Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What are my options for getting to 1:1 with Tamron 90mm 52B?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:50 am    Post subject: What are my options for getting to 1:1 with Tamron 90mm 52B? Reply with quote

I was offered a MF Tamron SP 90mm f2.5 (model 52B) today at a price I couldn't refuse (PK Adaptall mount). However, I'm a bit bewildered by the Tamron teleconverters that will or won't work with this lens to get to 1:1. (it is 1:2 without some help). I'm a newbie to extension tubes also, and I understand that I can get to 1:1 or greater with extension tubes without paying as much of a penalty on light as with the optical teleconverters.

Can anyone explain my options? Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.adaptall-2.com/lenses/52B.html

http://www.adaptall-2.com/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one for my Canon 40D and I just use Canon ext tubes with it (45mm will get you 1:1). I don't like using teleconverters as they degrade the image.

A set of bellows would be a good investment if you like macro.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on what Martin says.

I have both the dedicated extension tube and the teleconverter for my 52bb. They each have their benefits and limitations:

- the tube doesn't degrade the image and works well. The downsides are: of course you give up range of focus on the far end, the tube is 'hard coded' for a f/2.5 lens (so not so easy to use it on other tamrons), and it is adaptall only (rather than camera mount specific, so you could use it on any lens).

- the converter gives you a longer focal length and retains infinity focus. I find you do have to stop down to get decent performance (otherwise there's a lot of ca etc). The converter doesn't have max aperture hard coded, so it's usable with all adaptalls.

So depending on what you want to do, either will be of use. Unless you're eager to get to 1:1 immediately, I'd counsel keeping an eye out and waiting, as sooner or later these bits are available much cheaper than usual.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Achromatic diopter. Relatively cheap, very good IQ and no light loss.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Achromatic diopter. Relatively cheap, very good IQ and no light loss.

I am confused by "no light loss."

I use the dedicated extension tube with this lens for 1:1; any 45mm extension tube that fits between body & lens will work.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a lens that screws into the filter threads of your lens...Also called close up lenses...Make sure you get the "dual Diopter" variety as they are pretty good quality...Most of the sets of the +1, +2 +4 that you see on eBay are only single diopter and are not very good...Canon's are called the 250D & the 500D (different magnifications)...Nikon used to make some, they were the 3T & 4T in 52mm & the same magnifications were available in 62mm as the 5T & the 6T..Olympus made one as well, I belive it was the MCON-35 IIRC.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

EDIT: Oh, I'll bet you are talking about THIS dedicated extension tube:
http://www.techtheman.com/2009/03/tamron-sp-90mm-f25-12-macro-adaptall-2.html

(This is why I'm confused on the various options out there.) If this does nothing more than a regular 45mm of extension tube, then I don't know why I would worry about finding the official Tamron one.)

Yes, that's the one I was talking about also. This tube goes between the lens and the Adaptall-2 adapter - so the benefit is this: if you have a few camera systems and adaptalls for them, you use one tube across all of them, with full adaptall-2 functionality.

Last edited by cheekygeek on Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re: achromatic diopters
Screamin Scott wrote:
This is a lens that screws into the filter threads of your lens...Also called close up lenses...

ARE they the same thing?
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/122/856592

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, technically they are the same.However, the dual diopters are better corrected. They are two elements cemented together.The single diopter are just a single element & suffer from more CA & distortion, especially in the corners

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be light loss with an extension tube. The upside is they have no glass in like teleconverters so they provide better IQ, but as pointed out you lose infinity focus.

I have a set of the cheap closeup filters and theyaren't bad for playing around with. The good quailty ones should be pretty decent and easier to carry instead of the 2x or ext tubes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
There will be light loss with an extension tube. The upside is they have no glass in like teleconverters so they provide better IQ, but as pointed out you lose infinity focus.

I have a set of the cheap closeup filters and theyaren't bad for playing around with. The good quailty ones should be pretty decent and easier to carry instead of the 2x or ext tubes.

I recommend the teleconverter. You still have the infinity focus and it gives really nice results with the lens..

Some non-scientific tests:
http://forum.mflenses.com/tamron-sp90-2-5-with-01f-teleconverter-t15350.html

By F4 it is almost as sharp as SP180/2.5.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for all the info & opinions so far!

Follow-up question: I've never owned an Adaptall/Adaptall-2 lens before. The lens I'm getting is coming with the PK mount. Now if I buy an adaptall-capable teleconverter... tell me if this is correct: Remove the PK adaptall mount from the lens, attach the teleconverter, and put the adaptall mount on the backend of the teleconverter.

Is that right? Or does it need two adaptall mounts: the one on the lens and the one on the teleconverter???

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/158/415470981_b8596b78b2_o.jpg

adaptall-2 instructions. Yes, you put the tc or tube between lens and adaptall, so you only need one adapter.