Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My first Spotmatic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: My first Spotmatic Reply with quote

I won a Spotmatic SP including a Super Takumar 55/1.8 on the local Ebay ("marktplaats") for 30 euros. I hope to pick it up this afternoon or tomorrow Smile and I hope the condition is as good as the pictures suggest.

Last edited by eeyore_nl on Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations!

Let us know how it works & show us the baby pictures of your new arrival Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be lucky whole new Y2010. Congrats!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got my first one last week. love it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:
got my first one last week. love it.

The seller notified me that he found out that the mirror was stuck, and he advised me to find another camera.

However, he offered me the SMC Takumar 55/1.8 for 10 euros. I think that's a very reasonable price.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mirror is probably just stuck to the sticky foam that used to be a bumper to cut down on vibration. You'll be hard pressed to find a Spotmatic that hasn't been refurbished that doesn't have this problem.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it eeyore, even if the mirror is stuck or the shutter is jammed. Often these things can be repaired quite easily and the chances are that the camera hasn't been used a lot, so it can be a very nice, clean example. Here's a link to how to unjam a Spottie, it's a very common problem, and if you need any other advice, like adapting it for a modern battery, we'll see if we can help.
http://forum.mflenses.com/jammed-spotmatic-t7169.html

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, it went a bit different this afternoon. Anyway, for 30 euros I went home with a:

- Praktica MTL-3 in (as it seems) good working condition
- Pentax Super Takumar 55/1.8
- Beroflex 75-200/4.5

Now I need a new battery for the Praktica, to test if the light meter still works.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an SPF that had an occasion sticky shutter. It was easily fixed by removing the bottom plate.

On another note I bought my 4th Spotmatic today, which was my 3rd SPii (my favourite model).

If Mr Eyeore would like one of my SPii models which has new light seals, a shutter & light meter that functions, I'd like to let him have 1st refusal unless he's happy with his MTL3 (I have one of those too and they aren't bad).

Last edited by martinsmith99 on Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

If Mr Eyeore would like one of my SPii models which has new light seals, a shutter & light meter that functions, I'd like to let him have 1st refusal unless he's happy with his MTL3 (I have one of those too and they aren't bad).

Martin, Thank you for your kind offer. I will certainly keep that in mind ... but of course only if you want to sell it Smile

I haven't checked the light seals of the MTL3, but mechanically the camera looks fine, and I just loaded a roll of 400 ISO HEMA film (is produced by Fuji), so I will know soon if it's OK.

Johan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, it's sat here waiting to be used, but I have so many film cameras at the moment I think I may drown in them. I think they're breeding.

It won't go on the bay as I want to keep it in our community. So let me know if you want it.

For the price of light seals I would fit a new set anyway to the Praktica. The hinge seals are always shot.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckily the prakticas don't really suffer much from that junky foam problem. Inside the camera the prism and ground-glass are usually fixed together (so no light-leaks between them). And the light-catchers around the film back are filled with that durable rope material that virtually holds up forever. You could probably redo the mirror bumper hidden behind that thin piece of metal, and like Martin said the hinge seal, but that's about it. You got yourself a solid camera!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned hinge seal from experience. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I feel that stupid thin piece of felt has been the downfall to many rolls of film. I'm really sad that the ebayer interslice stopped selling big generic kits (with lots of different foams and felts), as opposed to camera specific ones. I guess there is just more money in it that way.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? That is such a shame. I bought 1 large kit & 1 small. I still have a fair bit left.

I will email him next time I need more and ask if the kits are still available.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know if they are. That would be fantastic. I had bought a few of the larger kits but those damn Zenits require a fair bit of foam, so after rebuilding 8 or so, I was sunk.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woohoo! My SPii arrived Smile (thanks Martin!)

The light meter works flawlessly with a modern battery (compared to a Canon 20D). For now it's loaded with a roll of Kodak Gold 400 to test it. My intention is to use it for landscape and/or B&W photography.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it survived the postal gnomes. Laughing

Interestingly Kodak Gold used to be my film of choice when testing cameras. I've come to appreciate the film when so many others turn their nose up at it. I still have one more roll left which I'm saving for a special occasion. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a quick pic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love my first spotmatic, too. i may even like it more than my minolta a5, but don't tell her ...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own SPF but the shutter button is hard to press. I have to press all way down/inside to release it. You might need a addtional "soft release botton" that can find at bidding site. Mike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djmike wrote:
I own SPF but the shutter button is hard to press. I have to press all way down/inside to release it. You might need a addtional "soft release botton" that can find at bidding site. Mike

No problems here.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djmike wrote:

Hi Mike, the reason for this is that the little loose stud under the shutter button has fallen out or was forgotten when the cover was last replaced. I have a spare one I can send you and it's VERY simple to replace if you are able to remove the camera top cover. I have bumped up a thread in the Equipment Care section which tells you how to remove the cover. Send me a PM with your address if you want to go ahead. Alternatively I could repair it for you, but the postage for the camera both ways will be much more expensive.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What surprises me, is that my Spotmatic SPII seems to meter correctly with a modern 1.5V battery. I just checked outside (I have it with me in the car). Middle of the day, heavily overcast sky, and the meter suggests 100ASA / 125 / f/4.5 which seems pretty reasonable to me. Of course the proof of the pudding is in the tasting, so I need to wait until my test roll is developed. But it doesn't seem to be something like one or two stops off, giving those meter values.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's lots of debates over the use of batteries in the Spotmatics. I know my workhorse is out under low lighting. I've never tested the accuarcy of that one with a modern battery.

I must say that pic of it there really makes it look good.

How are you finding it against the MTL3? A big difference isn't there!

P.S All Spotmatics make a strange ticking sound at 1/30 shutter speed. It fooled me too.