-35-for-sale-t25157.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wide angles like a fish eye can give a unique distorted image...more and more these days photographers are having a lot of fun seeing what they can do unique with a fish-eye.

You can also torture a wide lens and distort the image by shooting with the lens pointed down or get way twisted doing a slightly pointed down or up shot with a diagonal twist.

As for your original question about a wide and a 50mm...there are numerous less expensive alternatives such as those recommended above....the recommendation for the Nikkor 35/2 and the 50/2 I heartily endorse,especially if you intend to buy some of the better Nikkors down the road.I've used these Nikkor and other Nikkors for over 30 years with excellent results.

Many Canon DSLR owners as well as other DSLR owners,are particularly enthralled with the manual focus Olympus Zuiko lenses.I started buying some of these Zuikos last year and have been dually impressed with the results for sharpness and saturation that these lenses give.

The Olympus Zuiko slower lenses rather then their fast lenses perform very well on crop sensor cameras.One of the favorites Zuiko lenses is the 28mm f3.5 lens which can be picked up for $20-$35 on ebay ... over at the Alternative Lenses at Fred Miranda,there are long threads singing praises of this lens ....such as the Olympus Zuiko 28/3.5 Love thread.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/815364/0

The Zuiko 50mm in the 1.4 isn't a bargain,but with a little persistance can be found at a reasonable price.The Zuiko 50/1.8 can be found from $20-$35 and a little bonus,the 1.8 is a bit sharper then the 1.4...the lens marked MC have a better multi-coating then the letter marked Zuikos,such as the G. Zuiko...the lens marked MIJ have even better multi-coating...and lens marked Made in Japan have the last generation and best multi-coating.

The lineup of the better for DSLR slower Zuiko lenses can be bought at relatively cheap prices from the Zuiko 300/4.5 down to the 28/3.5....the wider you go beyond the 28/3.5 the prices go up exponentially.

Though for Olympus DSLR owners...some good Zuiko lens for crop sensor DSLR recommendations below....

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/omz.html

and here...

http://www.biofos.com/cornucop/omz_e1.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a 24-35mm and 50mm Reply with quote

norim_13 wrote:

S-M-C Takumar 55/1.8 or 55/2 are probably the best you can get in M42 mount and for the money you're planning to spend. I can't think of good wide angles and f/2.8 in M42 though. If you can settle for a maximum aperture of f/3.5, S-M-C Takumar 28/3.5 is superb: http://www.prime35.com/s-m-c-takumar-28mm-f3-5/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much Boomer Deep and aolep (and all the others Razz)

Between the Zuiko and the Takumar what would you choose? (in each focal: 50mm f/1.8 and 28mm f/3.5)

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

norim_13 wrote:
Between the Zuiko and the Takumar what would you choose? (in each focal: 50mm f/1.8 and 28mm f/3.5)

I don't have the Zuikos, but it will be hard to beat the 55/1.8 Takumar. You're probably going to be fine either way, as these slower 50 and 28mm lenses were almost never lemons. Make sure to get MC (Zuiko) / S-M-C (Takumar) versions though, as the price differential is not much, but the extra contrast comes handy (especially for the 28mm).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I think that for the 50mm range I'll choose the SMC Takumar 55mm, but the f/2 version. It's easier to get a cheap one.

The image quality between f/1.8 vs f/2 is different?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norim_13 wrote:
Thank you very much Boomer Deep and aolep (and all the others Razz)

Thanks

A Zuiko 50/1.8 or 50/1.4 and the Zuiko 28/3.5 all are excellent

or

Nikon 35/2 or 50/2 or both and your choice AI-S Nikkors 24/2.8 or 28/2.8(both spendy) or 28/3.5,all are excellent on Canon APS-C bodies like yours.

or the Takumars recommended,they have a fine reputation...

I haven't forayed into the Takumar world...some day,perhaps next year I will...I have holes to fill in my Olympus,CZJ,Meyer Optik & Vivitar collections first(and I'm always picking up more Nikkors) .Then their are some Russian lens that have piqued my interest that I wish to collect next....after that perhaps a Takumar collection.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you please tell me the value of zuiko 50mm 1.8, takumar 55mm f/1.8 and f/2?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your budget, check out the Ensinor 24mm. I have one in M42 mount but other mounts are available. The same lens is also sold under the brand name Clubman which tends to go for even less.

It's a great lens on a crop DSLR.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
For your budget, check out the Ensinor 24mm. I have one in M42 mount but other mounts are available. The same lens is also sold under the brand name Clubman which tends to go for even less.

It's a great lens on a crop DSLR.

Thanks for the suggestions but I think I'll go for the Zuiko or Takumar.

I saw, some minutes ago, a Zuiko being sold for 22GBP. Is it a fair price? Or it's expensive? The price was 22 GB + ~7GBP for shipping (it was an auction)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either Takumar (f/2 or f/1.8 ) will suit you well. The Takumar 28 f/3.5 is very sharp and a good performer.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
Either Takumar (f/2 or f/1.8 ) will suit you well. The Takumar 28 f/3.5 is very sharp and a good performer.

Thanks.
So if I choose Takumar maybe it will be easier to find a cheap f/2.

Last edited by norim_13 on Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total