Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Autumn Dawn
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Autumn Dawn Reply with quote

I took these pictures today early morning.
I had with me the following lenses: Zenitar 2.8/16, Planar 2/100, MC Jupiter-9, MIR-1 and MC MIR-24M.

I will submit of course some of these to the Autumn contest but before I present the series, It was a quick session so no special works, just a handful of snapshots.
You will find the lens indication below the picture.
Only remark I want to make: the colours in the MC MIR-24M's vine photos are absolutely UNRETOUCHED, what you see is what came out of the lens.

http://www.orio.ws/temp/autumndawn/autumndawn/album/index.html

Last edited by Orio on Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea why the link is not active!
Attila any guess?
Anyway you can copy it and paste on browser, it will work.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.orio.ws/temp/alba-autunno/Alba_d'autunno.html

apostrophe in file name cause the problem, pls remove ' from file name and fix link here it will works. Nice set!

EDIT: (Orio's note): LINK FIXED

Last edited by Attila on Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:01 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
http://www.orio.ws/temp/alba-autunno/Alba_d'autunno.html

apostrophe in file name cause the problem.

AH, I see... well, I can not correct 47 pages Sad
Please copy-paste if interested.

EDIT: LINK FIXED

Last edited by Orio on Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff...
Small plant (4) is my favourite...
Really beautiful.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.. no more words... the series is one of your best...

One thing, have you ever thought of entering cine industry as cinematographer.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!
I admit, although I shot quite in a hurry (at least compared to my usual habit), I'm happy too with this series.

I think that Dawn (#34) is one of the best photos I ever took, I only regret not having had an assistant with a golden panel to fill up the grass blades in the foreground.

The MIR-24M is an amazing lens, it gets close to the results of my Distagon 1.4/35 for plasticity, look at the 3D effect in pic#38, the reduced size does not give it justice, and the f/4 shot which I did not include was even more 3D. And it renders colours even better than the Distagon.
No, wait: it renders colours better than any lens I know. And the Nikkor mount version (different manufacturer) gives the same colours. Try to get the colours of photos 42-46 with any Canon EF lens of your choice without boosting up the saturation knob Twisted Evil (and without loosing a mass of detail in the process).

The MIR-1 aluminium lens, almost as old as me, turned out to be an incredibly sharp lens. Look at the photo of my bag(#25): if you don't guess the sharpness from there, I will post a 100% crop to make you a believer.
And I think there's something to be said about the bokeh in #27-28
Michael was right when he said that this lens can be very sharp too.

And speaking of bokeh, what about the one in pic#22? I normally dislike the J-9 bokeh but this time, in some parts, it looks like a Franz Marc painting. Amazing (and totally casual result, I must admit).

Oh, did I mention that I love to photograph at dawn?
And this time I was also late, I usually leave home when it's still dark and wait for sunrise already on location.

Quote:
have you ever thought of entering cine industry as cinematographer.

Not often, just 1.849.259.664 times. Razz
(but I wouldn't mind being a director either! Wink )

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely speechless over that series Orio. I too love dawn and you show exactly why we should love the light at that time of the day. I am just about to embark on a journey into Russo-European lenses and these make me quite eager to try some out.

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree, great series, the dawn shots are superb, but also liked other
shots in the portfolio. Wink

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great portfolio I liked all of them
You have at least 2 great qualities
You wake up before sun and you are a master of photoshop
If I had those photos I would have destroy them with autolevel and lost all the great atmosphere
I prefer #17. At first I thought it need boost of black level. After a while I understand it's you way that work.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and congratulations for the photos.

I like the all but mostly those which shows the early autumn's colour and the landscapes of course.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

Quote:
You have at least 2 great qualities
You wake up before sun and you are a master of photoshop

Very Happy I love to wake up early. My problem is that I work with a boss that lives in Los Angeles, so often I have to work late. Rolling Eyes
As for Photoshop, if you saw me, you would be surprised of how little I use it.
In the case of these dawn/sunset pictures, I do this very simple thing:

1- I develop the raw twice, one for the sky the other for the ground (just a little brighter).

2- I rack the sky image as a layer on top of the ground image

3- with the Eraser tool and a soft edge brush, I erase the ground from the top picture, revealing the lower layer. When I get close to the sky-ground edge, I lower the percentage of the Eraser, to ensure a smooth fade.

That's all. And that's also the most work I do with Photoshop. Most of the time, I use it only to place my copyright on the images.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried a different design (not made by me), please let me know if you like it better or worse:

http://www.orio.ws/temp/autumndawn/autumndawn/album/index.html

_

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio,
It looks absolutely splendid! JAlbum was discussed at APF last year,
great setup. I also like SimpleViewer, which I've been dabbling with
recently. BTW, what an idyllic rural setting you live in!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice set Orio I love those Planar 2/100 and Mir 1 shot of the tree. For the display of the web page I like the interface of the second one better bur maybe a more neutra gray backround the black seems to drop the brightnedd on all the shots. I like to have whole set to view in thumbnail on one page too rather than scrolling through the large pictures

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent series, Orio, with some exceptional shots!
The colours are wonderful.
(And I like the second site design better...)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chameleon template is a wonderful framework for your images. And I like the black background. By the way - I'm very impressed about them. Thank's for sharing this, Orio!

Michael

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys. You feedback is important for me.