Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta/Rokkor lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Minolta/Rokkor lenses Reply with quote

I'd like to collect a few old Minolta lenses to use on my XG-M (I'm also looking for an XD-7 atm). I bought a lovely 3.5/135 MC Rokkor-QD and it's kind of hooked me into looking for more, particularly wide angles, but there are many different versions and Rokkor Files doesn't seem to give much info on the older lenses. Any particular recommendations in 28, 35 & 50mm or other FLs please? Max f/1.4 is fine and I don't need the program-mode. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peterqd,

If your MC-Rokkor is an earlier one with bright metal aperture ring, I would think it's a better idea to build up a family of lenses from the same period. Assuming that, I would suggest a MC W.Rokkor_SG 28/2.8, MC W.Rokkor-HH 35/1.8 (or the MC W.Rokkor-HG 35/2.8 as a less costly option). All standard lenses are good, so nothing to worry there.

This is a good page for some additional information.

http://minolta.rokkor.de/minoltalenses.htm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Manual Minolta" has the most complete and detailed info on Minolta lenses that I've found. It lists every lens and their variations/evolution over time.

For some reason (maybe because I'm new here?), I can't seem to post the URL, so just google "Minman Minolta" and it should be the first entry.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Minolta lenses Reply with quote

The older all-metal Minolta lenses are all nice optically - they have a "fingerprint" that sets them apart from - say - Canon lenses. Well, on reversal film at any rate! For those old enough to remember the names - They used to be great with Ektachrome but too warm on Agfa CT18.

And they're still relatively cheap, so don't be afraid to buy-and-try. But watch out for greasy or sluggish diaphragms though, and also "knocking" focusing mounts. Most Ebay vendors won't warn you about the latter. The mechanics aren't as good as the optics sometimes.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most recommended lens is MC Rokkor-PG 58/1.2, which is not only
sharp but it has its own character. The next one is MC Rokkor-PG 50/1.4,
very close to 58/1.2 except wide open performance.

Newer MC/MC 50/1.4 is sharper than those older MC lenses except 58/1.2,
but not much of character is there IMHO.

Last edited by koji on Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This article should be of some interest to Minolta users:

http://www.dyxum.com/columns/dPhotoworld/Historical_perspective_Minolta_lens_design_philosophy.asp

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the replies. I'd found the German site, it has lots of information but not exactly what I'm looking for. And Rokkorfiles compares the IQ of a few lenses but not the ones I'm looking at. I thought the Minolman site had disappeared so it was nice to find that, thanks. Looking at the lens charts, there doesn't seem to have been too many changes of the optical designs through the various versions.

Seele, I am indeed looking at the all-metal MC lenses with aluminium aperture rings, at least to start with. Much as I love my Takumars, the build quality of these lenses is perhaps even better. I won't have a chance to compare the IQ until I can shoot a roll of film and get it developed. If they are on the warm side they might be very similar. What a shame they can't be used on DSLRs (4/3 excepted).

I'll look for the 2.8/35 to start with and then maybe the 3.5/28 - I don't want to splash a lot of cash on this. The camera has a 2/50 MD (non-Rokkor) which seems pretty average IQ but I can make do with my M42 lenses till I fill that gap. Thanks Koji, I think I'll probably eventually go for the MC 1.4/50 or 58. The price of the 1.2 is out of my range, and I really don't need that extra aperture.

Last edited by peterqd on Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:00 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the 28/2.8 MD any good? I bought one for my XG-M a few days ago because it was cheap, but I haven't tested it yet..

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have many example shots by those MC/MD lenses, here they are>
http://www.pbase.com/kkawakami/rokkors

MD 28/2.8 is not a bad lens, but I personally prefer older MC 28/2.5.

Those Minolta's 50~58mm lenses have similar characters, probably
the designs are also similar too. But they have a common trait of
having nicer bokeh.

Among MD's, MD 45mm F2 is a nice lens and also very small.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
What a shame they can't be used on DSLRs (4/3 excepted).

Koji, thanks for your link, I'd forgotten you adapted a 350D Embarassed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend the MD 1.4 50mm. Very bright, well built optically perfect. quite affordable on ebay ( 30€ ~ depending on days ) Same goes for the 135/2.8 lens. a gem, in terms of rendition very sharp.

the 58 1.4 is also very common, and recently i had purchased a 200mm f3.5 MC , it was a tank like the seller described it. got it for 40£. sold since cause it was a bit too heavy for me ( all metal ) but is a great lens .

a very useful link if you want to compare lenses , the guy does tests, very interesting stuff. all cameras and history described

www.rokkorfiles.com

i saw the link given above, but hey here it is again .

