Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

recommend a tessar formula m42 normal lens, please ...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: recommend a tessar formula m42 normal lens, please ... Reply with quote

... for my spotmatic. any that do not cost arm AND leg?

my super takumar 55/2 does not have the tessar touch, even wide open. too contrasty, methinks:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tessar is not a low contrast lens per se.
It depends on the coating.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For cheap+quality get one from the 1950s , CZJ 2.8/50 or CZJ 3.5/50 .
Since you don't what them to bee too contrasty try to avoid the red T ones ...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alu T-tessars aren't much contrasty...

Anyway, tessars formula was developed as high-contrasty sharp lens. It has only 4 inner air/glass surfaces, so multi-coated tessars are the most contrasty lenses lenses ever made. I like S-M-C Macro Takumar 50/4 - tessar formula + MC.

But if you need something with not so high contrast, try alu tessars 50/2.8 or meyer primotars. They are not expensive and not too contrasty. Even "better" would be uncoated pre-war tessars.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, so i am not asking the proper question. if not tessar formula, what? i am looking for a normal "portrait" lens? how about my helios 44-2 wide open?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nox put it right, Meyer lenses are usually low-medium contrast, good quality, and relatively affordable (although recently some of them raised a lot in price).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For lower contrast, I go to my older lenses. The E.Ludwig Meritar triplet is good for that, but may not be pleasing wide open.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570: here's an example taken by my pre-war uncoated Tessar 135/4.5 (the same RAW, 4 different options)...

if you search for fast 50mm lens with not so high contrast, you could be happy with Meyer Primoplan 58/1.9

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice, no-x ...