Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New Sony EVF camera + Zeiss lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: New Sony EVF camera + Zeiss lenses? Reply with quote

Quote:
There will not be a digital rangefinder from Zeiss. However, a Sony EVIL(Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens)with Zeiss licensed lenses will surface around the Q2 of 2010. Your source was wrong!

http://www.zeissrumors.com/2010/01/no-zeiss-drf-but-sony-evil-instead.html

Sony lenses with Zeiss sticker, or real Zeiss designs? Smile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be awesome if it came with a 1.5x crop Shocked

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/21/sony-alpha-ultra-compact-concept-hands-off-leaves-much-to-the-i/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Shrek"]Would be awesome if it came with a 1.5x crop Shocked
[quote]

I think it would be even more awesome with a 1.0x crop! Wink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, 2x body + 1.6x body + 1.0x body would be totally sweet!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

truly ugly design; sorry to be so vapid, but honestly, it looks like a blue brick! 2 years after the G1 and that's what they come up with aesthetically? wow!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
truly ugly design; sorry to be so vapid, but honestly, it looks like a blue brick! 2 years after the G1 and that's what they come up with aesthetically? wow!

Those are mock-ups, not final designs or actual products. Of course, that's not to say that the actual products, when released, are necessarily much better, but it's too early to judge the final appearance by the concepts (not products) announced at PMA.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

true, but since this was an 'unveiling' of sorts, you would think the marketing wizards would want to whet our appetite visually. i find it hard to believe, though possible, that they would come out with an incredibly ugly 'mock up' knowing the 'real' version is something quite sexy--doesnt make much sense to me, but who knows?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I remembered, the Olympus's prototype looks rather different from the actual offering, so hopefully this will be different looking when it comes out.

I hope that their mount is compatible with M lens unlike the Samsung offering, this factor alone kill the Samsung NX10 for me... Sad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
i find it hard to believe, though possible, that they would come out with an incredibly ugly 'mock up' knowing the 'real' version is something quite sexy--doesnt make much sense to me, but who knows?

I think the problem is that they don't have a real version yet and they just needed to show that they are getting on board this EVF craze; the actual cameras will probably be in stores around Christmas or early next year. But that's just my speculation.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aleksanderpolo wrote:
I hope that their mount is compatible with M lens unlike the Samsung offering, this factor alone kill the Samsung NX10 for me... Sad

+1: that's definitely the biggest problem/totally confusing part of the samsung: creating yet another proprietary mount in the face of the huge attraction of the versatility of the m4/3 mount--just unbelievably stupid IMHO.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty typical Sony stuff, prop. mount, prop. memory cards, root kits, no support for past products. Sony basically sucks.

They make really innovative products then abandon them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lulalake wrote:
It's pretty typical Sony stuff, prop. mount,.

To be fair on this particular point, the 4/3 mount is the only non-proprietary* DSLR mount in use, and at least the Sony Alpha mount is compatible with Minolta AF. I'm personally also impressed by their decision to support the Minolta flash shoe instead of the inferior ISO shoe used in previous Sony products. (Although here one can blame Minolta for making the flash protocol proprietary, but even the ISO shoe is not really standard between manufacturers other than for the (poor) physical qualities and basic sync.)

* Even the 4/3 mount specifications are not publicly available to just anyone, but presumably any serious company (by whatever proprietary definition) can sign an NDA and get them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lulalake wrote:
It's pretty typical Sony stuff, prop. mount, prop. memory cards, root kits, no support for past products. Sony basically sucks.

They make really innovative products then abandon them.

I didn't see anything in the article about memory cards. Alphas have two slots for CF and memory stick or SD/memory stick, depending on model. Can use either or both, though I suspect in a body this size, just SD is more likely.

K.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm being completely fair and am basing what I say on personal and historical events.

