Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Should I be happy?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Should I be happy? Reply with quote

Today got for free at second hand market (Rijnhal Arnhem, Spotmatic knows).
They are expired (2002 oldest)
Should I go for camera or not??

semso

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) You should be happy Smile they should still be OK, the films, and such a wonderful bunch too
2) the free films will cost you a mint developing, so not so cheap Sad

Put most of them up on ebay for the lomo folks, and keep some for yourself

congratulations!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I be happy? Reply with quote

semso wrote:
Today got for free at second hand market (Rijnhal Arnhem, Spotmatic knows).
They are expired (2002 oldest)
Should I go for camera or not??

Nice catch!

I have a camera for you, a Praktica. It should be working fine, and be lightproof. If you can pick it up in Utrecht, you may have it for a bottle of Belgian beer Smile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should definitely be, Semso. They look stored properly, judging from packaging condition. In addition to the generous offer from Eeyore_nl you may want to look for a cheap medium format camera since most of the film is 120. A Yashica Mat or an old MF rangefinder should be a good starting point.

Cheers, Marty.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marty wrote:
You should definitely be, Semso. They look stored properly, judging from packaging condition. In addition to the generous offer from Eeyore_nl you may want to look for a cheap medium format camera since most of the film is 120. A Yashica Mat or an old MF rangefinder should be a good starting point.

Oops, I didn't check the film type .... anyway, the offer still stands Smile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe you can left some for forum members for shipping price? Very Happy
joking. looks nice catch. lot of film stock. be happy definitely =)

eeyore_nl wrote:
marty wrote:

Oops, I didn't check the film type .... anyway, the offer still stands Smile

and there are some 135 films if I'm not blind

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty wrote:
You should definitely be, Semso. They look stored properly, judging from packaging condition...

The man who gave it to me sad he is porfessional photograph.
Only condition was that things goes to one who loves photography.

regards semso

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

semso wrote:

The man who gave it to me sad he is porfessional photograph.
Only condition was that things goes to one who loves photography.

regards semso

...my statement is that I love photography more that can somebody loves women... and my addiction is really serious. I can prove it. Be sure.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could send you a Yashica FR + Motor for trade with some boxs of film.

What do you think?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry Lazzaros,
My "Should I go for camera or not?" means should I find or buy medium format camera?
I have a lot of 35mm camera's,

regards semso

p.s. mine fridge is full with films now (just a problem)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welp, to me, it's a no brainer. If the film has been properly stored, it should still be okay.

I can highly recommend either of the two medium format cameras I've bought just recently:

Yashica Mat 124 -- outstandingly sharp Yashinon lens, takes 120 and 220, 6x6 negative.

Bronica ETRSi -- nice modular system with great optics, can be had for quite cheap nowadays, 6x4.5 negative.

I paid about $100US for my Yashica Mat, and $132US for my ETRSi outfit (body, prism finder, 75/2.8, 120 and 220 backs) -- both eBay auctions.

The Mamiya RB67 can often be acquired for cheap, too. And it has that great big 6x7 negative.

There are other great deals in medium format to be found, but it depends largely on your budget as to which others to recommend.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
oh my god!!!! real candy store!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Michael,
I think also about Yashica mat 124 or Rolleiflex (if I will again lucky)
Just to taste MEDIUM FORMAT

regards semso

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for yashicamat.
Runa roll off of each. If the colors are a mess you can still shoot them to convert to B+W, cross process, or develop them in B+W chemistry.

I see $1000 dollars worth of developing in that pile plus scanning time.
Better get rid of some quick before it becomes any more expired Laughing

175 rolls x $6 per roll= $1050 in developing cost. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it seems that I have a problem:
no MF camera to make photos
about 175 films expired (in fridge)
little sweet problem

semso

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah the Rijnhal. I have been there often but did not find much with regards to photography. You got extremely lucky I think!

It should not be too hard to find a decent folder to try those 120 format roll films in. The Yashica-Mat is a good one too.

Have fun! If your first rolls look nice and you want to get rid of a few of them, then please drop me a PM Smile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallo Peter,
I will try to find camera and test film soon.
If I succeed before Houten beurs I´ll take films with me.

regards semso

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to get one or 2 packs of that Velvia rolls hehe.

If you could sell can send me a PM.

Regards,
Ivo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great catch!

Yes, the Velvia is the original RVP (50) Wink

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

175 rolls is too much , keep about 30-40 maximum and sell rest of it here. You will get enough found to develop 30-40 rolls and finally your film challenge will be free.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, you should sell about 100 rolls for $2.5 each, get $250 and buy yourself a Jobo processor (maybe you'll need to add a few bucks).

But then you will make up for those $250 (including chemical costs) just by self-developing the remaining 75 rolls:

$6 per roll * 75 = $450

cost per roll using Kodak E-6 5L kit = $3 (that's if you don't reuse the chems, and if you strictly develop one 120 roll per development. You can dev 2 rolls of 120 at a time, which will bring down the cost to $1.50/roll) * 75 = $225

Delta = $225 Smile

Oh, and after your 2nd or 3rd roll, the quality will be just as good as professionally processed film:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=88929764%40N00&q=%22self+develop%22&m=text

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
175 rolls is too much , keep about 30-40 maximum and sell rest of it here. You will get enough found to develop 30-40 rolls and finally your film challenge will be free.

Atilla, I have about 250 rolls at the moment and I do not consider it to be too much. I just keep most of them in refrigerator (below -18 degrees C) and they are just fine, even if they are heavily outdated.
But I shoot on film only.