Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Getting into the Contax world.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Getting into the Contax world. Reply with quote

Hello there,

I am thinking of getting into the Contax SLR world in 2010.
For the lenses there will be not much to discuss since my favourite focal lengths are 24/25, 50 and 135. Since there is no point to add one of these lenses to a Nikon DSLR I will need a Contax body as well. The question is which one to get. I am not that familiar with Contax and hoping for some help here.
For a start the Body shouldn't be too expensive. I know the RTSIII or AX are the flagships but the price will be to much. I don't need an advanced camera. Main point will be that it should be reliable and with an accurate meter.
I have seen that the old RTS (1st version) are going quiet cheap. Does it fullfill my needs or are there some known issues.
Which other bodys are recomendable.

Thanks
Tobias

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am happy with the 167MT
I have also the RTSIII, but it is heavy for walk around

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tobias, I have a 167MT that works perfectly, and I don't use anymore after I bought the RX and AX.

It is small but with a very large viewfinder. It can work both in manual and with all automations including the MM mode (which not all Contax cameras offer).

I only ask for 120 Euros + shipping, which is a lower price than most other current offerings on Ebay. And with my camera you are sure that it works perfectly, because I say it Wink

Orio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Orio, I sent a PM.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 167MT is nice. It may take a little time to get used to the unconventional slider control for shutter speed and aperture control, but I like it, and find it easy.

The Aria is newer and very tempting (well, it tempted me so I bought one) ; it is very light and compact, and pretty much an ideal mount for the lens range you are interested in.

The original RTS is still an excellent camera, and has a light and very sensitive shutter release, a distinctive feature. It does not feature Multi-Mode control as do the later Contax bodies, but frankly, it's no great loss, and it will mount MM versions of the CY lenses as well as the AE type anyway. All it means is that you work in Av (aperture priority) rather than Tv (shutter priority) or Program modes, and Av is far and away the most common mode. I can't think when I last used shutter priority mode. Also, AE versions of lenses tend to be cheaper than the MM versions, and are optically indistinguishable.

Before my Aria arrived, I used a 159MT, which is a little gem. It, like the Aria and other later Contax SLRs, takes MM as well as AE lenses, and has Program modes in addition to Av mode, but there is no Tv mode, as there is with the 167MM.

Orio's price for the 167MM is good, and though I do not know the fine fellow personally, it's a far more reliable prospect than an eBay stranger. It's also about a third the price I paid for my 167MM a good few years ago.

If you go for the 167MM, keep an eye out for the optional battery pack, which converts it from using AAA batteries to AA batteries. It also makes the camera sit better in the hands.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also want to enter SLR world with Contax. Actually not specifically Contax brand but as I want to use Zeiss lenses I prefer Contax/Yashica bayonet and that's why the cam can be Yashica too.

I did not want to open a new topic as it would be very close to this one. Hope you do not mind IANUS.

First of all I would like to know what are the specifications that I need to look for in a SLR cam of this kind. For manual focusing a bright large viewfinder is a must IMO so that would be my priority. Also a good working lightmeter is very important. What else is a critical specification that I should look for? Please also name a model that has the specifications that you will suggest.

Thanks...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I will take photos of my 167MT

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tharos wrote:
I want to use Zeiss lenses I prefer Contax/Yashica bayonet and that's why the cam can be Yashica too.

If you are just dipping your toe in the water, and are looking for a Yashica body as an inexpensive way of mounting CZ lenses, then the FX-3 is a good option. It can be had for a song, or even just the first verse of a song. It's basic, with a standard run of shutter speeds from 1-1000, no mirror lockup (though the self timer trips the mirror at the start of the countdown), and no depth of field preview. The meter is a simple '- o +' LED readout, red for under/over, and green for OK. It's accurate and reliable ; I've checked mine against my Sekonic meter and my other Contax bodies, and it's spot on.

Mine is thirty years old and still in regular use. Viewfinder is good and clear without being outstanding ; after all, when you add outstanding features, you add to the cost.

These cameras can be had cheaply because they often looks terribly used, but only because the leatherette covering is notorious for coming off easily. The body is polycarbonate but the chassis is metal. Whack a 50mm Planar on the front (or as I often like, a 45mm 'pancake' Tessar), and you have a camera that is optically a match for any other on the market, regardless of make. There is an FX-3 Super 2000, which has a top speed of 2000th, but I think this model was made in China. The FX-3 was made in Japan. The original model, without 'Super' in the name, has a small button adjacent to the lever wind, and when you press on it with your thumb, it activates the meter. The 'Super' model is identical, but instead of the separate meter button, the meter is activated by a half press on the shutter release.