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relayer wrote:
I have Rokkor-PG 58/1.4 - its not so sharp at wide open but have really nice bokeh. working aperture is 2.8

I have two of these, and one is quite good wide open, while the other is very sharp!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you are interested but I have a very rare MC Rokkor 40-80 f2.8 with an unusual linear/throttle lever style adjustment. I found your post when I was looking for information about it. Apparently it was a very high quality piece of kit. If you are interested feel free to PM me as I'll probably forget to check this thread again.

Last edited by velonoir on Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse me, gentlemen. But I read continuosly about the 1,2/58, 1,4/58 and MC/ MD 1,4/50.

Anybody knows how good (better) are them compared vs. the S-M-C tak 1,4/50?

Thanks in advance

Rino.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! Hopefully we will see you as an active member from now. Don't publish your email , member will find you via personal message. That will landing in your hotmail.

Last edited by Attila on Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome, I'll try and swing by, I like using manual but by necessity I tend to use auto digital lenses as my nikon is DX format so I'm not big into manual at the moment. I'll edit my post if possible to remove my email. If you could remove it from the quote that would be appreciated Smile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

velonoir wrote:
Thanks for the welcome, I'll try and swing by, I like using manual but by necessity I tend to use auto digital lenses as my nikon is DX format so I'm not big into manual at the moment. I'll edit my post if possible to remove my email. If you could remove it from the quote that would be appreciated Smile

I did use successfully manual lenses on my Nikon D50, try them it is great fun and they provide many times better IQ than AF lenses on lot lower prices.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually use everything set to manual anyway and prefer it that way. Will be looking for an ultra wide angle lens sometime fairly soon and the samyang or zenitar are on my list of potentials due to the good price but the cropping issue worries me with the dx format. I don't want to buy one and find that the effect is barely noticeable... anyway, we'll se what happens.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The older MC i have 3 , 100, 200 and 50. All is sharp wide open and very smooth bokeh. Suprisingly 200mm can focus down to ard 1 ~ 1.5m ! Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, today I also bought a 135mm QD lens. Did you try already yours ? How do you like it ?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Thank you all for the replies. I'd found the German site, it has lots of information but not exactly what I'm looking for. And Rokkorfiles compares the IQ of a few lenses but not the ones I'm looking at. I thought the Minolman site had disappeared so it was nice to find that, thanks. Looking at the lens charts, there doesn't seem to have been too many changes of the optical designs through the various versions.

Seele, I am indeed looking at the all-metal MC lenses with aluminium aperture rings, at least to start with. Much as I love my Takumars, the build quality of these lenses is perhaps even better. I won't have a chance to compare the IQ until I can shoot a roll of film and get it developed. If they are on the warm side they might be very similar. What a shame they can't be used on DSLRs (4/3 excepted).

I'll look for the 2.8/35 to start with and then maybe the 3.5/28 - I don't want to splash a lot of cash on this. The camera has a 2/50 MD (non-Rokkor) which seems pretty average IQ but I can make do with my M42 lenses till I fill that gap. Thanks Koji, I think I'll probably eventually go for the MC 1.4/50 or 58. The price of the 1.2 is out of my range, and I really don't need that extra aperture.

I think we are thinking along the same lines lens wise. I started with a Rokkor X 45mm f2 which i really like. I just got a 28mm f2.8, not tested yet.
I don't see the point in getting a 35mm, with the combo I have.

The next lens will be a Rokkor 58mm f1.4.
A f1.2 would be nice but they bring alot more then the f1.4's.

Then I really need to save up because the next lens (hopefully) will be a Rokkor 85mm f1.7. Big money, for me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

towermax wrote:
"Manual Minolta" has the most complete and detailed info on Minolta lenses that I've found. It lists every lens and their variations/evolution over time.

For some reason (maybe because I'm new here?), I can't seem to post the URL, so just google "Minman Minolta" and it should be the first entry.

I tried to google the Minman site. He shut the site down, it no longer exists.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry in advance to add temptation -

A couple of my favorites side by side Smile Other than the 58 & 50/1.2, I haven't tried any other Minos though.

K.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
Excuse me, gentlemen. But I read continuosly about the 1,2/58, 1,4/58 and MC/ MD 1,4/50.

Anybody knows how good (better) are them compared vs. the S-M-C tak 1,4/50?

Thanks in advance

Rino.

I have the Rokkor MC 50/1.4 and the SMC Tak 50/1.4, I plan on doing a test with them very soon.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the best lenses on the Rokkor lineup are the MC 24/2.8 (the Leica 24/2.8 is the SAME lens) and the 28/2

I have the MD 24/2.8 that some say it's a little inferior to the MC Leica version, I just can't imagine a lens better than that...