Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rainbow Nameplate Jupiter 8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Rainbow Nameplate Jupiter 8 Reply with quote

No I didn't color it myself, that was combined effort of my Kodak and Sigma 50/2.8 AF Macro (which is otherwise very very good lens).

Does someone know what the proper name of this phenomenon is?
(Ok - "Kodak" is not the right answer Smile )

EDIT: I changed the title, don't want anyone to get offended .. this started as joke but came to be a good thread anyways. This is why I like this forum.

Last edited by kansalliskala on Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's lateral chromatic aberration, seen around high-contrast transitions.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is in the center of the picture .. Confused

Is this the same phenomenon? I saw once the name of it but can't find it again:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is the same. A good read about the subject: http://toothwalker.org/optics/chromatic.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic: In this situation I can't agree fully. Maybe there is some chromatic aberration, but 90% of this "effect" is created by the Kodak body.

Let me explain:

Kodak (and almost all digital cameras) use bayer sensor, which captures only one color channel per pixel (red or blue or green). If the sensor captures per-pixel details and esp. details in black&white, problem is on the way. Originally color-neutral (BW) data is captured as chromatic data (as red, or blue, or green).

Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus, Sony, Panasonic... use optical "correction" - so called low pass filter, which is placed in front of the bayer sensor (the low-pass filter blurs per-pixel data to prevent capturing of per-pixel details, which would change into color mess - in camera processor then applies some sharpening to make the image look sharp).

Leica doesn't use low-pass filter - they use special software processing to avoid this problem.

Kodak doesn't use low-pass filter, but (at least their older camera models) don't use any software correction.

Here is 1:1 example of this Kodak phenomenon on black/white situation:

Some time ago I posted here this simulated example:

Example of bayer-based camera system without low-pass filter:

A: real image
B: image taken by bayer sensor (what can the camera "see")
C: image processed (debayering) by the camera - quite sharp, but color artifacts are present

Example of bayer-based camera system with low-pass filter:

A: real image
B: what does the low-pass filter do (fine details are removed as prevention of artifacting)
C: image taken by bayer sensor (what can the camera "see")
D: image processed by the camera (debayering)
E: final processing (sharpening)

image lost some detail, but artifacts aren't there

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you No-X, this is actually very good news for me!

Now I just need to hack some software .. Smile
It is way easier than hacking the sensor.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:

Some time ago I posted here this simulated example:

Here is an example how it looks in real world.
"Hello world!" is Gimp's 1 pixel pen.

100% crop

800% crop

call it pixel-peeping if you like Smile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work, no-X! Thanks for explaining it so thoroughly.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Thank you No-X, this is actually very good news for me!

Now I just need to hack some software .. Smile
It is way easier than hacking the sensor.

I don't know. I guess "hacking" a sensor is easier but also has worse consequences. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I already downloaded DCRaw source. Program is not very difficult .. but then I should understand the algorithm also .. Confused

Or just change something and see if I get b&w or some caleidoscopic effect. Very Happy