There is a Quartz version, the FX-D Quartz, which is similar but has a metal shell, and has an AE exposure mode in addition to the manual 1-1000. The caveat with this model, otherwise excellent, is that it is battery dependent, as the battery operates the shutter as well as the meter, and there is no manual fallback speed. On the FX-3, the battery only operates the meter, the shutter is mechanical.

You'd be hard pressed to better this little gem without spending three or four times its average price.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is small, this can be a problem with heavy lens (>500g)
the manual mode is tricky with the buttons, but the auto metering work perfectly
big bright viewfinder, no diopter correction

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex : Thanks for the detailed info. Actually I do not have a specific budget for the cam and can spend extra bits if necessary. If buying a cheap cam will not affect anything than of course I prefer the cheap one Smile

What I want to learn is the critical specifications that I should look for. As I mentioned, viewfinder and spot on light meter is important for me. As far as I know these cams do not have a split screen or similar but you have to thrust your eye and focusing ability only (correct me if I am wrong about this). That's why bright and big viewfinder is very important for me. 1/1000 should be enough. I believe mechanical shutter is better for more battery life time, or is it safer if it is battery operated?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I did not want to open a new topic as it would be very close to this one. Hope you do not mind IANUS.

Not at all Wink .

Quote:
As far as I know these cams do not have a split screen or similar but you have to thrust your eye and focusing ability only (correct me if I am wrong about this).

I dont't know these cameras but there should be at least a microprism spot on the screen. Some time back I had a Pentax Spotmatic with such a screen and didn't miss the split image.

poilu wrote:
it is small, this can be a problem with heavy lens (>500g)
the manual mode is tricky with the buttons, but the auto metering work perfectly
big bright viewfinder, no diopter correction

I don't know the size of your hand but the camera looks quite tiny with the Tessar lens.

Is the Tessar a match for the Planar design? Since I will also have to look for a lens I have to decide which one to choose. I think I will start with something around 50mm.

Beside the price and the aperture are there big differences between the 1.7 and the 1.4 Planar and how does the Tessar compare to them?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know much about the tessar but after a quick search I found out that, many people think f1.7 version has better IQ especially stopped down but all agree that 1.4 has that special something. No one can tell whats that special something though Smile

I am very confused about the cams below. Is there a site with detailed info about below cams? Which one would you recommend and why?

167MT
139Quartz
137MD
RTS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tharos wrote:
What I want to learn is the critical specifications that I should look for. As I mentioned, viewfinder and spot on light meter is important for me. As far as I know these cams do not have a split screen or similar but you have to thrust your eye and focusing ability only (correct me if I am wrong about this).

Don't worry, the Yashica cameras have a split-image central focussing spot, and a microprism collar around it. The Contax Aria is similar, the main difference being that the image on the FX-3 splits diagonally, and that on the Aria splits horizontally. I find the diagonal split more useful, since I'm less likely to have to tilt the camera in order to find an appropriate strong line in the image to focus on. The Fresnel area of the Aria is a little crisper than in the FX-3, but that should be little surprise, as the Aria generally costs around ten times what an FX-3 would fetch.

I've just compared my Aria and my FX-3 with the Planar 1.7/50 fitted. In daylight, there's little between them, although in low light, the Aria's edge-to-edge focussing screen is better. I have to say I've never had any problem focussing the FX-3, and I've used it on telescopes and microscopes too. As I said, the Aria's screen has an edge, but given its sophistication as a camera, I'd be annoyed if it didn't. The screen I like best is that on my RTS (I), the original Contax in the RTS line. The screen on that is a simple microprism dot, but the body can accept interchangeable screens, including clear glass with crosshairs -- useful if you are focussing on aerial images. The FX-3 doesn't accept interchangeable screens. Incidentally, the 167MT also has user-interchangeable screens, though be aware that there are different ranges of screens for different Contax models ; but there's plenty of information on the net (especially Mike Butkus's excellent site for Contax) so that you know which screens fit which model.

Quote:
1/1000 should be enough. I believe mechanical shutter is better for more battery life time, or is it safer if it is battery operated?

