Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The Spotmatic is here
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: The Spotmatic is here Reply with quote

After a long wait (and a failed transactions on ebay for the Spotmatic F Crying or Very sad) the Spotmatic II arrived today. Impressive. Its in pretty good shape with normal scratches on the bottom plate and a missing part on the hotshoe.

The meter works but here is where I need some help. The battery size is quite odd. SR/LR 44's are too thick and wont fit. SR 43 just fit but the battery cover wont screw in fully. Just checked http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_battery_sizes and it seems SR 54 would be a good fit. Any other suggestions?

Even with the SR43 while checking the battery, at B and ASA100 instaed of the needle dropping towards - it swung up to the + sign. Is this normal?

Now, as I understand there should be a "plate" on the hotshoe which is missing. Is the hotshoe interchangeable with the K1000. I have a non-working K1000 and can swap the hotshoe but have no clue as to how to get that "Plate" out.

Thanks for all the help.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out this thread:
http://forum.mflenses.com/my-first-spotmatic-t24119.html

I use Excel S400PX with no problems, got a bunch from mdbattery cheap.

The missing bit on the hot shoe - what is that that shows through? I don't think the missing bit will matter, as the center pin contact is there and the foot should gound to the shoe itself.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
check out this thread:

The missing bit on the hot shoe - what is that that shows through? I don't think the missing bit will matter, as the center pin contact is there and the foot should gound to the shoe itself.

Nice buy! I like the look of the SMC lens.

The S400PX battery is also known as 387S. It has an insulating collar to prevent it shorting out in the Spotmatic battery compartment.

Nesster is right, a flash will still work in the hotshoe without the plate, but it might not be very secure unless you use the foot clamp. Besides hiding the screwheads, the plate has two springy arms which keep the flash tightly fitted in the shoe and they also have lips which prevent the flash sliding right through. I haven't checked yet but I've probably got a spare one if you need it. Let me know the address please.

I'd suggest giving the camera a good workout before worrying about the hotshoe. The shutter curtains can become sluggish so check exposures at all shutter speeds. Also check the meter against a handheld one or against a known accurate camera, and check that the meter switch drops down and switches off the meter when the shutter is released, otherwise the battery will drain. This is a common fault.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 SPIIs and an SPF (still awaiting repair). I don't care much for the SPF and the open apeture metering, I much prefer the SPII.

I'm sure you will enjoy the Spotmatic. It's a great camera.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
check out this thread:

Thanks Jussi, I have been checking that thread. This battery is not available in the photo stores, I shall have to check the local watch repairer.

The orange bit on the picture is some weird sticker and not something missing (since removed Very Happy ).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Nice buy! I like the look of the SMC lens.

Thanks Peter, it is really a wonderfull experience to look at the almost life size image through the VF with the 55/1.8.

Quote:
The S400PX battery is also known as 387S. It has an insulating collar to prevent it shorting out in the Spotmatic battery compartment.

Thanks for the tips. I hope when I put the SR43 yesterday I did not damage the circuit in some way.

Quote:
Nesster is right, a flash will still work in the hotshoe without the plate, but it might not be very secure unless you use the foot clamp. Besides hiding the screwheads, the plate has two springy arms which keep the flash tightly fitted in the shoe and they also have lips which prevent the flash sliding right through. I haven't checked yet but I've probably got a spare one if you need it. Let me know the address please.

Thanks a lot for the gesture. I shall send you a PM.

Quote:
I'd suggest giving the camera a good workout before worrying about the hotshoe. The shutter curtains can become sluggish so check exposures at all shutter speeds. Also check the meter against a handheld one or against a known accurate camera, and check that the meter switch drops down and switches off the meter when the shutter is released, otherwise the battery will drain. This is a common fault.

Thats exactly what I was doing the first thing I laid my hands on it. The shutter "sounds" correct at all the speeds with the characteristic buzzz of the mechanical shutter at slower speeds. The self Timer works. The meter switch drops fine after the shutter is fired and the meter is switched off. I shall have to check with the meter accuracy once I get the correct battery. I think I shall have to search a while for the 387S, maybe a watch repairing store.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I have 2 SPIIs and an SPF (still awaiting repair). I don't care much for the SPF and the open apeture metering, I much prefer the SPII.

I'm sure you will enjoy the Spotmatic. It's a great camera.

Thanks Martin. In fact my 55/1.8, 28/3.5 and the 135/3.5 are all SMC. Only the 200/4 is a Super Tak. This is why I wanted a F. But I am in love with the SP II at first site Very Happy