How many hardware, firmware, and software upgrades and glitch fixes has Canon, Nikon, Olympus etc had in the last 10 years? MANY! in the hundreds. How many hardware, firmware, and software upgrades and glitch fixes has Sony produced (Company wide) in the last 10 years?
I can think of ONE. That was for the F717 sensors. F828 None, Any for the alpha class Dslr's I don't know but I think very few. (If you want to do a counting contest then start counting)

How about imbedded root kits? Does Nikon or Panasonic or any other major Mfg imbed them?

Every camera Sony has made they have abandoned as far as upgrades and fixes except the F717 and tyhat was only because of threatened legal action.

I repeat, They make GREAT INNOVATIONS, then they abandon the cameras and produce other cameras rather than supporting their products.
I used to be solidly behind them but over the years I saw (and became one of) the people who left Sony by once they realized that Sony made great products but if there were problems just said "Too bad, buy another newer one".

Their business model is one of take the money and run.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Their business model is one of take the money and run

And filth the planet.

There are more discarded Sony consumer electronics than any other. Jules gives us a very clear example of why that is so.
If consumers don't vote with their wallets. They are becoming part of this problem.
Big Corporations like Sony only speak the language of profit. To them Profit is the same as Prophet.

Zero Ethics!!
Zero!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can I have a few questions?

1. What is good on a tiny camera with interchangeable lenses? Why is the pocket size of the camera so important, when the lens makes it 5-times thicker, so it doesn't fit the pocket anyway?

It must be awesome to yuse the big lens on small grip-less body...

2. What is the sense of using retrofocal prime lenses on mirror-less cameras? Retrofocal lenses were designed to allow wide-angles on SLR cameras, where the space near film cannot be used by lens because of the mirror. Retrofocal primes (compared to classical wide-angle primes) are bigger, heavier, more prone to CA and more prone to distorsions.

Manufacturers knows it, but don't care. It would be needed to do some investmens to sensor development (better sensor microlenses) firstly, like Kodak+Leica did. That costs money, so it's easier to produce worse and bigger lenses instead - customers will buy it, they are amazed enough by compact mirror-less bodies, they don't need anything better...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-x
i understand what youre getting at, but not everyone uses m4/3 cameras with big lenses. the big sell for them is their size AND versatility: they take cine lenses, slr lenses, rangefinder lenses--if its a lens it'll probably fit on an m4/3! that is pretty powerful.

for street photography they are like the old rangefinders in that they are inconspicuous. to be honest, i just the other day debated taking my 5d/planar 50/1.4 to a relative's birthday party, but opted for ep1 and wollensak c mount 25/1.9 instead, just because i didnt feel like dealing with a rig literally twice as big and heavy. i got some great shots!

also, i must say, i really dont understand why we complain about companies existing purely for profit--when will we learn that's why companies exist-to make profit!! they have always and will always exist only to make money; in doing so they have always and will always cut corners or do whatever they want/need to increase profit. it is the job of consumers and regulators to steer companies where society wants them to be. if consumers are smart enough to demand product support, and that demand is great enough to threaten company profits, viola! more responsive companies! if as voters we demand our regulators oversee the 'greening' of our corporations, viola again! greener companies. but we need to stop expecting companies to do anything beyond what they were created to do--create wealth, period. maybe then we can steer our own enthusiasm in a more productive way.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
can I have a few questions?

1. What is good on a tiny camera with interchangeable lenses? Why is the pocket size of the camera so important, when the lens makes it 5-times thicker, so it doesn't fit the pocket anyway?

Fed, Leica, many rangefinder cameras.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-x wrote:

Because you can make the most compact tilt lens setup in the world and/or make a tilt lens setup with the shallowest DoF, or biggest tilt angle possible, other than with view cameras:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rawhead/4314531498/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rawhead/4320001841/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rawhead/4410170622/

But that might just be me Very Happy

Last edited by rawhead on Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:42 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lulalake wrote:
Fed, Leica, many rangefinder cameras.

fed and leica cameras aren't tiny... I'm speaking about this: