Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My slide down the slippery slope begins?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:09 am    Post subject: My slide down the slippery slope begins? Reply with quote

I'm an old school film shooter (started with a Spotmatic in High School and shot Mamiya TLRs for weddings & portraits (long after most everyone else abandoned them). Not a purist, just poor.

Finally got my first DSLR a year ago and chose a Pentax K200D, in large part because it would take old glass easily. My first MF lens for it was a S-M-C Takumar 50mm Macro f4 and I absolutely LOVE it.

On its way to me now is a screwmount collection of 5 Super Takumars, a Takumar, and three bodies, extension tubes, etc.

One of the Super Taks is another 50mm Macro f4, so i will probably sell that (don't see a need for TWO of 'em) but I expect to keep the others (28mm f3.5, 35mm f3.5, 50mm f1.4, 135mm f3.5). Nothing super special there, just very high quality glass with wonderful build quality. What's not to like?

The Takumar, on the other hand, is something special from a collector's perspective. It is an apparently very rare 100mm f3.5 (preset, I believe). Made in 1957 for a very brief time. I doubt that I will be keeping it, because it probably represents a rare hole in someone's extensive Takumar collection. Still, I'm eager to at least try it out. (Attila found this lenses' more common brother, the 135mm. )

I should have the set in my hands by Friday and I'll try to post some pics here from their maiden voyages on my K200D. You guys are a very bad influence, you know that?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and you're welcome Very Happy Very Happy

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome here! I guess I already know you Wink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

I use a couple of Spotmatics. Great cameras. So good, one of our members named himself after one!
Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, the three bodies included in the kit are:
A well-used black Asahi Pentax Spotmatic (lots of brassing).
A like new silver Honeywell Pentax SPII.
A Chinon CE-4 with power winder (camera described as "jammed" but I'm hopeful it is similar to the easily fixable Spotmatic jam).

Oh, and I forgot to mention I also made a purchase of a Chinon multicoated 200mm f3.5 (m42). Isn't it a bad sign when you've already forgotton new lenses you've recently purchased? Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Just an update... Reply with quote

LBA is an affliction that can strike hard. I had to do a search to find out when I started down the slippery slope and was surprised to find that it was only 4 months ago. It is amazing how quickly deals can find you, especially in the MF arena.

I'm up to approximately 35 lenses now with my most recent acquisition on its way shown below:

These SMC K lenses have been finding me with regularity. I currently have the 50mm f1.2, 50mm f1.4, 55mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, and the one above (on its way). I had (and sold) the fairly rare 18mm f3.5 and a 24mm f3.5 to pay for other purchases.

I've also found some nice stuff for very little, such as a Sears (Tomioka) 55mm f1.4 on a Sears T•L•S for $9.95 and a Pentacon 50mm f1.8 on a black Practica for $4 at a flea market. Also had a friend of a friend trade me a Spotmatic with Super Takumar 55mm f1.8 and another Pentacon 50mm f1.8 in exchange for repairing the foot on his Canon flash.

I was wondering if anyone has found a CURE for this loathsome disease (LBA) yet?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where have you been for 4 months. Come join the LBA support group known as MF lenses! Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Where have you been for 4 months. Come join the LBA support group known as MF lenses! Laughing

hahahaha, yes, you cant use these hit-n-run tactics of yours and be calling yourself lba affected.
You need to jump in with both feet! Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Just an update... Reply with quote

cheekygeek wrote:

I was wondering if anyone has found a CURE for this loathsome disease (LBA) yet?

Yes, I have: sell me the 100mm f/3.5 Takumar (we were talking about that last year) Wink

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would certainly be honored to be found in a collection as gorgeous as yours, Spotmatic!

(Never athropomorphize Takumars. They HATE it when you do that.)

Seriously: I am not completely adverse to finding it a new home.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grats cheekygreek, that's a mighty set of lenses you got!
and sweet cameras too!

lenses you don't really need any other than those you already got now,
but wait, this is on APS-C sensor, not on film, so you will need a 24mm, or even a 20mm or 17mm, and a 85mm is real sweet too Laughing