I've never used a shutter speed faster than 1000, even though some of my Contaxes go up to 4000. How important shutter speed accuracy is depends on the demands you intend to make on the camera. I've found the FX-D to be very accurate, but I always remember the shot I missed -- a lizard-like creature on a rock in the sun who turned his head and stared straight at me -- because the battery failed. I hadn't followed my own advice to put a fresh set in before a major outing. The shutter on my FX-3 is empirically accurate in that I happily use it for slide film. For slides I always use a separate meter, not because the FX-3's meter isn't up to it -- it's very accurate -- but because I've always used incident light metering on my forty year old Weston V. The battery in the FX-3 only powers the meter, not the shutter. If the battery goes, the camera still works, and you just use a hand-held meter instead.

For negative film, I think film latitude far exceeds average imprecision in mechanical shutter speeds.

I honestly don't think you'd be disappointed with an FX-3, and even if it turns out not to have a viewfinder that suits any critical applications you have in mind, it is cheap enough not to be money wasted, and makes an excellent backup camera. Hopefully others contributing to this thread will expand the range of options open to you with their own experience.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my 167MT
I would describe it as in very good condition. The only part with visible used marks is the bottom, because of the tripod friction.
For the rest, there maybe are very light signs of use, but nothing that comes up at first sight, at least, not to my eyes.
I could not photograph the inside because I have a film in Embarassed sorry
Anyway all's in order.
Like I wrote, the camera works perfectly.

As you see the neckstrap is quite worn out, but, it's the original Contax one, in leather.
There is a battery in the camera and I changed it recently, so it should go on for some time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens used for the shots was my S-Planar 60mm macro Smile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won an auction for Contax 139Q, hope I will be happy with it. Thanks for the help everyone...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Won an auction for Contax 139Q, hope I will be happy with it. Thanks for the help everyone...

Congrats,
it seems that you are a lot faster in decision making than me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my 167MT remains available for sale if someone is interested.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IANUS, I believe I have the GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) Smile

I just set my Contax 139Q and Planar 50mm F1.7 combo (won both auctions yesterday). The Planar might be a bit problematic (infinity and so on) but hope I will solve that when I receive it. IMO you should also start with a cheap combo and go ahead from there building slowly.

I decide to slow down a bit ath this point and test contax+zeiss combo for sometime. Than probably I will hunt for Distagon 28/2.8 Smile (GAS again)

Orio, if only I had more budget for the cam, I would purchase your 167MT. Hope you sell it soon mate. If you decide to sell a Distagon 28mm let me know though Smile

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have the GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome)

I am not sure when this starts but I am afraid that many people in this forum are suffering from that. I may join an "anonymous GAS group" soon to find out.

Quote:
Well my 167MT remains available for sale if someone is interested.

I still have your 167 on my list of interest but I also have the chance to try out a RTS here in Berlin. I will see how it handles and how the condition is. If this is nothing for me I may come back to your offer.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I got me this beauty:

The camera looks like new except for the leather. What did Contax/yashica wrong with it. Many cams on ebay show really bad leather. I have some older ones which don`t behave like that. Anyhow its only a cosmetic issue which I will change soon. Has anyone expierience with Aki-Asahi coverings (http://aki-asahi.com/store/).

From a first glance I like the RTS - classic design and the size fits well in my hands with a big and bright viewfinder.
Another plus is the easy mirror lock-up which might come in handy and the magnetic shutter release. Do the other Contax cams have that release as well? Best thing was the price which was lower than my Spotmatics which I had some time back.

Now the hunt for a lens will start.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi here Ianus.

Contax world is great because of great bodies and fantastic lenses Cool
I was going to buy an Aria but got a nice opportunity and bought an RX, which is a "little" gem. It is a bit heavier than the Aria, but less than the AX or RTS III. Mine was services by trifox cos i got a mirror isssue , now it functions perfect.

You have Av and manual mode ( which i use cos the metering is accurate ) plus with the MM lenses Tv mode and Program which is meh

The price goes around 300$ , i use it with a Planar 50mm 1.7 and the results are superb.

By the way i often go to keh site, and saw lately a ST. The body alone costs 150$ if i recall well, which is quite a bargain, this camera is also highly valuated by the Contax users, i don't know if some here do have it.

Hope you find a cool camera soon !