Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Macro-Takumar F4/50
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:55 am    Post subject: Macro-Takumar F4/50 Reply with quote

Sorry no photos yet...working on it.I have a few questions as I don't want to waste my precious film and try and get some decent shots 1st time to add to this post.
First off I am SO impressed of the detail that you get in the viewfinder for example the veins on the rose petal...although as I am realizing the Ricohs use a split viewfinder and it is pretty crap as half of the finder is always shaded so unsure if it is a fault in the Ricoh.
1)I keep forgetting to move the F stop off of F4 as It still lines up with the in camera exposure meter.Will it be able to work on the F4 setting at 250 in late afternoon sun...filtered onto the rose that I was trying to capture.
2) My tripod sux...what is a good tripod for macro and getting in and out of rose gardens.My tripod is a Velbon plastic CX680,I got it cheap enough off of ebay...I find it is to stiff and creaky the controls are not easy to adjust. I have an older metal (large) Velbon VG-3.

Thanks for any help on using this lens properly.

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1018376.html#1018376
Added link to photos

Last edited by mo on Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:32 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Macro-Takumar 1.4/50 Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:

2) My tripod sux...what is a good tripod for macro and getting in and out of rose gardens.My tripod is a Velbon plastic CX680,I got it cheap enough off of ebay...I find it is to stiff and creaky the controls are not easy to adjust. I have an older metal (large) Velbon VG-3.

This all depends on what you want to do. Gitzo tripods are reknown and industry-standard stuff with pro league photogs, but Manfrotto tripods will do the job just as well. Carbon fibre pods are always easier to carry around, but aluminum pods might be a bit sturdier. I have a Velbon monopod which is great, but a Manfrotto 190XProB tripod which has a horizontally-tilting centre column (so it's either vertical or horizontal). The legs have a regular flip-lever lock which mostly isn't easy (or quick) to change, but I would actually say suggest you get a mid-price Manfrotto tripod and a good hydrostatic ball head or a pistol grip head so that manipulating the position of your camera is as easy as possible. A quick release plate might come in handy too.

Here are some articles on outdoor macro photography by Manfrotto, actually!

But you should really go to your local photog store and try out the tripods and heads to see which fits you best. Everyone has their own preferences!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The macro is an f/4 lens, not f/1.4 Razz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Macro-Takumar 1:4/50 Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:

First off I am SO impressed of the detail that you get in the viewfinder for example the veins on the rose petal...although as I am realizing the Ricohs use a split viewfinder and it is pretty crap as half of the finder is always shaded so unsure if it is a fault in the Ricoh.

1)I keep forgetting to move the F stop off of F4 as It still lines up with the in camera exposure meter.Will it be able to work on the F4 setting at 250 in late afternoon sun...filtered onto the rose that I was trying to capture.

The finder thing's not a Ricoh fault - all split viewfinders get that half dark with a slow lens. Try moving your eye around, there's usually a sweet spot where the two halves almost are lit at the same time Wink

1) if your cam's on Av or similar, then it's metering at f/4. If you are manually metering, and you metered at your intended f/stop (say, f/11), then you'll be over exposing at f/4.

2) depends on yr. budget and willingness to lug weight and size. Larsr gave good advice... though, there are other brands of tripod to consider as well Wink A good thing to look for is adjustable legs so you can get the camera close to the ground for them roses, when needed. The weight capacity usually is a good indicator of stability - you want a good margin there. And a quick release head is very nice to have, as otherwise you'll be spending time screwing and unscrewing the camera and tripod...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The macro is an f/4 lens, not f/1.4
Embarassed Very Happy

The tripod does have a quick release plate and adjustable legs so maybe it's my lack of skill Rolling Eyes
I have seen those Manfrotto ball heads and yes one day I will get one Very Happy

Quote:
Try moving your eye around, there's usually a sweet spot where the two halves almost are lit at the same time Wink

Thanks for this piece of information....I had noticed it does indeed change when you move the camera around.....does anyone know if Ricohs have interchangeable screens?

From the advice given I see it is really a game of patience and learning and secondly getting the right equipment.Thanks I am encouraged again to go and try again and take my time.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:

The tripod does have a quick release plate and adjustable legs so maybe it's my lack of skill :roll:
I have seen those Manfrotto ball heads and yes one day I will get one :D

The QRP is only good if you need to get off the tripod quickly, but the ball head is worth considering as that's the piece you can get smooth, precise and small movement with. Legs with any tripod really are a nuisance to extend/contract, at least smoothly.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Nesster said, Lars gave you a good advice regarding the tripod. But man, it's so damn expensive a Gitzo, and then you have to buy a ballhead. The combo could get you close to a thousand buck skins and over.
I wait for my tripod to come. I place the order this week with Feisol for a 3301-tripod and 40D ballhead + column+quick release plate for 70-200 + shipping= 467$

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a SLIK AMT, the largest one (700? may be the model number) which is quite a bit cheaper, and pretty damn solid. But large, heavy. I'm thinking their next two or three smaller models may be adequate for when I'm needing to carry a pod around a bit.

I like that I can adjust the legs independently and spread them wide, as well as reverse the center column, to get very low.

The promise of expensive carbon fiber legs is stability with lighter weight - which if you carry the damn thing around does make a difference. And the better heads are silkier to handle and perhaps more stable.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Why don't you make a trip to some of the photo gear stores where you live ?
Sometimes, there is old stock that could do the job really well (i managed to get my Gitzo 1415 this way, at less than 30% of its catalog price, when Gitzo renewed its line three years ago ...)

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,I am a bargain shopper not many shops down where I am but worth a try in the ones that are around.I have watched a few ball heads go on e bay for at least 1/2 price of what's in the shops.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Required reading.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,It makes sense to wait and buy what I need properly not rushed Wink

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoFo look at the offerings of one Phoebe-G on Ebay. They sell some very reasonably priced Fancier tripods with ball heads as well as macro rails and other goodies. While not being the Gitzmo or Manfrotto products they are of pretty decent quality and quite affordable.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mate,will do.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received the tripod 2 days ago, that is thursday afternoon.
Boy, those Feisol are damn fast. I placed the order monday afternoon, which was like almost tuesday morning for Taiwan( am I right Mo-Fo. You should now better). Tuesday morning to me, I read the email: your package has been shipped, bla ,bla.
Thursday afternoon, DHL is ringing my bell. Yeah, I payed another 63 bucks, the cut to our beloved government. But I was aware of that.