Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Need Recommandation
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:48 am    Post subject: Need Recommandation Reply with quote

I need a SLR which is :

1) Very small and light, for everyday use.
2) Some kind of light measuring is a must, selenimum or battery no problem but it should work fine.
3) Lens can be fixed or changeable, no problem.
4) Aperture must be manually controlled. Shutter speed can be automatic like AV mode on digital cams.
5) Better be cheap
6) Good IQ
7) Did I say it should be light and small?

What would you recommend?

Thanks...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contax 167MT (on the way)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'll start the ball rolling and would suggest an Olympus OM20...it's not my favourite camera but seems to fit the specs that you have posted.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I need a SLR which is :
1) Very small and light, for everyday use.

When size matters I take my Olympus Pen Ft. It is a crop camera since you get 18x24mm negs. If you want really big photos this might not be the way to go but for average picture sizes I can't complain.

Another plus are the lens sizes since the half frame lenses are much smaller than there full frame counterpart.

Quote:
2) Some kind of light measuring is a must, selenimum or battery no problem but it should work fine.

The Ft has a light meter which works with 1,35V batteries. I am using zinc-air hearing aid batteries and it is fine - even for slides.

Quote:
3) Lens can be fixed or changeable, no problem.

Lenses are interchangeable and ranging from 20mm to 800mm (but I haven't seen any of the long lenses around).
Standard lens is 1.8/38mm.

Quote:
4) Aperture must be manually controlled. Shutter speed can be automatic like AV mode on digital cams.

Everything is manual - no Av mode

Quote:
5) Better be cheap
6) Good IQ
7) Did I say it should be light and small?

No they are not cheap. I paid for my set of Pen Ft with 1.8/38mm, 2/70mm and 3.5/100mm about 250EUR which was a really good price back than. I don`t know the prices at the moment.

If you want to stay cheap and small with a fixed lens than take rangefinder into consideration. Something like Olympus 35RC - they are really small and can be had for a small amount of money.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yashica FX-3 small and light very solid and well built cds meter but works also with no batteries if needed all manual operation takes c/y mount lenses and m42 with a cheap adapter Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentax ME Super fits the bill. Someone somewhere said it was one of the smallest SLRs ever made. It has the full set of features and you can probably get one for $40 or $50 with the standard lens.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konica FC-1,FT-1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu : I am asking this for a friend. I have not received the 167MT yet, so I do not know if I can suggest that to him.

Poolhall : Does the same adaptor work for Contax cams? I did not know there was such an adaptor M42 to C/Y.

I forgot to mention but rangefinders are also an option, does that change a lot in the suggestions?

By the way thanks for all the suggestions, I will check them all.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulC wrote:
Pentax ME Super fits the bill. Someone somewhere said it was one of the smallest SLRs ever made. It has the full set of features and you can probably get one for $40 or $50 with the standard lens.

Combine the ME Super with the 40mm pancake lens, and you have a very small combo.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IANUS : Pen FT is cool but expensive as you mentioned. Olympus 35RC is really interesting, I am checking that out now...

Any suggestions for rangefinders?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olympus XA?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeyore_nl wrote:
PaulC wrote:

Combine the ME Super with the 40mm pancake lens, and you have a very small combo.

+1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since in #3 you mention the lens can be fixed, I'd recommend you consider the Olympus XA, even though it isn't an SLR. It meets all your other requirements. I have one. It's an outstanding shirt-pocketable picture-taker.

But if you want a compact SLR, yeah I'd be pointing toward an ME Super as well. An ME would meet your requirements, but it would be nice to have metered manual. That or one of the Olympus OMs. True, an OM-10 or OM-20 can be picked up for cheap, but the OM-2/2n would be a better choice, I believe.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikon FG... Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went back and checked my shelf to make sure I recommended the smallest most versatile camera I own. I noticed that my Pentax ME is slightly smaller than my FG, but just ever so slightly. The two cameras are almost the exaxct in size.

You can find a set-up like this for under 100.00 USD on the bay.

Here's a few pics:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiralcity : That seems a great combo, thanks for the advice.

For now I am hunting Konica FC-1 (Attila'a advice) as I have many M42 lenses to go with it (receving the adapter to use M42 on Konica).

About a very light camera, I believe a rangefinder like RC35 will suit my needs, and that will be the next camera on my list. I will look for a bargain Nikon combo as well...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

***For now I am hunting Konica FC-1***

The FT-1 is supposed to be more reliable in the electronics/electrical bits.

http://www.buhla.de/Foto/Konica/eFT-1Haupt.html

Buy the lens and get the FT-1 free erm
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KONICA-HEXANON-AR-50mm-F1-8-LENS-CAMERA-BODY-FT-1-FREE_W0QQitemZ170445137112QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraLensesFilters_JN?hash=item27af5264d8

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pentax M range are the smallest and lightest SLRs I know of, so if this is the main priority I'd also go along with the ME Super. However metering faults are becoming very common and the K mount lenses are becoming expensive now because they mount directly on Pentax DSLRs.

As an alternative I'd like to suggest a Minolta XD-7/XD-11. I was surprised how small it is, only a wee bit larger than the ME Super. Minolta lenses are very good quality and inexpensive compared to Pentax and M42 lenses mount easily too. Some relative weights (without lens):
ME Super 455g
XD-7 580g
Spotmatic 644g
Pentax K2 722g

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur : I was late on that, it is already gone... I will check out on FT-1 also

peterqd : Thanks for the comparison in weight, how do these cameras compare to rangefinder cameras like RC35 in weight?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tharos wrote:
peterqd : Thanks for the comparison in weight, how do these cameras compare to rangefinder cameras like RC35 in weight?

I don't know for certain, I just weighed the cameras I have here. Web sources indicate around 420g, I assume this includes the lens.

I thought you asked about SLRs. If you're happy with a rangefinder, the Olympus XA is a lot lighter - only 225g - and it uses current batteries.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympus_XA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also thinking rangefinders but Olympus XA is one bad looking camera to my eyes Smile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, you want it to be pretty as well??? Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tharos wrote:
I am also thinking rangefinders but Olympus XA is one bad looking camera to my eyes Smile

The XA is actually a very practical and easy camera to use. Not to mention the fact that it takes great pics. But if one is into a more traditional looking but still reasonably priced rangefinder, then my vote is for the Canonet QL17 GIII.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd : Yeah I guess I am picky Smile

cooltouch : Canonet QL17 GIII seems to be good suggestion. How does it compare to RC35?