Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Obscure Lens compatibility/quality (Angenieux and Sun)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Obscure Lens compatibility/quality (Angenieux and Sun) Reply with quote

I know this may sound like heresy, but does anyone know if Angenieux and Sun lenses would work with on an EOS mount with an adapter? There's one of each at a few thrift stores around me for like 20-30 dollars, and I'm curious.

Also, I'm reading that the Angenieux are going for mad money. Just how good WERE they, if at all? (The one I saw at the thrift store was smallish, silver and had a tiny screw on the side, forget the focal length/if it's manual or auto). Same with Sun.

Incidentally, she also sold me a mint Super Tak 85mm for like 30 bucks. I'm fairly certain she's never googled anything in her store.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell us exactly where the shop is and when it is open. Then we can help you. Cool

Actually I would just go and buy all of them and see afterwards if they are worth it .. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never own an Angenieux because of the price. I don't own Super Tak 85 because I cannot find one. You are luckly. Does the shop still have any Super Tak 85? Smile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angenieux lenses were made in many mounts, most of which can be adapted to Canon, that is if it is an SLR lens, and it does sound like it is. The most common mount for these things is probably Exakta, followed by M42. Some (a few) were made in oddball mounts like Praktina and Alpa that would be difficult to adapt.

As the other responses indicate, at the prices you are talking about, the mount question is academic - and so is the question of quality. You can resell any Angenieux on ebay for much more than the asking price you mentioned.

Sun also made theirs in many mounts, and likewise most of these can be adapted to Canon. Sun is not a target for mad collectors, so resale on these is pretty low generally. $20-30 is a bit steep for most Sun lenses actually.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is in C mount and I don't know what mount it is.
http://www.leboncoin.fr/vi/97567597.htm?ca=17_s

I would add that Angenieux made movie camera lenses, like this one for instance.
http://www.leboncoin.fr/vi/75090293.htm?ca=17_s

Else, this 35-70mm zoom is very good and usually goes for far much on the bay :
http://www.leboncoin.fr/vi/95676771.htm?ca=17_s

Last edited by Olivier on Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I'm going to go in today and pick up the lens, regardless.

Also picked up an old Pentax 50mm 1.4 for 30 bucks while I was there, as well as a Vivitar 28mm 1.9 which, sadly, I swapped because it was all kinds of broken when I got it home. She also has a 35mm and 20mm 3.8 vivitar that I'm interested in, as well as a 40mm 1.8 minolta pancake (that I can't use).

See, this is why randomly wandering through the ghetto on a bike until you hit an old antique store that isn't on google pays off; because if it's on google at least a few camera nuts have probably gone in and taken a look at everything.

I'll post pictures when I buy it; for all I know it's a bolex lens.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Obscure Lens compatibility/quality (Angenieux and Sun) Reply with quote

Papapishu wrote:
I know this may sound like heresy, but does anyone know if Angenieux and Sun lenses would work with on an EOS mount with an adapter? There's one of each at a few thrift stores around me for like 20-30 dollars, and I'm curious.

Also, I'm reading that the Angenieux are going for mad money. Just how good WERE they, if at all?

They are and were one of the few world class video, cine and motion picture lens makers, but mostly into the smaller formats (i.e. TV, video, 8mm, 16mm and CCTV), with relatively few 35mm thrown in. Whether their lenses are good depends on the lens - Angenieux suplied or supply lenses for anything from CCTV cameras over 8mm entry level consumer cameras to some Hollywood gear.

Most oft the time the bargain bin Angenieux will be a 8mm D mount lens, which is useless for just about anything - maybe one in four or five is a CS-mount lens, for CCTV or video, rather pointless as well, as it will not focus to infinity on MFT, and usually is too low in resolution to be worth while. Occasionally you'll run across a C-mount 16mm lens, whose quality may range from mediocre on entry level 50's consumer lenses to excellent on a recent super-16 or HD video motion picture lens - the ones in the bargain bin tend towards the former more than the latter, of course (the more so as their late high end lenses tend to be big zooms which even dumb sellers tend to price higher by sheer weight), but you may find pretty decent primes from the seventies or eighties once in a while.

C-mount lenses may be usable on MFT if their rear barrel is narrow enough to fit a sunk adapter, but the coverage may not fill the MFT sensor - often you'll get corner shadowing and will have to crop the image some more.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:

As the other responses indicate, at the prices you are talking about, the mount question is academic - and so is the question of quality. You can resell any Angenieux on ebay for much more than the asking price you mentioned.

Only if it is a photo lens. Angenieux made a small amount of photo lenses, mostly in Alpa, Exakta or M42 mount, in the fifties, and then again a couple of Zooms in the eighties, in the then most popular SLR mounts. Either are valuable - but neither are likely to be in a bargain bin. The 8mm cine lenses you'll find there are hard to get rid off via ebay, at any price, unless they are unusually fast or wide.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I walked back in, asked to look at the lens.

"This one's fifty bucks".

Barrel reads : "P. Angenieux F28 1 : 3,5 Retrofocus Type R11"

Glass is in good condition. No spotting or fungus, no scratches. Apature works fine. Focusing is a little stiff and there is some mild coating seperation. Even had an old metal canon adapter on the back, so I didn't have to buy one on ebay.

"You got a good deal" she said.

Anything else you can tell me about this glass?

PS. As I was going in, past the old hentai VHS tapes and turbographix games, I saw an old Zenit 5 SLR camera sitting in the window. Worth getting?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You scored !

Exakta Auto-version of the later series Angenieux SLR lenses @ 1959-64

Resale would be quite good. I'd say $300 minimum, probably more.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you can see we ( most of us) have under the name or avatar the location.
WHERE ARE YOU LOCATED for God's sake ?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brooklyn, why wanna try it out? Smile

Also, anyone know what kinda mount it takes? I wanna try this sucker out on my roomates 7d before I pick up my t2i

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Papapishu wrote:
Also, anyone know what kinda mount it takes? I wanna try this sucker out on my roomates 7d before I pick up my t2i

You'll need an Exakta to Eos adapter ring.
In your profile, you can add your location.
So far, what town is it, Brooklyn ?

Very Happy (joking)

Last edited by Olivier on Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Papapishu wrote:

No, i think the right question would have been instead

Which is the address of the store ?

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why you dont have buyed the whole store? Laughing

THIS would the best you could do...

Congrats ... a fine new toy you did find. Buy an EXA to EOS Adapter and enyou the Angenieux.

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hinnerker wrote:
Why you dont have buyed the whole store? Laughing

Because honestly half of the store didn't work. I had to go through 30 lenses before I came up with three gems.

Oh, and if anyone really REALLY wants to search for the store, it's in Bushwick off of two of the main roads near a subway stop. I won't say which, because there would be no fun in that. But if you find a vintage store with a loud puerto rican woman and a lot of weird shit, you've come to the right place.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and thank you everyone. I got my T2i today, and I'm gonna see what this puppy can do.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, what's the cheapest place to get an EXA to EOS? Ebay?