Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My family of symmetrical lenses (designed in 1860)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: My family of symmetrical lenses (designed in 1860) Reply with quote

Hello:

I present to them my family of symmetrical (rectilignes in French), they were designed in 1860 and they were the best lenses up to the arrival of the anastigmatics at the end of the XIXth century.

The symmetrical ones equipped the cameras of high quality during decades. The smallest (the first line to the left side) is a French, the others are British Beck (there is two) or possibly British.

Bests Regards. David.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's some beautiful brass&glass

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb collection of timeless glass. I'd love to see them in action on modern cameras!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful collection !

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautiful collection!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful lenses!! I have a 7" TTH Rectilinear, which still today works pretty well on a DSLR!
http://forum.mflenses.com/taylor-7-rapid-rectilinear-lens-on-a-dslr-t22838,highlight,rectilinear.html

Last edited by kds315* on Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:07 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a collection!

How do you mount them on modern camera?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as usual: have an adaptor machined....since the threads are pretty exotic usually.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello:

My DSLR is a Pentax K 200 D, I use an adapter to M 42, a bellows of the ancient USSR and caps thread male M 42 perforated ones to the diameter of the thread of the vintage lens. Many vintage lens proceeding from foldings take the nut: this facilitates very much the adaptation, since it is not necessary to do a thread in cap.

In case of the symmetrical ones or rectilineals that they see in the photo, that of shorter focal length, is of approximately 70 mm - the small lens made in France-, those of longer focal length, they overcome 300 mm: it is always necessary to use a bellows.

Bests Regards: David

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a beautiful collection

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello:

I show them a photo taken with the symmetrical one or rectilineal of a farmhouse in ruins placed to approximately 1000 m (aprox. 1100 yards). The photo was taken without tripod and with the lens supported with a hand in the bellows.

You see that in spite of the difficulties, the lens gives a good image, not differently from the one that a today lens would give in this case.

Bests Regards: David.